All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2017, 11:17 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which reminds me. I must watch Seed again.
That is a great film surely by anyone's standard.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I liked Statham in that Uwe Boll LOTR style thing In the Name of the King. Statham looks uncomfortable throughout!
What a cast as well. Liotta is a laugh riot etc.
Boll's comms are a SCREAM btw.
The sequel with Dolph is not as bonkers sadly.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th March 2017, 11:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Which reminds me. I must watch Seed again.
Seeeeeeed!!!!

Ahem. Great double bill with Space Fury.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th March 2017, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
What a cast as well. Liotta is a laugh riot etc.
Boll's comms are a SCREAM btw.
The sequel with Dolph is not as bonkers sadly.
I will look out for it, I have a bit of a Dolph fetish at the moment since Red Scorpion is on every bleeding time I turn on the TV at night!
Old 19th March 2017, 01:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I will look out for it, I have a bit of a Dolph fetish at the moment since Red Scorpion is on every bleeding time I turn on the TV at night!
I have a scorpion fetish and that's more worrying than a Dolph fetish in anyones book.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th March 2017, 10:00 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Mechanic Resurrection (2016)

Basically a sequel in name only to The Mechanic, ( itself a remake of a Charles Bronson film) Jason Statham keeps the name Arthur Bishop, and the hitman guise but this is more an audition of the Stathe to be James Bond than anything else.

Not just any Bond film, no, pretty much all of them from The Spy Who Loved Me onwards can be felt in this film. In it's country hopping madness more or less every single scene of Mechanic Resurrection has been in a Bond film, and the one that wasn't - the Sydney skyscraper set piece, was nicked straight out of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. So yes it's derivative but it's still damn good fun.

Perhaps it's a need to appeal to a wider audience i don't know, but this film although action packed, lacked the brutal violence of the first film (I was stunned The Mechanic was issued with a BBFC 15 cert such was it's brutality) but Mechanic Resurrection is still a wild thrill ride...and no, you don't need to ask, It's a Jason Statham action thriller, what do you think?
The fuffin Mechanic!!! I was rooting round in my collection last night looking for a simple undemanding actioner to watch. Completely forgot I still had the first Statham Mechanic to watch.
Old 19th March 2017, 11:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Portrait of a Hit Man"

This low budget action movie stars Jack Palace as Jim Buck (whose name seems to be the one word - "jimbuck" - when pronounced all the way through the film) as an artist/contract killer. He is contracted to kill his best friend who is a renowned brain surgeon with no known enemies. There is a time limit on the contract and Jim has to take his own life in his hands to find out who wants his friend dead and how can he save him!

All in all it was a decent wee low budget action movie, that even manages to get a couple of high speed driving scenes in, under the guise of it being Jim's and his pal's ... hobby...?

My DVD is a cheap release which doesn't even name the distributor on the box (a bit of googling suggests it might be Hollywood DVD Ltd), but it displays the Vipco logo at the beginning of the film, which'll give you an idea as to the picture quality ! Almost Jet Black throughout !

Glad I only paid a quid.

IMG_2888.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th March 2017, 12:06 PM
Cult Veteran

I happily enjoyed The Love Witch last night with my flat mate. Essentially a contemporary film filmed as if it were the late 60s or early 70s, think Russ Meyer meets Jess Franco (although the director Anna Biller denies any such reference) meets Bewitched!

I seriously loved watching this film in all of it's glorious technicolour and gratuitous nudity. I can see this being very divisive due to the way it's directed. It's very 'stagey' the way the lines are delivered, not at all natural. I think it adds to the dreamlike nature though. It reminded me of early John Waters if only he had professional actors in his films

I imagine that most of you on here have already seen this, but if you haven't get a copy and get it watched - so much fun!

edit:: Oh yeah, I want that rug as well...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th March 2017, 12:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Absurd

I just finished watching the 88 Films restoration of Absurd.
I can't help but think Joe Wilkinson would make a perfect lead for a remake.

joe_wilkinson_450.jpg
Old 19th March 2017, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Final Girls (2015)

A group of teens go to watch the classic 80's slasher film Camp Bloodbath and inadvertently find themselves part of the movie.

Imagine The Last Action Hero (1993) but done as as a PG slasher film. A film with some fun moments but one that's allows it's ironic cleverness to get in the way. It's so consumed in it's own movie game references that it forgets it's prime objective and that is to be a horror film in it's own right.

The film does a lot right. There are good performances, especially from Taissa Farmiga, Malin Ackerman and Nina Dobrev and it certainly has a lot of clever and knowing in jokes that will be appreciated by genre fans. However it all becomes a bit wearing when you realise that's as far as we get - in jokes.

All the campy fun elements that would be in Camp Bloodbath, a definite Friday the 13th Part whatever rip off, are nowhere to be seen here - no violence, gore, nudity, swearing, and a complete lack of atmosphere, threat or suspense.

Go with Scream (1996) if you want to see a 'post modern horror with attitude' film or the under seen Midnight Movie (2008) (where the killer comes out of the screen and slashes up the punters,) if you want gore and exploitation in this type of thing. Both are far superior to The Final Girls.

Like this? Share it using the links below!