Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2017, 12:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Great choice, J. A fantastic film.
Thanks Dem. I really liked it, good old fashion exploitation.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thanks Dem. I really liked it, good old fashion exploitation.
It sure is. I don't think John Gulager has discovered political correctness yet.

Thank God!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It sure is. I don't think John Gulager has discovered political correctness yet.

Thank God!
I didn't know who he was til I just checked IMDB. He made Feast, another great flick, yet to see the sequels though.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:34 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I didn't know who he was til I just checked IMDB. He made Feast, another great flick, yet to see the sequels though.
A lot hate the sequels but i love the first one Sloppy Seconds. It's crass and vulgar. Part 3 All You Can Eat isn't as good though. The second half lets it down.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

Train to Busan. A workaholic, distant father is taking his little girl on a bullet train to see her mother (his ex-wife) when a zombie outbreak kicks off (hate it when that happens :P ) and they soon find themselves on an express train ride to Hell. Exciting and scary South Korean action-horror, though it perhaps goes on a bit too long.
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Before I Wake. A young couple still grieving the death of their young son foster another child, a child who turns out to have strange powers. When he sleeps, his dreams become reality. Dreams that start out with butterflies and manifestations of their lost child, and then start to become far more sinister... This 2016 horror flick from director Mike Flanagan is entertaining enough, well made and acted with some effective imagery and a clever resolution, but it lacks any real menace and is definitely my least favourite from him thus far.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

KILLER WORKOUT – Or 'Aerobicide', if you prefer. Either way, it's a cheesy late slasher movie set in one of my least favourite places on Earth, a gym. In between the countless work-outs, someone's going around slaying the clientele with what looks like an oversized safety pin. The significance of the latter is never explained, and, although there are plenty of laughs available in a film this shoddy, the silliness of the whole pin thing is played straight, pretty much like everything else here. 'Killer Workout' has that lower tier B-movie late eighties feel about it. This makes for a very plastic, synthetic atmosphere, perhaps one more akin to that of a failed TV soap only ever witnessed at three in the morning on some obscure cable channel. The constant return to work-out scenes, presumably done to max out the mild titillation factor rather than focus on stuff like plot, character or horror for that matter, has the weird effect of almost propelling 'Killer Workout' towards unknown territory, a new genre of film where narrative happens in gaps between long but irrelevant scenes of people doing repetitive, pointless tasks, sort of an anti-musical. I'm sure the makers weren't really interested in courting the avant-garde, but if they'd really pushed it I'd have been doing one of my characteristic gushes over random weirdness. Well, I'm not going to do that really, although there are a few bizarro moments that I can endorse, such as the bit where one of the characters bares her burned and disfigured breasts in a fit of pique. As lycra clad eighties fantasies go, you're better of sticking with 'Death Spa' if you want to see something higher up on the dementia scale. As it stands, 'Killer Workout', with its hammy performances, flat but unreal aesthetics, and gross stupidity, is still pretty entertaining and is recommended for slasher completists and anyone who's ever bemoaned the lack of safety pin action in their celebrity fitness wank-out videos.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Deathgasm (2015)

Demons and metal music should make perfect partners, however some of this was just cringe inducing. I know Nordy raved about this film but i thought it fairly mundane with a bit of decent gore but instantly forgettable.

Just watched this myself and yeah, it was pretty poor
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:53 PM
Cult Addict

Sewers of Gold

Ian McShane and Warren Clark play French fascists robbing a bank...
Apparently based on a true story from the 70s, this is an interesting film mainly because it favours the fascists and portrays them in a good light with little to no explanation of their beliefs or challenges to them by those who do not hold the same beliefs.

Blood FATHER

Mel Gibson is an aging ex-con, outlaw biker protecting his daughter from bad guys...

Mel total dominates this film with his beard and physique alone, he really does look like someone who could hurt you badly and enjoy it. It is short on plot and telegraphs any emotional impact in case the viewer might miss it. That said, it is enjoyable and a lot of fun even if very little shit blows up.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:54 AM
Cult Addict

Don't kill it

Dolph Lundgren plays a demon hunter who is tracking a body hopping demon that's out on a killing spree. Each time someone kills its host it jumps to that person. Dolph can't just kill it because of this so needs to lure it into a dying host in order to stop it. Don't kill is incredibly entertaining trash from beginning to end. The gore is used liberally with head explosions, chainsaw mutilations, axes to face ect. Occasionally the blood looks a little CGI but its no deal breaker. Overall this is one that's worth a go. Its 80 minutes so doesn't wear out its welcome. Its also a safe bet its going to end up in poundland sooner or later.

The Devil's Candy

A struggling painter and his family move into a new home only to find themselves beset by satanic possession and the homes previous resident whose out on a child murder spree. It mixes in a great metal soundtrack and also plays on the idea of the erroneous link between metal and satanism.
Its a nice, slow burning horror which is quite nasty in places without being graphic. Worth watching.

Giallo in venice

Falling somewhere beneath Malabimba and New York Ripper in terms of raw sleaze, the occasionally confused plot involves the investigation of a double murder and flashes back to the sex fuelled lifestyle of the victims. The 99 minute fan edit I watched involves occasional hardcore inserts, sweaty protracted euro sex, graphic mutilation, immolation and rape. Its all grotty stuff but I ended up enjoying myself. Perhaps I need therapy but the film is still eminently watchable though it has more than a few unintentional chuckles. The hardcore inserts and the Infamous 'pussy stabbing' scene, (which more than one-ups new york rippers bottle scene) means an uncut release in the uk is improbable at best, though Code red claims to be releasing it on Blu-ray at some point in the near future.

Like this? Share it using the links below!