Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2017, 01:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Absolutely ridiculous at times with the odd touch of quality. Perversely i actually enjoyed this because my expectations were so low and for all it's sloppiness there are one or two very good moments. It's also infinitely superior to The Green Lantern (2011) so isn't quite at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to DC Superhero madness.
It did well at the Razzies!

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jesse Eisenberg / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

WORST SCREEN COMBO
Ben Affleck & His BFF (Baddest Foe Forever) Henry Cavill / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Dawn of Justice

WORST SCREENPLAY
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th February 2017, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It did well at the Razzies!

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jesse Eisenberg / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

WORST SCREEN COMBO
Ben Affleck & His BFF (Baddest Foe Forever) Henry Cavill / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Dawn of Justice

WORST SCREENPLAY
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
All awards well deserved i say. Especially Eisenberg, he should get the award to keep, so to speak.
Old 26th February 2017, 01:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
All awards well deserved i say. Especially Eisenberg, he should get the award to keep, so to speak.
But the film industry won't give a ****,because its made made tonnes of money and no matter what they know people will still flock to see next one, even if that's bad as well,
All their bothered about is making money and a hell of a lot of films do despite how awful they are, these days they only need to announce their going to make a character from marvel or DC and people get excited , even if that's all they announced, and even if film critics despise it people will still go to watch it , and itl never change unless people make a stand and start boycotting films ..

Last edited by gag; 26th February 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
But the film industry won't give a ****,because its made made tonnes of money and no matter what they know people will still flock to see next one, even if that's bad as well,
All their bothered about is making money and a hell of a lot of films do despite how awful they are, these days they only need to announce their going to male a character from marvel or DC and people get excited , even if that's all they announced, and even if film critics despise it people will still go to watch it , and itl never change unless people make a stand and start boycotting films ..
You make a good point, gag.

There are far too many superhero films each year. On the whole i tend to enjoy them when i get round to watching them although i'd never rush out to see one.

My first thought when reading your post was that after almost a century of Hollywood perhaps there aren't many new stories to tell, hence the many sequels and remakes, but that just isn't true.

There are hundreds of books written each year and it's only logical that some must cover new ground, so surely it's up to Hollywood producers to find these ideas and stories and bring them to the big screen. Sci-fi has been in a bit of a golden period recently with films like Interstellar, The Martian and Gravity being three examples, so the stories are out there, they just need to be gambled on.

Having said that. Horror fiction seems to have died a death. I'm sure there is a lot of quality about, it's just i don't know of any new authors. The Likes of King and Poe have been mined to death by Hollywood but i'm sure they could still find a screenplay or two in the unfilmed works of Hutson, Campbell, Laymon etc.

Is it a case of the ideas not being out there, the studio execs who can't be bothered looking for them or lazy audiences who just want two and a half hours of superheroes when they visit the cinema?
Old 26th February 2017, 02:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Is it a case of the ideas not being out there, the studio execs who can't be bothered looking for them or lazy audiences who just want two and a half hours of superheroes when they visit the cinema?
The second. Why would studio execs bother looking for new material when as gag rightly pointed out audiences (at least the moneymaking ones that count) will happily buy the same product over and over again. From the studios point of view it ain't broke so why the hell try fixing it.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The second. Why would studio execs bother looking for new material when as gag rightly pointed out audiences (at least the moneymaking ones that count) will happily buy the same product over and over again. From the studios point of view it ain't broke so why the hell try fixing it.
The way i see it is it will break eventually. One film will crash dramatically then that will be the end of the super hero film. The execs will suddenly shit themselves when Snyder or JJ come around asking for $250m to make a Penisman movie or something because Dr Strange vs Dr Evil flopped big time.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

There are far too many superhero films each year. On the whole i tend to enjoy them when i get round to watching them although i'd never rush out to see one.

My first thought when reading your post was that after almost a century of Hollywood perhaps there aren't many new stories to tell, hence the many sequels and remakes, but that just isn't true.

There are hundreds of books written each year and it's only logical that some must cover new ground, so surely it's up to Hollywood producers to find these ideas and stories and bring them to the big screen. Sci-fi has been in a bit of a golden period recently with films like Interstellar, The Martian and Gravity being three examples, so the stories are out there, they just need to be gambled on.

Having said that. Horror fiction seems to have died a death. I'm sure there is a lot of quality about, it's just i don't know of any new authors. The Likes of King and Poe have been mined to death by Hollywood but i'm sure they could still find a screenplay or two in the unfilmed works of Hutson, Campbell, Laymon etc.

True, but a tadge of both really eg there is a lot of films out there that do offer something different and fresh, but because they might be made say from a independent film maker they don't have the money like warner etc to advertise the film 6months ahead of its release and you get sick of seeing the advert shoved in your face everywhere ,posters, radio , TV ,internet etc .so the indie film gets a small and limited advertisement etc and disappears and becomes a film only a minority of people have heard of .. Not all films are remakes sequels reboots cash in etc .. But because these type of stuff get drummed into at every turn it feels like it and pushes every other film that's not into the background... There is fresh films out there but you have to dig deep and find them ...years ago films where just films like football was just just football..but everything gone to point where everything is now about the money and greed and how much then can get \ earn .. Bit ridiculous how a footballer can earn more in a month than kicking a ball about about , than someone running a country can in a year. And film industry similar they can't just concentrate on making a decent film and story , its all about loads of action, who who in the film, big budget , CGI , Ott crazy characters , dumb everything down a bit and actual concentrate on the film then people might not complain as much, but their not interested only interested as long as it bringing bums on the seats and making shed loads of money ..personally last film that interested me enough to go cinema was raid 2 quality and look of some films don't seem to excite me anymore (but that's just me ) if a film looks crap don't like look of it then ill avoid, I'll give it benefit of the doubt if real film fans give it the thumbs up , irrelevant if films critics like it or not , the film fans opinion matter more to me than a lot of film critics opinion ...after all how many critics have gave films good review only for us to dislike it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th February 2017, 03:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
True, but a tadge of both really eg there is a lot of films out there that do offer something different and fresh, but because they might be made say from a independent film maker they don't have the money like warner etc to advertise the film 6months ahead of its release and you get sick of seeing the advert shoved in your face everywhere ,posters, radio , TV ,internet etc .so the indie film gets a small and limited advertisement etc and disappears and becomes a film only a minority of people have heard of .. Not all films are remakes sequels reboots cash in etc .. But because these type of stuff get drummed into at every turn it feels like it and pushes every other film that's not into the background... There is fresh films out there but you have to dig deep and find them ...years ago films where just films like football was just just football..but everything gone to point where everything is now about the money and greed and how much then can get \ earn .. Bit ridiculous how a footballer can earn more in a month than kicking a ball about about , than someone running a country can in a year. And film industry similar they can't just concentrate on making a decent film and story , its all about loads of action, who who in the film, big budget , CGI , Ott crazy characters , dumb everything down a bit and actual concentrate on the film then people might not complain as much, but their not interested only interested as long as it bringing bums on the seats and making shed loads of money ..personally last film that interested me enough to go cinema was raid 2 quality and look of some films don't seem to excite me anymore (but that's just me ) if a film looks crap don't like look of it then ill avoid, I'll give it benefit of the doubt if real film fans give it the thumbs up , irrelevant if films critics like it or not , the film fans opinion !after more to me than a lot of film critics opinion ...after all how many critics have gave films good review only for us to dislike it.
I think you missed my point. I was talking about Hollywood and blockbusters not indie films.

Obviously indie film makers have to go with other things as they don't have budgets in the hundreds of millions.
Old 26th February 2017, 03:04 PM
Cult Addict

I think some of it is down to cinema's as well some of whom only book big budget blockbuster films.
My local didn't even have Trainspotting 2, twats, i'm sure that would have brought some people in due to the reputation of the original, stars and director.
gag and keirarts like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th February 2017, 03:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think you missed my point. I was talking about Hollywood and blockbusters not indie films.

Obviously indie film makers have to go with other things as they don't have budgets in the hundreds of millions.
Sos
True but I was just making a point about films in general and how the big budget films can afford to push other films in the background and there is good and new fresh films but just have to look for them ..

Like this? Share it using the links below!