Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2017, 03:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think we should change the title of this place to Mainstream Labs.

Does no one discuss cult movies anymore? Frankie reviewed I Drink Your Blood and The Woman and .... nothing.

Someone dislikes a huge box office crunching movie such as Wolf of Wall Street and we have pages of discussion.

Still at least it's discussion.

Next up Bridget Jones Baby.
Have you not some maps to go study?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 07:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default THE SQUEEZE 1977 Michael Apted

When it comes to criminally under rated British movies then they do not come much more under rated than Micheal Apted's The Squeeze,other wise why hasn't it had a decent uk release yet,?? and considering the high cult appeal the likes of The Sweeney and Sidney Lumets The Offence have ,you would think it would have a certain cult appeal,especially if you enjoy everything from The Performance to The Long Good Friday.And if that was not enough the screenplay was by Minder creator Leon Griffiths,directed by Michael Apted and starring a feast of British talent including David Hemmings,Edward Fox and er Freddie Starr,(who it has has to be said does a good job.of basically being a more mellow version of his hyperactive tv persona that was). And of course not forgetting the rather marvellous Stacy Keach as an alcoholic ex -police detective who while he isn't throwing up all over himself he is being humiliated by the local gangsters and made to walk home naked with only a shoe to cover his pride. Keach is on top form in the role Jim Naboth an ex-copper with more than his share of inner demons to contend with,alcohol being the main one,which caused him to be sacked and see the break up of his family.My only gripe with Keach's performance is that his accent does waver into something which sounds a little bit Aussie to me,but apart from that its a very convincing portrayal of a man tottering on the edge of despair at times.Of course no gangster film is complete without its villains,the main one being Irish hood Stephen Boyd as Vic and leader of the kidnapping gang David Hemmings as Keith,while both actors are good,Hemmings is masterful in the role as head gang member and manages to be charismatic and sinister in equal measures.Another highlight is an early appearance of hard man for hire Alan Ford,who must have been in every British gangster film since the 1970's.The plot is a fairly straight forward kidnap story,the twist being that the kidnapped woman Carol White as Jill,is Edward Fox's missus,but was also Keach's (Naboth) ex wife as well.If your like me,one of the fun things about British films from the 1970's is seeing all the locations from the past and comparing them to the present day,and The Squeeze uses some marvellous run down areas of London,especially the scenes where the daughter of Jill has been dumped inside a disused factory to die.A truly gripping thriller .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTl7azQE6Hkq5vy.jpg (74.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 1st March 2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 1st March 2017, 07:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Until reading your review, I hadn't heard of The Squeeze.

Old 1st March 2017, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

that's why it needs a decent uk release.

Old 1st March 2017, 07:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Reapers had it as his signature on each and every posting for a long, long, time.
Old 1st March 2017, 07:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Reapers had it as his signature on each and every posting for a long, long, time.
Yeah was just about to say that Reaps has been plugging the greatness that is The Squeeze on and off for a while on here.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
that's why it needs a decent uk release.
Something I hope will happen shortly.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched Logan this morning and I know it's no "cult" film like I Drink Your Blood but damn this was a superb film. I mean it too, superb is the word I'm going with here.

It's brutally violent and bloody, full of anger and foul language but with a tenderness and heart that just hasn't been present in previous X-Men universe films.

The basic premise, for those that haven't got round to reading up on it yet, is that Logan is in hiding and looking after Professor X, who's not very well. They're both losing their mutant abilities and thing's aren't great for Logan, he's not a happy wolf and he just wants to die. Things get worse when he's found by a young girl who needs his help.... trouble ensues.

It is dark, moody and just entirely different to any other superhero film released so far, it has real maturity and an unsettling mood that's unique, yet refreshing to see.
It is without a doubt Hugh Jackmans finest performance yet, it now tops Prisoners as my favourite of his. Patrick Stewart is incredible too, as always, the relationship between their characters is full of love, loathe and brilliant banter. In fact this film is certainly funnier than I expected (not in a jokey kind of way by throwing in jokes for the sake of trying to get a jarring giggle from the audience, but real life humour.) I hope that makes sense to you all. It's funny because it's real, real conversations with family and friends can at times be funny and that natural humour works so well and actually compliments the dark mood and tone of most of the film.

The cinematography is gorgeous at times and the special effects were brilliant too, used sparingly aswell so they felt natural and definitely not overused.

Did I mention the violence? Oh it was brutal, so much blood and dismemberment, was just too damn good. I was wincing and cheering at the same time.

The action scenes were shot and choreographed really effectively and it wasnt just one second cuts with shakey cam like most modern films, this was much more "John Wick" than your average blockbuster. You see the violence close and with full effect, no unnecessary cutaways here my friends.

To be honest there really wasn't anything negative I can say about this film at the moment, I can't think of anything that annoyed or confused me that would warrant a reduction in its score so I'm going to have to give this a 5 out of 5. I may be too generous but I'm in that mood because I'm still thinking about this film 8 hours later and I'm still smiling about it. Although I have to admit it wasn't all smiles whilst watching, I will admit that I cried once.... or twice.... okay okay okay, three times then. I'm a sensitive guy people, give me a break

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st March 2017, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I watched Logan this morning and I know it's no "cult" film like I Drink Your Blood but damn this was a superb film. I mean it too, superb is the word I'm going with here.

It's brutally violent and bloody, full of anger and foul language but with a tenderness and heart that just hasn't been present in previous X-Men universe films.

The basic premise, for those that haven't got round to reading up on it yet, is that Logan is in hiding and looking after Professor X, who's not very well. They're both losing their mutant abilities and thing's aren't great for Logan, he's not a happy wolf and he just wants to die. Things get worse when he's found by a young girl who needs his help.... trouble ensues.

It is dark, moody and just entirely different to any other superhero film released so far, it has real maturity and an unsettling mood that's unique, yet refreshing to see.
It is without a doubt Hugh Jackmans finest performance yet, it now tops Prisoners as my favourite of his. Patrick Stewart is incredible too, as always, the relationship between their characters is full of love, loathe and brilliant banter. In fact this film is certainly funnier than I expected (not in a jokey kind of way by throwing in jokes for the sake of trying to get a jarring giggle from the audience, but real life humour.) I hope that makes sense to you all. It's funny because it's real, real conversations with family and friends can at times be funny and that natural humour works so well and actually compliments the dark mood and tone of most of the film.

The cinematography is gorgeous at times and the special effects were brilliant too, used sparingly aswell so they felt natural and definitely not overused.

Did I mention the violence? Oh it was brutal, so much blood and dismemberment, was just too damn good. I was wincing and cheering at the same time.

The action scenes were shot and choreographed really effectively and it wasnt just one second cuts with shakey cam like most modern films, this was much more "John Wick" than your average blockbuster. You see the violence close and with full effect, no unnecessary cutaways here my friends.

To be honest there really wasn't anything negative I can say about this film at the moment, I can't think of anything that annoyed or confused me that would warrant a reduction in its score so I'm going to have to give this a 5 out of 5. I may be too generous but I'm in that mood because I'm still thinking about this film 8 hours later and I'm still smiling about it. Although I have to admit it wasn't all smiles whilst watching, I will admit that I cried once.... or twice.... okay okay okay, three times then. I'm a sensitive guy people, give me a break

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Going to see this on Tuesday , can't wait now.
Justin101 and antmumford like this.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:03 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE WOMAN – Lucky McKee and Jack Ketchum get together for this follow-up to 'Offspring'. It's about a misogynistic lawyer who captures a wild-woman and basically tortures her in his cellar, roping in various family members along the way. He has an even nastier little secret hiding in his kennel. 'The Woman' is a fairly weird hybrid of slow burning indie family drama and brutal horror, and I really quite like the way its downbeat, depressing tale of implied incest and familial claustrophobia is offset by the sheer strangeness of scenes where husband, wife and kids crowd around and gawp at this woman chained beneath the house. There's the randomness too of this wild-woman concept if you're not familiar with 'Offspring'. Some aspects grate slightly, like the alt rock soundtrack, but the film totally nails the unremitting shitiness of the man of the house, who is the leering personification of female hatred. For those who are in it for the gore, 'The Woman' gets pretty harsh towards the end with some enjoyably unsentimental butchery. Recommended.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD – These kind of things are subjective, but if you asked a bunch of people to name their ultimate grindhouse flick, I bet a lot of them would come up with IDYB. I certainly feel that way about it. IDYB may not be the the absolute pinnacle of seventies excess, either in terms of sex, violence or sheer far outness, but it's steeped in the kind of feverish lunacy that for me marks out the essential character of amped up low brow horror pulp (or rather, how these kind of movies are supposed to be but so rarely are). It throws together nasty hippies, bits of satanism and the occult that don't really go anywhere, and a Romero-Cronenberg style viral outbreak. The reason for all this dementia? A plucky kid injects evil trip commune's meat pies with rabies after they spike his granddad with acid... no, you couldn't make it up. But that's the root of IDYB's charm, a total disregard for basic narrative sense that could've come from the wrong end of one of Bhasker's doobies. The resulting immersion in lysergic bad taste leaves its the audience reeling and having to deal with a movie which seems to casually toss in a badly thought through anti-drugs message at the same time as it revels in lo-fi gore and sleaze. Hysterical trash of the first order.
I have had the chance to pick up The Woman a few times but for some reason i kept passing it off but after that review ill be picking it up this weekend. Cheers.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!