Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2017, 10:17 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Yeah, that's the entire plot! It's a 'style over substance' movie to be honest. If you're a fan of singing and dancing, plus all the women are gorgeous, then it's worth a go.
Had i just watched one or two Hayworth films i probably wouldn't be bothered but it's been a while so the power of subliminal messages is telling me to get it.

I only need to hang fire until the next movie cravings take over.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

Imagine if you will part four of a Jon Pertwee six episode Doctor Who story. Well put simply this is the cinematic equivalent of that scenario.

The story is inessential. If you aren't in the know by now then forget it. Resident Evil:Afterlife is one of those films. In truth it's just what it is, a movie based on a video game. There are plenty of great set pieces on view with terrific creatures and some breath taking action, even a few quiet moments in which star Mila Jovovich and former Prison Break actor (ironically we first see him imprisoned in this too) Wentworth Miller get to shine, but mainly this film is solely concerned with creating a need to stuff down popcorn and moving the narrative on to it's inevitable conclusion however many films down the line.

In the past i've suggested this film is the worst in the series and really not very good at all. However last night's viewing felt like watching a brand new film to me. I didn't recall a thing about it and on the whole i rather enjoyed it. The other day someone said it was the one where the plane lands on the roof and i think i agreed, but only because i didn't remember the sequence from any of the other films. (Must have fallen asleep previously).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resident_Afterlife_Logo.jpg (101.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th February 2017, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
Yeah, it is the worst one I've seen up to this point (not seen 5 or 6 yet) but it does have some fun bits, mostly the bits in the prison facility. The flashbacks weren't handled very well and they felt a bit confusing and then once it got to the ship it just descended into ludicrous territory.

It's a very LOUD film, i'll give it that. Apparently the new one is even louder

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2017, 11:54 AM
Ex-member

The Lost Weekend(1945) The movie that risked the entire career of Ray Milland. He put up his lively hood career on a part that at the time shunned by most in the Hollywood elite circles, all the big names you could think must have thought he was truly mad to take on a part like this but he did and it was worth it. As a viewer and a fan of his work what he did with his role as chronic alcoholic Don Birnam during a mere four day period of this desperate man's life was astounding to the very least. Milland truly was and disappeared into Birnam only a truly great awe inspiring actor and more importantly man can do that. You feel and felt this man's desperation, his pain, and through his dialogues with everyone you got to really know him onscreen yet it felt you knew him personally. The supporting cast are no slouches here either. Even Billy Wilder was more on his A game than ever and honestly in my opinion never came this close again even though he was a brilliant director from the beginning until the end. The "happy ending" is the only bright spot I understand why they did this from all angles, if they had gone with a more darker ending all involved would have perished career wise but its Millands Birnam disturbing journey that matters most here. He was in Hell and if we all were to have written it in a real way we would know he was only headed towards death. Its not a PERFECT movie there is no such thing but given the subject matter I really do believe its a near flawless movie about alcoholism and the demons he...(maybe not alcoholism exclusively) but all of us carry within us. Even though Milland had many roles countless some forgettable some good it may seem he, will never be forgotten ever because of this movie.

Oh if this review is a bit muddled and unnecessarily long I have been drinking for the last hour or so...simple put I can relate to this character like not many others ever before and its an unforgettable journey that you should experience at least once in your life time.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottingaway View Post
The Lost Weekend(1945) The movie that risked the entire career of Ray Milland. He put up his lively hood career on a part that at the time shunned by most in the Hollywood elite circles, all the big names you could think must have thought he was truly mad to take on a part like this but he did and it was worth it. As a viewer and a fan of his work what he did with his role as chronic alcoholic Don Birnam during a mere four day period of this desperate man's life was astounding to the very least. Milland truly was and disappeared into Birnam only a truly great awe inspiring actor and more importantly man can do that. You feel and felt this man's desperation, his pain, and through his dialogues with everyone you got to really know him onscreen yet it felt you knew him personally. The supporting cast are no slouches here either. Even Billy Wilder was more on his A game than ever and honestly in my opinion never came this close again even though he was a brilliant director from the beginning until the end. The "happy ending" is the only bright spot I understand why they did this from all angles, if they had gone with a more darker ending all involved would have perished career wise but its Millands Birnam disturbing journey that matters most here. He was in Hell and if we all were to have written it in a real way we would know he was only headed towards death. Its not a PERFECT movie there is no such thing but given the subject matter I really do believe its a near flawless movie about alcoholism and the demons he...(maybe not alcoholism exclusively) but all of us carry within us. Even though Milland had many roles countless some forgettable some good it may seem he, will never be forgotten ever because of this movie.

Oh if this review is a bit muddled and unnecessarily long I have been drinking for the last hour or so...simple put I can relate to this character like not many others ever before and its an unforgettable journey that you should experience at least once in your life time.
This has been on my 'to-watch' pile for ages, since the Masters of Cinema version came out, I bought the Steelbook. I've been going through some Golden Hollywood films lately so while I'm on a roll I might bump this up the pile to the top.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2017, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Yeah, it is the worst one I've seen up to this point (not seen 5 or 6 yet) but it does have some fun bits, mostly the bits in the prison facility. The flashbacks weren't handled very well and they felt a bit confusing and then once it got to the ship it just descended into ludicrous territory.

It's a very LOUD film, i'll give it that. Apparently the new one is even louder
Part 5, Retribution is my favourite. Part of it goes back to the very beginning of the outbreak which is a lot of fun.

Plus Mila looks really hot.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched Night Has A Thousand Desires (1984, Jesus Franco)
A husband & wife work through their problems in Uncle Jess' inimitable style. Pretty print from Mondo Macabro...really wish I had pulled my finger out for their LIAWS blu....ho hum.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th February 2017, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Romeo's Distress (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 16th February 2017, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I watched Night Has A Thousand Desires (1984, Jesus Franco)
A husband & wife work through their problems in Uncle Jess' inimitable style. Pretty print from Mondo Macabro...really wish I had pulled my finger out for their LIAWS blu....ho hum.
It is rather pretty isn't it? You can still get the standard Blu release of Lizard from most reputable e-tailers... it's just the MM site exclusive release that has sold out.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult Addict

The Hatching

Just what the world needs, a Lake Placid rip off set in Somerset with dumb arse comedy and a Sweeny Todd subplot for good measure. Bollocks.

The Great Alligator

Unremarkable post Jaws jungle fun that looks kind of classy compared to the previous film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!