Old 12th March 2017, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Confession time.

I went to see Ms. Aguilera touring her Stripped album back in 2002. Lady Marmalade and the punchier songs such as Fighter were the stand out numbers.
I don't think that is anything of which to be ashamed – Fighter is an excellent song and I imagine she would (a little like Madonna) have a really expensive set to make it a memorable audiovisual experience.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Better off Dead. John Cusack is a high school teenager so obsessively in love with his girlfriend that he flirts with the idea of suicide after she just casually dumps him for a local ski champion. Between coping with his mom's cooking, the sweet French foreign exchange student living with his creepy neighbours, and a malevolent and relentless paperboy, he ultimately decides to challenge his rival to a suicidal-in-itself ski competition down a notoriously "untameable" nearby mountain... This mid 80s comedy is irreverent, off the wall and frequently hilarious. Great fun from start to finish, this was once a frequent rewatch but I hadn't seen it for about 11 years for some reason, but it's still as great as ever. The DVD did a couple of weird things a couple of times, though, so I think a Blu ray upgrade is both warranted and deserved. I think my fave side character is Vincent Schiavelli's impossibly charismatic maths teacher, who genuinely has his entire class rivetted to his every (incomprehensible) uttering. Genius!
Hollywood hasn't made anything as funny as this in donkeys years.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Better off Dead. John Cusack is a high school teenager so obsessively in love with his girlfriend that he flirts with the idea of suicide after she just casually dumps him for a local ski champion. Between coping with his mom's cooking, the sweet French foreign exchange student living with his creepy neighbours, and a malevolent and relentless paperboy, he ultimately decides to challenge his rival to a suicidal-in-itself ski competition down a notoriously "untameable" nearby mountain... This mid 80s comedy is irreverent, off the wall and frequently hilarious. Great fun from start to finish, this was once a frequent rewatch but I hadn't seen it for about 11 years for some reason, but it's still as great as ever. The DVD did a couple of weird things a couple of times, though, so I think a Blu ray upgrade is both warranted and deserved. I think my fave side character is Vincent Schiavelli's impossibly charismatic maths teacher, who genuinely has his entire class rivetted to his every (incomprehensible) uttering. Genius!
Hollywood hasn't made anything as funny as this in donkeys years.
I have a real soft spot for this film.
iank likes this.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Better off Dead
I don't know why, but I've never seen this. I think John Cusack is a great actor and, even though Siskel and Ebert gave it 'two thumbs down' and Cusack apparently hates it, I will probably buy the DVD soon.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know why, but I've never seen this. I think John Cusack is a great actor and, even though Siskel and Ebert gave it 'two thumbs down' and Cusack apparently hates it, I will probably buy the DVD soon.
I've never heard of it to be honest.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Absolute cult gem.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:57 PM
Cult Addict

Lethal Weapon 2

Dolphin friendly, Apartheid hating shit blows up!
Old 13th March 2017, 03:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Lethal Weapon 2

Dolphin friendly, Apartheid hating shit blows up!
Not a film for caravan clubbers!
Old 13th March 2017, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not a film for caravan clubbers!
I bloody hate caravans.
Old 13th March 2017, 11:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lizzie Borden Took an Ax (2014)

The true story of Lizzie Borden, a young woman tried and acquitted in the 1892 murders of her father and stepmother.

Lizzie Borden. A name i'd heard of, perhaps because of the 80's American metal band of the same name, but not someone i knew of or what she'd done to make her a 'name'.

Rather than taking thousands of selfies and posting them on social media as would happen now, Lizzie became infamous because she, as the title suggests, took an axe and brutally murdered her father and stepmother. History lesson over. This tv movie looks at the murders and the ensuing court case in which she managed to clear her name due to lack of concrete proof, even though it was clear to the jury she was the only one who could have committed the murders they couldn't provide the proof needed.

The film is quite enjoyable, not too taxing and an easy watch. Christina Ricci who has 'oddball' down to perfection, strolls the part of Lizzie and is always a joy to watch and the rest of the cast including Gregg Henry as the prosecuting lawyer and Stephen McHattie as Lizzie's father, who comes to a gruesome end, provide decent support.

I was surprised at how gory the whole thing was. The camera seems to practically ogle McHattie's axe mulched face on more than one occasion lending the film a whiff of the exploitative.

What really lets the side down is the soundtrack. It's ****ing excruciating if you'll pardon my French. Tiresome rock music when it should be period pieces or even none at all. It really does grate the ears and almost ruins the whole thing.

On the whole Lizzie Borden took an Ax is a decent tv movie and worth picking up at Poundland as i did last October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lizzie-borden-took-an-axe.jpg (83.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!