Like Tree179587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2017, 04:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I suppose that is to be expected with a non-linear biography where the timeframe is only known to those who are very familiar with the subject material. I knew almost nothing about J.M.W. Turner so the period wasn't particularly significant – it only became really apparent as to when it was set when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were in one scene – and I treated it more as a character study than anything else. In that sense, sometimes even the painting took secondary significance to Turner's relationships with his father, wife, landlady/mistress, and other artists.
True. I did laugh when he and Constable begrudgingly acknowledged each other in the gallery.

I recalled from David Dimbleby's excellent A Picture of Britain series that the two didn't like each other one bit.
Old 26th March 2017, 04:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
True. I did laugh when he and Constable begrudgingly acknowledged each other in the gallery.

I recalled from David Dimbleby's excellent A Picture of Britain series that the two didn't like each other one bit.
I didn't watch that show and, as I said, I knew practically nothing about Turner and painting in that era, so it was very educational, accurately or otherwise. Even though I didn't know the background to that scene, I think I saw it as one painter recognising another man's genius.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th March 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Editor (2016)

Rey Ciso was once Italy's best film editor. However an accident left him with four wooden fingers and he resorted to editing pulp Italian movies like giallo and Poliziotteschi. When the stars of the films Rey works on start turning up dead with their fingers missing Rey is soon the main suspect and sets out to prove his innocence. However the bodies continue to pile up.

The Editor is quite unlike anything i've seen before. It's clearly a send up of the whole Giallo genre and includes numerous moments where i thought to myself "Where have i seen that before?" as it references the films we know and love, from Argento, Fulci and Martino to later offerings such as Eyes of Crystal (2004).

During the opening third i do admit to being confused by it all. Was it a comedy? Was it a straight up Giallo thriller? or was it a needless piss take? But as events unfolded and i got to know the characters it became clear that The Editor was indeed a spoof but a lovingly produced one at that by people who love Italian pulp movies for people who love them. Not a spoof as in Scary Movie and it's countless sequels.

There are quite a few laughs to be had, not in a slapstick way but as genre in-jokes. The line where Ciso asks the police inspector why he's always wearing the same clothes, still tickles me almost a day later in fact. However the film isn't all fun or parody. There are copious amounts of nudity (both female and male) and some genuinely gut wrenching murders that would have graced the genre's finest movies.

Due to the fact that it is a spoof i don't think everyone will like it. However i saw it as charming tribute to one of my favourite film genres and warmed to it far more than other recent attempts to resurrect the Giallo such as Amer (2009), a film that truly was style over substance.

The Editor is highly recommended tribute to Giallo cinema.

Check out the reverse cover artwork below - lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4514 (Large).jpg (91.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 26th March 2017, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Editor (2016)
It sounds like a cross between Berbarian Sound Studio and Scream – a fair analogy?

Also, what release is the DVD? Is it this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Editor-DVD-...dp/B01FO6AH0C/
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th March 2017, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It sounds like a cross between Berbarian Sound Studio and Scream – a fair analogy?

Also, what release is the DVD? Is it this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Editor-DVD-...dp/B01FO6AH0C/
Yes that's the one. The actual cover is average in comparison to the reverse isn't it?

I bought it as part of HMV's 2 dvd's for £10 offer.

Interestingly the end credits thanks Graham Humphreys who designed all the fictional movie posters that adorn the walls in the offices in the movie.
Old 26th March 2017, 06:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Don't know if you recall Nos, but it was you who brought The Editor to my attention in the first place.

Prince Vajda asked if anyone could name the film as he thought a still looked really cool, and you provided the answer in the Post Your Favourite Film Stills thread.
Old 26th March 2017, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Editor shares a sense of humour with its stablemate Father's Day, gleefully over the top and full of blood and nudity. I don't think it has much in common with BSS (barring the Giallo angle) or Scream, in fact it's closer to a Troma style Scary Movie than Scream.

Adam Brooks clearly has a genuine love for cult/horror and a wicked sense of humour. I loved every barmy minute, just as I loved Father's Day.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
Old 26th March 2017, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The Editor shares a sense of humour with its stablemate Father's Day, gleefully over the top and full of blood and nudity. I don't think it has much in common with BSS (barring the Giallo angle) or Scream, in fact it's closer to a Troma style Scary Movie than Scream.

Adam Brooks clearly has a genuine love for cult/horror and a wicked sense of humour. I loved every barmy minute, just as I loved Father's Day.
I actually thought some of the shots in the editing suite were a homage to Berberian Sound Studio. I know editing isn't the same as sound effects but yeah i thought of BBS whilst watching at times.

I clearly need to dig Fathers Day out of my to watch pile. B_e recommended it ages ago.
Old 26th March 2017, 06:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Don't know if you recall Nos, but it was you who brought The Editor to my attention in the first place.

Prince Vajda asked if anyone could name the film as he thought a still looked really cool, and you provided the answer in the Post Your Favourite Film Stills thread.
Very true, but I haven't yet bought a copy. I've been looking through the 2 for £10 at HMV to check what's in the offer and what I want to buy with it to give me the discount.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th March 2017, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Very true, but I haven't yet bought a copy. I've been looking through the 2 for £10 at HMV to check what's in the offer and what I want to buy with it to give me the discount.
Plenty of good stuff in there.

In the latest Empire Kim Newman recommends the Dougray Scott zombie thriller The Rezort.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!