Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

42ndStreetFreak 14th March 2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 67102)
Ironmaster

Well this was a surprise! I was expecting this to be a dreadful but fun sword'n'sorcery thing kind of Umberto Lenzi's version of Conan The Barbarian or Conquest or something. But in some ways it is more like Quest For Fire...if a tacky, pulp version thereof!

It tells of advanced Stone Age tribes whose universe changes when the evil banished member (George Eastman) accidentally discovers iron in the form of a roughly sword shaped slab of the metal formed by a volcanic eruption. With this new wonder weapon he sets about conquering the lands and tribes therein, This advance in materials technology has profound effects until the brain of the protagonist comes up with a riposte...missile technogy (ie the bow and arrow!)...

Anyhow, it is really very well done for 80s Lenzi and remains gripping throughout. It is not going to win any awards for anthrological correctness which is good as it means there are ape-men also involved - with quite astonishly excellent make-up/costume design. Some cave dwellers carrying leprosy or similar provide Lenzi with an opportunity to indulge in his favoured "zombies that aren't really zombies" schtick. Again the make-up on these folk is very good, indeed gore and wound effects are pretty fine throughout.

So, I liked this film, Indeed, I think it may well be my favourite 80s Lenzi flick - that I have yet seen, of course. I am fairly sure that this is not available on DVD (I watched a copy of a panned and scanned VHS print), which is a shame. The depiction and treatment of animals during the film might also mean that any UK release would have to be cut...that is, in the unlikely event of a revival of interest in musclebound sword-waving epics!

Seen this, but don't remember much at all.
I have the UK pre-cert with that GREAT wraparound cover that looks like a Frazetta fantasy painting.

No idea if that's cut.

antmumford 14th March 2010 10:12 PM

This weekend I are been mostly watching.....

Broken Embraces - Penelope Cruz stars yet again in a great Pedro Almodovar flick. It's slow paced but still an effective film. It's his longest film to date and to be honest it did feel like it but it didn't deter me (Kelly fell asleep half way through, she's not good with subtitles.) It's about a blind scriptwriter (who was a film director previously when he had his vision) who's past gets explained in flashbacks. Can't say much else but the story has lot's of layers that eventually unravel at the end for it's satisfying conclusion. Cruz is as enchanting as ever and channels images of actresses from Monroe to Audrey Hepburn through her various masks of hair, clothes and make-up. Not my favourite of his but glad I saw it. I'd give it 3 and a half stars.

Survival of the Dead - You all know the premise I'm sure so i won't waste your time. I thought it was good, not great by any means but good enough to keep me smiling throughout. Way better than Diary, although that's not too hard to achieve. Had lot's of gore throughout and some comical zombie kills too. It all seemed a little tongue in cheek though. It had a comical side which I didn't expect George to start doing as his previous 'Dead' films have been relatively serious in their matter. Acting was mediocre, some good and some bad I guess. Overall then it get's 3 stars.

Cat O'Nine Tails - I liked it, kept me guessing throughout trying to figure who was the killer. Wasn't predictable like most modern thrillers. Acting was brilliant by all and it had a cool car chase scene which I wish went on a lot longer (my can that girl drive or what?) It had some comical elements in it which seem to be a recurrence for Dario's early work. Overall thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to seeing 'Flies' now to complete the trilogy. 3 and a half stars.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th March 2010 10:31 PM

Can't say I'm a fan of Penelope cruz and probably in the minority but I just don't see her "beauty".

pedromonkey 14th March 2010 10:45 PM

im with you stevo, she's got an odd face. not a fan

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th March 2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 67126)
Survival of the Dead - You all know the premise I'm sure so i won't waste your time. I thought it was good, not great by any means but good enough to keep me smiling throughout. Way better than Diary, although that's not too hard to achieve. Had lot's of gore throughout and some comical zombie kills too. It all seemed a little tongue in cheek though. It had a comical side which I didn't expect George to start doing as his previous 'Dead' films have been relatively serious in their matter. Acting was mediocre, some good and some bad I guess. Overall then it get's 3 stars.

Cat O'Nine Tails - I liked it, kept me guessing throughout trying to figure who was the killer. Wasn't predictable like most modern thrillers. Acting was brilliant by all and it had a cool car chase scene which I wish went on a lot longer (my can that girl drive or what?) It had some comical elements in it which seem to be a recurrence for Dario's early work. Overall thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to seeing 'Flies' now to complete the trilogy. 3 and a half stars.

Phew! That's good to here that it's better than Diary! Would you say its worse than Land though Ant? I'll have to check this one out.

Nice call on Cat O'Nine Tails - it's a great little movie. I really need to get a better DVD of this - mine is utter crap.

Watched the international version of Opera (Arrow Video) and it was better than I remembered it was - been a while since I last saw it. The rock music is great!

SeanFracture 15th March 2010 12:15 AM

The Beyond and City of the Living Dead last night. Seeing them side by side, City came across as the better film, but The Beyond's ending is one of my all time favourites. Catriona MacColl, mmm. :)

Then watched The Fog last night, really nothing to be said - classic Carpenter.

Finally, saw Green Zone at the cinema. It was good, nothing more. Enjoyable war movie, better than Body of Lies, not as good as The Hurt Locker, to draw comparisons with recent similar films.

SeanFracture 15th March 2010 12:18 AM

Green Zone, today.

pedromonkey 15th March 2010 12:55 AM

im gonna be watching The Road in 20 minutes, have heard it's a bit of downer, but what the hey. To anyone thinking of watching 2012, don't bother, utter wank, 2 1/2 hours of it.

Gojirosan 15th March 2010 01:52 AM

The Oasis Of Fear

Second Lenzi film of the day and it's a stormer. Back in 1971 Umberto seemed still to give a shit about film itself rather than bill paying hackwork (not that some of his hackwork of the '80s is not entertainnig in its own way!). This is one of the best films of his I have yet seen. A superb story, brilliant performances and stylishly shot. A total winner.

Popcorn

A pretty darned decent comedy horror from the early '90s. Nicely played with some familiar faces and a bunch of "teens" who you don't necessarily want dead yourself! A nice little discovery - apparently Alan Ormsby was an uncredited co-director and writer.

vincenzo 15th March 2010 12:23 PM

The Optimists

Possibly my all-time favourite Peter Sellers film. Deliberately grungy filming (mostly in Battersea) and with two brilliant performances from John Chaffey and especially Donna Mullane.