Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2017, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Tex and the Lords of the Deep

Mid eighties Italian western with fantasy elements that is pretty crap. It sort of reminded me of those dull mid 50s adventure films that were on tv when I was a kid. Stewart Granger would have been in it if it had been made 30 years earlier.

Sadko

Excellent Russian fantasy film from 1952 with some amazing effects, images and sets. The picture below is from it. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c2ab3fbe8100493006454323362c40d3.jpg (55.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 15th February 2017, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post

Sadko

Excellent Russian fantasy film from 1952 with some amazing effects, images and sets. The picture below is from it. Recommended.

She's one hell of a bird!
Old 15th February 2017, 11:55 PM
Ex-member

Dead and Buried(1981) Potter's Bluff seems like tourist's quiet tranquil little paradise until the they encounter the locals who welcome them with vicious beatings, burnings, and usually horrifying deaths. So it seems..I won't say too much more about that. In comes the sheriff(James Farentino) believing things are just a little off about the first couple of victims that he can't put his finger on. His suspicions will only grow stronger as more victims come to light. Hopefully with the help of local mortician(Jack Albertson)things will become clearer and he will solve this mystery. Solid work from Farentino here. The kills are delightful. This is one underrated, atmospheric, and compelling gem.
Old 16th February 2017, 12:39 AM
Cult Addict

Nice one Rotter, Dead and Buried is one of my favourites of the nastys , and i always think it's underrated, such an entertaining film.
Great poster as well that i've always loved.

ShermanDEAD4.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:23 AM
Ex-member

Definitely a cool poster.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 16th February 2017, 08:50 AM
Cult Veteran

Cover Girl (1944)

The inimitable Rita Hayworth and the amazing Gene Kelly star in this 'Golden Era of Hollywood' musical set in New York and Brooklyn. The questionable plot centres around Rita's character Rusty going after fame and fortune and to live out her dream of dancing on a Broadway stage, however jealous boyfriend Danny (Gene Kelly) uses a bit of subtle emotional blackmail to try and keep her for himself. However plot aside, this is a fantastic movie, lots of great set pieces and songs and some excellent dancing as you would expect from Rita and Gene. I really enjoyed myself watching this from my bed full of cold it was just what I needed.

This particular scene was a stand out, Gene Kelly dancing in synchronization with his reflection that jumped off the glass - it's fantastic!

Please enjoy in full

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2017, 08:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Cover Girl (1944)

The inimitable Rita Hayworth and the amazing Gene Kelly star in this 'Golden Era of Hollywood' musical set in New York and Brooklyn. The questionable plot centres around Rita's character Rusty going after fame and fortune and to live out her dream of dancing on a Broadway stage, however jealous boyfriend Danny (Gene Kelly) uses a bit of subtle emotional blackmail to try and keep her for himself. However plot aside, this is a fantastic movie, lots of great set pieces and songs and some excellent dancing as you would expect from Rita and Gene. I really enjoyed myself watching this from my bed full of cold it was just what I needed.
Why do you call it a questionable plot, Justin?
Old 16th February 2017, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Why do you call it a questionable plot, Justin?
The way it was delivered more than the actual intent, obviously he doesn't want to lose his girlfriend that's a natural feeling, but if he encouraged her rather then held her back then she never would have left him in the first place Then when she was wooed by the big time he turns his back on her and tries to make her jealous that he's moved on, it seemed a bit bitter.

Old 16th February 2017, 09:07 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The way it was delivered more than the actual intent, obviously he doesn't want to lose his girlfriend that's a natural feeling, but if he encouraged her rather then held her back then she never would have left him in the first place Then when she was wooed by the big time he turns his back on her and tries to make her jealous that he's moved on, it seemed a bit bitter.
I was looking at the combo disc the other day. It's not a film i'm familiar with even though i do have a box set of Rita's films.

The plot sounds a wee bit dull if i'm honest. I might just buy the old Columbia dvd version at some point for £4.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:13 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was looking at the combo disc the other day. It's not a film i'm familiar with even though i do have a box set of Rita's films.

The plot sounds a wee bit dull if i'm honest. I might just buy the old Columbia dvd version at some point for £4.
Yeah, that's the entire plot! It's a 'style over substance' movie to be honest. If you're a fan of singing and dancing, plus all the women are gorgeous, then it's worth a go.

Like this? Share it using the links below!