Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Lethal Weapon

I'm too old for this shit blows up!
Ha,ha. A great film!

Is it the sequel where shit literally does blow up?
Old 12th March 2017, 03:40 PM
Cult Addict

Dirty Grandpa.

Crikey DeNiro must have some bills. Crass shite of the lowest possible order. Think I barely made it to the halfway mark.
Old 12th March 2017, 05:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Last Stop (2014)

Ten people arrive at a secluded mountain resort to find it completely deserted. With no gas for the return trip, the visitors are forced to stay and investigate the mystery surrounding the abandoned lodge. It soon becomes apparent that all is not well when one by one they begin to mysteriously vanish and naturally tempers flare.

Not a bad little horror mystery thriller with competent acting from a cast including Mena Suvari. However the ultimate feeling is one of frustration as the reason for the disappearances is never resolved. It does make you want to keep watching though.

Doctor Who fans will notice several plot points in this film are extremely similar to stories featuring the Weeping Angels, including the phrase 'Don't blink' scrawled around the resort.

Overall Last Stop was an interesting one watch film that i kind of recommend.
Old 12th March 2017, 05:58 PM
Cult Addict

Kong:Skull island.

Shit assuredly blows up.

Whatever faults this film has, and Kong probably has some faults, anything can be fixed with giant apes. I could care less about the snotty guardian reviews on this, they can sod off back to french films about 50 year old men screwing girls young enough to be their granddaughters. Kong is the sort of film that might get some of the snobbier critics up in arms but I loved it. Essentially its a mash up between Nam flicks like apocalypse now & the deer hunter and monster mash ups, with kong beating the tar out of various monsters and generally being a lovable old brute. Throw in a bit of Moby Dick with Sam Jackson going Ahab on Kongs ass and your good to go.
Sure its silly, sure the script is occasionally clunky but I didn't care. ITS FUN. So much FUN. There's a bit at the end credits and a moment that riffs on Cannibal Holocaust that's surprising for a pg-13 level film but then it throws a fair bit of grusome imagery at the screen. I can only imagine that suitcases stuffed with bills were involved in getting it passed. I must stress this is a real treat theatrically and well worth admission. It helps a lot that its still £4.99 at my vue.

Hopefully will retain its place as one of my films of the year.
Old 12th March 2017, 06:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Last Stop (2014)

Ten people arrive at a secluded mountain resort to find it completely deserted. With no gas for the return trip, the visitors are forced to stay and investigate the mystery surrounding the abandoned lodge. It soon becomes apparent that all is not well when one by one they begin to mysteriously vanish and naturally tempers flare.

Not a bad little horror mystery thriller with competent acting from a cast including Mena Suvari. However the ultimate feeling is one of frustration as the reason for the disappearances is never resolved. It does make you want to keep watching though.

Doctor Who fans will notice several plot points in this film are extremely similar to stories featuring the Weeping Angels, including the phrase 'Don't blink' scrawled around the resort.

Overall Last Stop was an interesting one watch film that i kind of recommend.
Mena Suvari you say?
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th March 2017, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Kong:Skull island.

Shit assuredly blows up.

Whatever faults this film has, and Kong probably has some faults, anything can be fixed with giant apes. I could care less about the snotty guardian reviews on this, they can sod off back to french films about 50 year old men screwing girls young enough to be their granddaughters. Kong is the sort of film that might get some of the snobbier critics up in arms but I loved it. Essentially its a mash up between Nam flicks like apocalypse now & the deer hunter and monster mash ups, with kong beating the tar out of various monsters and generally being a lovable old brute. Throw in a bit of Moby Dick with Sam Jackson going Ahab on Kongs ass and your good to go.
Sure its silly, sure the script is occasionally clunky but I didn't care. ITS FUN. So much FUN. There's a bit at the end credits and a moment that riffs on Cannibal Holocaust that's surprising for a pg-13 level film but then it throws a fair bit of grusome imagery at the screen. I can only imagine that suitcases stuffed with bills were involved in getting it passed. I must stress this is a real treat theatrically and well worth admission. It helps a lot that its still £4.99 at my vue.

Hopefully will retain its place as one of my films of the year.
ive came to the conclusion any film that the guardian doesn't like i more than likely will. most of the reviewers seem to be stuck up there own arses and wont entertain a film unless its some arty farty crap that they pull themselves off to
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
ive came to the conclusion any film that the guardian doesn't like i more than likely will. most of the reviewers seem to be stuck up there own arses and wont entertain a film unless its some arty farty crap that they pull themselves off to
I know that, strictly speaking, Mark Kermode writes for the Observer rather than its Monday-Saturday stablemate, but he was very complimentary about Kong: Skull Island on the BBC on Friday, both on TV and radio.

BBC News Channel - The Film Review, Kong: Skull Island, The Love Witch, Elle

keirarts, trebor8273 and Deadite like this.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Mena Suvari you say?
I did, however and this is a spoiler, she's only in the first half hour unfortunately.
Old 12th March 2017, 08:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Burlesque (2010)

A small-town girl ventures to Los Angeles and finds her place in a neo-burlesque club on the verge of bankruptcy run by a former dancer.

Starring Christina Aguilera, Cher and Stanly Tucci, Burlesque was a slightly disappointing, risk free and certainly risque free stab at a modern pop musical. Whilst certainly watchable it takes it's cues from far superior fayre such as Coyote Ugly (2000) and Cabaret (1972), It's as cliched as they come and by the conclusion i'd decided it was just an attempt to get Christina Aguilera's career back on track, but to be fair she gives it her all and certainly bestows the film a lot of energy and drive. Although the film looks good and has some fine musical set pieces it's 'been here before' storyline lets it down somewhat.

Anyone who thought Rock of Ages (2012) was poor, steer clear of this.

Should i even be owning up to watching this? I'm sure you guys will tell me in no uncertain terms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burlesque_poster.jpg (25.7 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!