Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

James Morton 14th September 2012 01:25 PM

THE BLACK WINDMILL - i remember seeing when i was younger with my Dad
a very good Brit thriller
SCUM - haven't seen this powerful Borstal drama in ages - good film

keirarts 14th September 2012 02:14 PM

TIME WALKER.

Vaguely remember watching this on vhs with my dad sometime in the eighties. Forgot almost everything aside from the green flesh-eating mould. A fun and novel take on a mummy movie with a very frustrating ending.

Frankie Teardrop 14th September 2012 05:42 PM

SHIVERS - Back to horror basics with David Cronenberg's first non-experimental feature. I think it must have made a very strong statement at the time of its release, and imo remains a disturbing and vivid piece of cinema to this day. In fact, on seeing it now, I find a far more potent and disconcerting work than did my 16 year old self, who felt short changed on watching it for the first time back in the early nineties. Of course, back then I was expecting a load of sci-fi blood and guts... now I'm sufficiently evolved and well adapted to be enthralled by an orgy of sexual terror! Erm, well on a 'serious' note this takes on the issue of libidinal economy like few B-movies of its time and seems to offer a vision of socio-sexual dystopia a la a kind of inverted Norman O Brown. It's difficult to read its sexual politics - Cronenberg has been lambasted by both left and right, particularly for his early stuff - but the final image, with the swingers cruising into town with all the placid, smug contentment of their previously sexless, caged up alienation, is more grim in its irony than anything else in the movie. And there IS plenty of grim, with some sequences that even now must seem unassimalable from the perspective of mainstream cinema. This is well up there with Cronenberg's best stuff at leat in terms of ideas, impact and imagery, and is the first of his to embody that Brundlefly fusion of B-movie exploitation and dead serious quasi-art film that marked those early works, which still seem so unique in tone and atmosphere.

Handyman Joe 14th September 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 273408)
SHIVERS - Back to horror basics with David Cronenberg's first non-experimental feature. I think it must have made a very strong statement at the time of its release, and imo remains a disturbing and vivid piece of cinema to this day. In fact, on seeing it now, I find a far more potent and disconcerting work than did my 16 year old self, who felt short changed on watching it for the first time back in the early nineties. Of course, back then I was expecting a load of sci-fi blood and guts... now I'm sufficiently evolved and well adapted to be enthralled by an orgy of sexual terror! Erm, well on a 'serious' note this takes on the issue of libidinal economy like few B-movies of its time and seems to offer a vision of socio-sexual dystopia a la a kind of inverted Norman O Brown. It's difficult to read its sexual politics - Cronenberg has been lambasted by both left and right, particularly for his early stuff - but the final image, with the swingers cruising into town with all the placid, smug contentment of their previously sexless, caged up alienation, is more grim in its irony than anything else in the movie. And there IS plenty of grim, with some sequences that even now must seem unassimalable from the perspective of mainstream cinema. This is well up there with Cronenberg's best stuff at leat in terms of ideas, impact and imagery, and is the first of his to embody that Brundlefly fusion of B-movie exploitation and dead serious quasi-art film that marked those early works, which still seem so unique in tone and atmosphere.

Totally agree, last time I watched this film I couldn't believe the scenes of sexually crazed schoolgirls, nice old pensioners and everyone in-between - this stuff is more subversive than 100 Saws or Hostels, in fact early Cronenbergs cooly detached psycho-sexual mania has never been equalled.

Invid Ninja 14th September 2012 06:14 PM

Slightly off topic but, was cautiously looking forward to Taken 2.

Not anymore though. :mmph:

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Frankie Teardrop 14th September 2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 273429)
Totally agree, last time I watched this film I couldn't believe the scenes of sexually crazed schoolgirls, nice old pensioners and everyone in-between - this stuff is more subversive than 100 Saws or Hostels, in fact early Cronenbergs cooly detached psycho-sexual mania has never been equalled.

100% agree - a couple of those scenes made me think 'BBFC? Even now?' - even though very little is made 'explicit'.
David Cronenberg is a true cinematic anomaly. This is recognised, but somehow not fully realised, by the tastemakers who dominate the media. 'Cooly detached psycho-sexual mania' totally sums up the frosty, slo-mo violence of consumer culture's naked self imploding, in 'Shivers'. 'The Brood', 'Videodrome', or any of those amazing early films, in fact even now.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th September 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 273431)
Slightly off topic but, was cautiously looking forward to Taken 2.

Not anymore though. :mmph:

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Well since it was edited by the distributor to get a 12, we can be sure of an extended cut on dvd and BD. Bloody typical!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th September 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 273445)
Well since it was edited by the distributor to get a 12, we can be sure of an extended cut on dvd and BD. Bloody typical!

That's what we thought would happen with The Woman in Black, and look what happened (or, as the case may be, what didn't happen).

Make Them Die Slowly 14th September 2012 10:26 PM

REC 3. The best episode of "Don't Tell the Bride" you will ever see.

666 REVEALED:TRUE STORIES OF REAL EVIL. Highly amusing nonsense about the nature of evil and Satanism shown through reconstructions of serial murders and interviews and clips of the Church of Satan.

THE HOWLING REBORN. A weird mix of visual Spiderman, Harry Potter and Twilight references cloud this uninteresting mix of angsty teen film and werewolf tale that fails pretty much on every level. However there were just enough odd bits to keep my attention and by the end I quite liked it.

ABSENTIA. This started out by irritating the f*ck out of me due to the manner it is filmed in, and the fractured dialogue of the two lead characters. Once I got past this, the film is in fact a compact, minimalist vibe on Japanese horror, early Stephen King with a hint of Lovecraft. Recommended.

Frankie Teardrop 14th September 2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273498)
REC 3. The best episode of "Don't Tell the Bride" you will ever see.

666 REVEALED:TRUE STORIES OF REAL EVIL. Highly amusing nonsense about the nature of evil and Satanism shown through reconstructions of serial murders and interviews and clips of the Church of Satan.

THE HOWLING REBORN. A weird mix of visual Spiderman, Harry Potter and Twilight references cloud this uninteresting mix of angsty teen film and werewolf tale that fails pretty much on every level. However there were just enough odd bits to keep my attention and by the end I quite liked it.

ABSENTIA. This started out by irritating the f*ck out of me due to the manner it is filmed in, and the fractured dialogue of the two lead characters. Once I got past this, the film is in fact a compact, minimalist vibe on Japanese horror, early Stephen King with a hint of Lovecraft. Recommended.

I really liked 'Absentia', a slightly weird film which could've taken a way more obvious approach but thankfully didn't. It was a bit grating and clumsy in places, but at least tried to approach things 'at an angle'.
Have you seen 'Livide' yet? If so, what did you think?

Make Them Die Slowly 14th September 2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 273507)
I really liked 'Absentia', a slightly weird film which could've taken a way more obvious approach but thankfully didn't. It was a bit grating and clumsy in places, but at least tried to approach things 'at an angle'.
Have you seen 'Livide' yet? If so, what did you think?

No, I've not watched it yet. If I get a chance (and access to the telly), I'll try to watch it over the weekend.

Frankie Teardrop 15th September 2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273512)
No, I've not watched it yet. If I get a chance (and access to the telly), I'll try to watch it over the weekend.

It's good, one of the better things I've seen this year. Bit of a boring first 40 mins justified by a pretty mad second half.

gag 15th September 2012 09:26 AM

Just watched house on straw hill / expose

TBH everything I've read over the years about its hype notoriety and was on the nasties list and how hard to get hold on a uncut copy etc I think there wasnt much to the film or in the film at all completely over hyped and lot of worse films out there and yes this was the uncut version I saw,
Wasn't impressed and expected more,

Demoncrat 15th September 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 273547)

TBH everything I've read over the years about its hype notoriety and was on the nasties list and how hard to get hold on a uncut copy etc I think there wasnt much to the film or in the film at all completely over hyped and lot of worse films out there and yes this was the uncut version I saw,

Hmmm. What people tend to forget I find, is that this hallowed list wasn't compiled by genre savvy types, so obviously what they found "corrupting & depraving" won't necessarily "offend" everyone (adults etc). Hence some of the titles will "disappoint" some modern viewers.

Stick to Giallo A Venezia cough cough.;);)

pedromonkey 15th September 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 273573)
Hmmm. What people tend to forget I find, is that this hallowed list wasn't compiled by genre savvy types, so obviously what they found "corrupting & depraving" won't necessarily "offend" everyone (adults etc). Hence some of the titles will "disappoint" some modern viewers.

Stick to Giallo A Venezia cough cough.;);)

90% of the stuff that was on the list is shit.

Daemonia 15th September 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 273580)
90% of the stuff that was on the list is shit.

90%? That's a bit harsh. There's some terrific films on the dreaded list...

Tenebrae
Inferno
Flesh for Frankenstein
Anthropophagous
House by the Cemetery
Zombie Flesh Eaters
The Beyond
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
Absurd
Night Train Murders
A Bay of Blood (Bloodbath)
The Burning
The Bogey Man (The Boogeyman)
Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Apocalypse
Dead and Buried
Don't Go in the House
The Evil Dead
The Funhouse
House on the Edge of the Park
I Spit On Your Grave
Last House on the Left
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
Possession
Shogun Assassin
The Witch Who Came from the Sea

That seems a bit bigger than 10%. Are you really saying that all of the above are shit? There's a fair few Shameless/Arrow titles on that list. So you hate what Shameless and Arrow release?

James Morton 15th September 2012 12:09 PM

THE X FILES - I WANT TO BELIEVE
the first is brilliant and i wasn't thinking of a better film and it wasn't
imo the film makers after about 10 years, Chris Carter et al should of made this more exciting with a better storyline, it dragged at even 95 mins
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
one of Cronenberg's best films, Mortensen's character wanting to forget the past, but can't after his heroic deed in the cafe which sends round a scarred Ed Harris who wants to take him back
there is a scene which Stall (Mortensen) kills one of William Hurt's bodyguards and blood spurts out of his mouth but after all the violence which went before the MPAA cut this out! the UK dvd is uncut
Cronenberg should make more films like this or go back to horror
oh yes and Maria Bello:)

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th September 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273585)
imo the film makers after about 10 years, Chris Carter et al should of made this more exciting with a better storyline, it dragged at even 95 mins
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
one of Cronenberg's best films, Mortensen's character wanting to forget the past, but can't after his heroic deed in the cafe which sends round a scarred Ed Harris who wants to take him back
there is a scene which Stall (Mortensen) kills one of William Hurt's bodyguards and blood spurts out of his mouth but after all the violence which went before the MPAA cut this out! the UK dvd is uncut

I thought I Want To Believe would've worked better as a Millennium movie. Had more of that shows vibe.

Rik 15th September 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 273547)

Just out of interest, where did you get an uncut copy from?

James Morton 15th September 2012 12:27 PM

the producers/director etc of X Files wanted the sequel to be a standalone thriller and concentrate on Mulder/Scully relationship
disappointed and expected to be anyway, at the least the original is a great film

Frankie Teardrop 15th September 2012 12:31 PM

SAVAGE STREETS - Still pretty hard edged eighties teensploitation with requisite synthetic texture and bad metal environment. Not quite as winning as 'Class of 1984'. I enjoyed, though.
FRANKENSTEIN'S CASTLE OF FREAKS - From shitmaster D Randall. Was hoping for slightly more decadent 70s Eurosleaze than is on offer here, but there are decent tendrils of weirdness to tug on, including the moving subplot involving abandoned dwarf and caveman, whose relationship seems tender enough before they both turn into vicious rapists. Nice morbid electro on soundtrack.
FEAST 3 - End of the series, hopefully. Bad enough taste to be diverting.
PIRANHA DD - The sequel to the recent remake. It's basically a retread. Even if you liked the T&A, blood & guts approach of the remake you may still find this all a bit pointless despite its mild entertainment value (and Hoff inclusion). End credits sequence was about 15 mins to make up for 70 min run time, what a rip off.
THE OFFENCE - Came to this via a review on here (thanks, Handyman J). Bleak, stark drama from Lumet set in depressed early 70s England. S Connery is a cop who melts down and kills a suspect in custody, although this is less a political piece about police brutality and more an intense, disturbing bit of psychoportraiture. Glum, downbeat and recommended. Again, nice morbid electronics on soundtrack.

James Morton 15th September 2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 273589)
Just out of interest, where did you get an uncut copy from?

well i have the dvd-r of EXPOSE i bought last year / he must have that version
vhs quality, not good but at least it uncut
don't know of any uncut dvd release

Rik 15th September 2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273596)
well i have the dvd-r of EXPOSE i bought last year
vhs quality, not good but at least it uncut
don't know of any uncut dvd release

That's what I thought, only release I know of is the one you mentioned

VicDakin 15th September 2012 12:52 PM

Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell

3 Attachment(s)
Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell
they don't go much scuzzier than this,a true 80's homemade trailer comp,no re mastering,and everybody has a purple hue about them like old worn video tape :)

Attachment 79709

Attachment 79710Attachment 79711

VicDakin 15th September 2012 01:43 PM

Stephen Romano Presents Shock Festival (2009)

1 Attachment(s)
Stephen Romano Presents Shock Festival (2009)
Ive now moved onto Stephen Romano's trailer comp,im suspose to be decorating but im sat on my ass drinking coffee and watching trailers,such is life :pound:

Attachment 79713

Baseball Fury 15th September 2012 04:43 PM

Waiting for my train to go see They Live, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance at the Prince Charles. gonna be a long night!

gag 15th September 2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273585)
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

I enjoyed history of violence but felt it was rushed a little and ending was a tadge let down and ended to quick could have been bit longer, but good and enjoyable all the same ,

And house on straw hill was a dvdr but my friends but really couldn't understand why owt was cut didn't think there was much in it to begin with,

gag 15th September 2012 05:52 PM

Video Nasties

According to melon farmers French and Australian releases are uncut,

Susan Foreman 15th September 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 273662)
Waiting for my train to go see They Live, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance at the Prince Charles. gonna be a long night!

Better than 'Strictly come dancing on with with a talanted x-factor big brother in the jungle', or whatever is on telly tonight!

Slippery Jack 15th September 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 273692)
Better than 'Strictly come dancing on with with a talanted x-factor big brother in the jungle', or whatever is on telly tonight!

The Thick of It is on - better than all of those films :tongue1: . . .

Slippery Jack 15th September 2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 273662)

Is it me, or is there an odd one out in those four films :confused:

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for cool stuff like this now I'm down in London for a couple of months . . .

SShaw 15th September 2012 10:17 PM

This weeks English language film at the the local cinema was The Bourne Legacy. Wasn't too sure going in as the comments I have seen were mixed, but I thought it was very entertaining and a worthy addition to the previous trilogy.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th September 2012 10:18 PM

THE INNKEEPERS. Like Ti West's early "The House of the Devil", f*ck all happens in this film until the final 20 minutes, which is great as West seems to be a master at making not a lot, highly entertaining and engrossing. The film meanders along at it's own pace delivering small plot details here and there, in what is more a character study of a slightly goofy, nerdy girl played to perfection by Sara Paxton. Highly recommended.

gag 15th September 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 273673)
Video Nasties

According to melon farmers French and Australian releases are uncut,

Oops I didn't state what film :lol:
House on straw hill,

Nordicdusk 15th September 2012 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 79930

I love this film just so funny not everyones cup of tea im sure. Based on the true story of Ryan Dunn and his cheating girlfriend. This film has everything tits, great music ,skateboarding , someone taking a dump in someones petrol tank and sellotaping bits of s**t to a garage door as a form of revenge, a reverse microwave that makes hot things cold real fast and a diamond mountain bike :pound:

A film that always puts me in a good mood and i have very special ties with this film as it was a great friend of mine that introduced it to me who is sadly not with us anymore.

gag 15th September 2012 10:42 PM

The glass house a 1970s prison film highly enjoyed this very good and reccomended
I'm a fan off these type of prison films can anyone reccomended me some good prison films like this to hunt out ?

Sam 15th September 2012 10:52 PM

Splice - really very silly indeed but entertaining enough and it rattles a long at a fair old pace. Worth picking up cheap

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273716)
THE INNKEEPERS. Like Ti West's early "The House of the Devil", f*ck all happens in this film until the final 20 minutes, which is great as West seems to be a master at making not a lot, highly entertaining and engrossing. The film meanders along at it's own pace delivering small plot details here and there, in what is more a character study of a slightly goofy, nerdy girl played to perfection by Sara Paxton. Highly recommended.

Just the review i needed. I will order this later today.

Nice one Mr. Slowly. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One Eyed Monster (2008)

A porn film crew travel up to the hills to produce their latest epic, unfortunately lead man Ron Jeremy is attacked by an alien life form and his detached cock goes on a murderous rampage.

Whilst the premise is as daft as it sounds the film never reaches the excesses of Frank Henenlotter's Bad Biology, which to me is the king of all rampaging penis movies. It is in fact rather restrained in the gore quotient and the member itself is rarely onscreen.

Where One Eyed Monster really excels is in the script and acting department surprisingly. Real life porn veterans Ron Jeremy and Veronica Hart come across as likable real people and their interaction is both heartwarming and funny. The script itself is hilarious, line after line of laugh out loud dialogue that could easily have come from the pen of Kevin Smith.

This film really surprised me and was certainly a quid well invested at the local Poundland.

Daemonia 16th September 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273716)

I thought it was boring rubbish and the two young leads really grated on my nerves. I thought the girl was awful and not a very good actress at all. Still, each to their own and all that, but my advice would be to steer well clear of it. :lol: