Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 18th September 2012 04:13 PM

Lawless....hey, a shitty la beef film i enjoyed!!;) oldman a bit underused but well worth the wait.

A Night In The Woods. tisn't TBWP you know, and if I say it's more akin to a Bergman film, thatll give people the wrong impression, but it's definitely more "grittish" in tone imo.....

gag 18th September 2012 04:15 PM

I tape alsort of rubbish of horror channel if never heard of the film,
But end up deleting half before the adverts because some of the films are really bad and not even watchable or very badly made or acted,

keirarts 18th September 2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 274115)
I saw this at the cinema on my holiday in Florida earlier this year. My fiance and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. Then again we are easily pleased when it comes to childrens book adaptations, we both love the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson films too. Kelly collects Hardback childrens books and I collect blu's so we both need to get this ourselves actually. I need to get the HMV Steelbook :pop2:

The blockbusters limited edition has a £5 gift card in it, the sainsbur's one has an extra disc. Worth shopping around with hunger games.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2012 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Short Film About Love (1988)

Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski's masterpiece is based on a piece from his celebrated Dekalog cycle of shorts.

It follows a young man who falls in love with an older woman he spys on in the same Warsaw apartment block. Seeing a succession of lovers she brings back with her. When she becomes aware of him she confronts him with a sexual invitation.

The film explores the themes of love and voyeurism that despite the cold Polish settings displays a warmth and erotic air that other films strive for. The film is romantic but its a different sort of romance, the viewer is desperate for the young man to meet the woman and then fall in love. When the almost inevitable happens the film takes a sinister turn as the lad can't cope with the womans promiscuity and the likelihood that to her it is just sex rather than fulfilling a yearning.

For the most part A Short Film About Love is a study of desperate love that inevitably leads to heartbreak. Its a brilliant piece of film making, both poignant and tender, and beautifully acted.

A film i regularly go back to.

platostotal 18th September 2012 06:30 PM

I've just watched Argento's OPERA, as I watched(in Italian) I began to notice the actors seemed to be speaking English, so I reset the audio to English and... yep, the film seems to have been shot with an English script. I looked online but nothing found, I know that post dubbed films have the actors speak lines as they like as a guide, but even Daria seems to be speaking lines in English, am I mad or are they speaking English?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 274202)
I've just watched Argento's OPERA,… am I mad or are they speaking English?

I've seen it with both language tracks and the English one always seems more 'natural', fitting the actors' mouth movements more accurately.

platostotal 18th September 2012 06:38 PM

Glad it's not just me then.

sawyer6 18th September 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 274198)

Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski's masterpiece is based on a piece from his celebrated Dekalog cycle of shorts.

It follows a young man who falls in love with an older woman he spys on in the same Warsaw apartment block. Seeing a succession of lovers she brings back with her. When she becomes aware of him she confronts him with a sexual invitation.

The film explores the themes of love and voyeurism that despite the cold Polish settings displays a warmth and erotic air that other films strive for. The film is romantic but its a different sort of romance, the viewer is desperate for the young man to meet the woman and then fall in love. When the almost inevitable happens the film takes a sinister turn as the lad can't cope with the womans promiscuity and the likelihood that to her it is just sex rather than fulfilling a yearning.

For the most part A Short Film About Love is a study of desperate love that inevitably leads to heartbreak. Its a brilliant piece of film making, both poignant and tender, and beautifully acted.

My cup of tea,unfortunately I haven't seen it yet:(

demonknight 18th September 2012 07:08 PM

The best thing about street trash,IMO,is the brilliant 2 disc dvd cover released by synapse a few yrs back. Love that cover,hate the movie.

James Morton 18th September 2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 274135)
I don't get why anybody watches anything on the Horror Channel. It's like you've rubbed Vaseline over your telly beforehand.

Maybe it's because my TV is quite big, I dunno, but it looks so bad.

there are alot of films on the horror channel which ive (and others) have never heard of before
saw THE DARKOOM before and last night i recorded the fine film
there are some crap films shown of course, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, BEAST MUST DIE, PSYCHOSIS, 13HRS etc but they do show some good horrors, OPERA, TENEBRE, SWITCHBLADE ROMANDE, MARTYRS etc
French horror BABY BLOOD is on friday

Make Them Die Slowly 18th September 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 274234)
there are alot of films on the horror channel which ive (and others) have never heard of before
there are some crap films shown of course, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, BEAST MUST DIE, PSYCHOSIS, 13HRS etc but they do show some good horrors, OPERA, TENEBRE, SWITCHBLADE ROMANDE, MARTYRS etc

BABY BLOOD is a good film if shown in French, the English dub is horrible.

Slippery Jack 18th September 2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 274221)
The best thing about street trash,IMO,is the brilliant 2 disc dvd cover released by synapse a few yrs back. Love that cover,hate the movie.

How can you hate that movie! What about the double act between James Lorinz and that dude from The Sopranos! So funny - I love the ramshackle gonzo charm of it all :nod: . . .

Slippery Jack 18th September 2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 274217)
My cup of tea,unfortunately I haven't seen it yet:(

Me neither. I've only seen a few films from the Dekalog - that one with the maths kid and the ice is one of the saddest things I've seen :cry:...

James Morton 18th September 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274249)
BABY BLOOD is a good film if shown in French, the English dub is horrible.

i think its going to be w/Eng subs
got the excellent R1 Anchor Bay of this 1990 horror
deserves a sp ed in the UK

g053584398 18th September 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 274198)

I haven't watched the film since the days of VHS, although I did pick up the DVD cheap a few months ago.

g053584398 18th September 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 274234)

You think that AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS and THE BEAST MUST DIE are crap? I'm very partial to Amicus films myself.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 274269)
I haven't watched the film since the days of VHS, although I did pick up the DVD cheap a few months ago.

I need to pick up its sister film A Short Film About Killing.

Not seen that since the vhs.

pedromonkey 19th September 2012 01:40 AM

Last few films viewed...

TOTAL RECALL (2012)
If Blade Runner, I.Robot, Minority Report, Star Wars, Equilibrium, The Fifth Element, The Island, Robocop, Inception, The 6th Day, Running Man, Demolition Man, Back To The Future and The Matrix never existed, Len Wiseman's remake of Total Recall would be a good film but as those films do exits Len Wiseman's remake of Total Recall is a pointless, unoriginal film that had no business ever being made. To say that i didn't enjoy parts would be wrong, but for a film that is near enough 2 hrs of 'lets rip off as many films as we can and hope people don't notice' it's slightly insulting. Not recommended.

TOTAL RECALL (1990)
Much like he did in Robocop and Starship Troopers, Paul Verhoven's Total Recall is a satrical sci-fi action film, that while it confronts the viewer with special FX and some lingering brutal violence, it also takes a swipe at corporations, corporate espionage and the control that hugh corporations hold over the everyman. But looking past that, this film is the dog's bollocks, brilliantly shot, gory as **** with some frankly outstanding practical FX from Rob Bottin, strung together by a funny, action packed screenplay from Ronald Suchet and Dan O'Bannon. Highly Recommended.

THE CROW
Such a brilliantly dark film that takes the gothic landscape of Burton's Gotham City and the stylings of film noir, throws them all together in a blender and pours out a vigilante back from the dead to avenge the death of his wife horror action film. A one of a kind picture that was never matched by it's sequels or TV show. The soundtrack compliments the film brilliantly with it's use of The Cure and Rage Against The Machine etc. Such a shame about the tragic death of Brandon Lee as this film would have made him huge. Highly Recommended.

BEING ELMO
A wonderful documentary charting the life of puppeteer Kevin Clash, the man who made Sesame Street's Elmo the most beloved muppet creation of all time, (yes even more so than Kermit) following his life from a poor Baltimore background as he started making puppets at age 10 up to his current status as Elmo's puppeteer and how he's become the executive producer of that show. Such a great film, emotional, funny and they show so much love that this man had for Jim Henson. Definitely check this out if you're a fan of the Muppets or just want to see something uplifting and Inspiring.

BAIT 3D
Sharks in a supermarket? actually this isn't as bad as it sounds, set in Australia it follows a group of people who get stuck in a flooded underground super market after an apocalyptic tidal wave floods the coast unleasing two 12ft Great white sharks into the super market. It's far better than the recent Shark Night and although it suffers from silly obvious CGI, there's still a sense of tension in the film. Not the best film ever made but an enjoyable 90 minute time killer.

THE AGGRESSION SCALE
Home Alone for adults. This was pretty good home invasion film where the victims turn the tables on the criminals only this time it's a whiny 16 year with issues and her mute, totally badass but totally mental 13 year old step brother. Some great performances all round especially the kid who plays the brother and Dana Ashbrook who plays the lead criminal. It was from the director of the awful Automaton Transfusion and Scream OF The Banshee so i didn't have too high hopes but found it great entertainment. Recommended.

GRAVE ENCOUNTERS
I'd heard that this was a great horror film, one that slipped past in all the Paranormal Activity nonsense. Well it was pretty good for about 45 minutes and then BAM!, It not only became cliched but very very predictable and the over reliance on CGI just made it look cheap and artificial. It had an interesting premise at the start but descended in mediocre fare. It essentially became just another found footage film. Not recommended.

COMIC-CON EPISODE IV: A FAN'S HOPE
This was a really great documentary about comic-con, the people who attend, the people who use it as a business opportunity and how it's grown so huge and how the actual comic side is dying thanks to Hollywood's infiltration. It follows 2 men eager to make it into the world of comic art, two people who met the previous year and started dating, A cosplayer and her friends who put their heart and soul into creating these incredible costumes for a 3 minute skit on a stage and the owner of the world famous Mile High Comics store as they struggle in a world that seems to dying (we find out that they're not dying in the end as their sales rise immensely thanks to the Avengers movies). It's a good insight into geekdom and feature people like Joss Whedon, Eli Roth, Kevin Smith and Kenneth Brannagh talking to the camera as well as comic industry people. Very interesting and shows that who ever you may be outside of comic con, everyone is the same inside comic con. An no Morgan Spurlock insight. Defo worth a watch.

Justin101 19th September 2012 03:00 PM

Watched Cigarette Burns last night, I really enjoyed it, it was quite a kick when the lead happened to be Darryl from The Walking Dead!
The only thing it was lacking was a proper John Carpenter score, the music was too 'American TV' - which obviously fits the fact it was a TV show.

Demoncrat 19th September 2012 03:36 PM

Contains Spoilers btw.

The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
.... Can I just mention how much I love this sumptious looking, if rather looney, film? Antony Steffen really sets out his stall within the first 10 minutes, sticking it to every bit of totty that comes his way....and boy, do they come haha. ;)
Filled with sleazy characters ("swinging" brother, just-a-little-too-smooth doctor etc), it twists and turns like.........a twisty turny sort of thing :laugh:

Recommended!!!

keirarts 19th September 2012 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 80700

Fantastic bbc ghost story I missed first time around (on account of being 10 years old and not allowed to watch it. ) Doing a bit of tidying around the house and found it in the stacks, decided to stick it on and give it a go.

Albert Finney plays a druncan womanising landlord of an old cambridgshire inn called the Green man, run as a high class (and priced) restaurant. Finney's character enjoys regaling the guests with tales of the ghosts that haunt the inn.

After his father passes away, he begins to realise that there may be more truth to the stories than he first imagined, pretty soon he's communicating with a 17th century cambridge proffessor who may have discovered a way to continue on after death...

The benefit of a 3 episode, 50 minutes an episode series like this is that it gives the story time to devlop properly, add to this the stella cast and Green man is a ghost story well worth checking out.

Susan Foreman 19th September 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274153)
I can name at least 6 people on here, who, oddly enough, rub themselves with Vaseline before watching a film.

Go on then.

Name them!

James Morton 19th September 2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 274342)
Watched Cigarette Burns last night, I really enjoyed it, it was quite a kick when the lead happened to be Darryl from The Walking Dead!
The only thing it was lacking was a proper John Carpenter score, the music was too 'American TV' - which obviously fits the fact it was a TV show.

the music was by Carpenter's son Cody

Rik 20th September 2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 274361)
Attachment 80700

Fantastic bbc ghost story I missed first time around (on account of being 10 years old and not allowed to watch it. ) Doing a bit of tidying around the house and found it in the stacks, decided to stick it on and give it a go.

Albert Finney plays a druncan womanising landlord of an old cambridgshire inn called the Green man, run as a high class (and priced) restaurant. Finney's character enjoys regaling the guests with tales of the ghosts that haunt the inn.

After his father passes away, he begins to realise that there may be more truth to the stories than he first imagined, pretty soon he's communicating with a 17th century cambridge proffessor who may have discovered a way to continue on after death...

The benefit of a 3 episode, 50 minutes an episode series like this is that it gives the story time to devlop properly, add to this the stella cast and Green man is a ghost story well worth checking out.

I remember watching this at the time, I guess my parents were used to me watching Horrors and reading Stephen King books at this point seeing as I was 11 when this aired and they let me watch it. Can't remember a damn thing about it now though!

Justin101 20th September 2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 274410)
the music was by Carpenter's son Cody

Yes I know, but Cody doesn't make music like his dad so it didn't work for me.

Demoncrat 21st September 2012 03:47 PM

Prometheus. Is it the sci fi equivalent of Dinosaur Jr's "Don't"? Or a horrible mish mash of varied cliches from the last 60 years of fantastic cinema? Regardless, I liked it. The Cthulhu-y facehugger a highlight imo.

Dinosaur Jr. - Don't (Album Version) - YouTube

Justin101 21st September 2012 06:53 PM

I also watched Prometheus, it started off ace, really quite exciting, then just went a bit meh by the end, it got to a point where I really didn't care about what was happening on screen. It 'looked' really nice though.

VicDakin 21st September 2012 09:18 PM

The Frighteners

1 Attachment(s)
not watched this for ages,so watching at the mo.............

Attachment 81102

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2012 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who Dares Wins (1982)

An absolutely terrific final twenty minutes brilliantly enhanced by an excellent theme. The film shows the SAS at work in a very realistic way, there are no gun battles as such, just quick fire single shots as each terrorist is despatched with perfect clinical precision.

Its just a shame that the opening hundred minutes feel a bit laboured, especially the two musical performances which go on for far too long.

VicDakin 21st September 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 274771)
Who Dares Wins (1982)

An absolutely terrific final twenty minutes brilliantly enhanced by an excellent theme. The film shows the SAS at work in a very realistic way, there are no gun battles as such, just quick fire single shots as each terrorist is despatched with perfect clinical precision.

Its just a shame that the opening hundred minutes feel a bit laboured, especially the two musical performances which go on for far too long.

yeah well not if they'd used Mud or Slade,then it would of been the perfect film :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 21st September 2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 274771)
Who Dares Wins (1982)

Did Lewis do a musical turn? Here's him in the Mojos.

Lewis Collins / The Mojos - Wait a minute / Slideshow - YouTube

Frankie Teardrop 21st September 2012 11:04 PM

Deprived of internet and video access over last week due to ridiculous new flat situation. A visit to friends yielded the following:
THE UGLY: Quite good, heavily stylised, slightly overlooked serial killer psychodrama from New Zealand. Twisted murderer guy spills his emotional load to shrink in imaginary-looking psyche ward (where one of the evil attendants has 'hard' or something equally dickish tatooed across his naked stomach). Some supernatural stuff gets thrown in, and whenever psychopath man looks in a mirror, his reflection is inexplicably scarred and, yes, ugly. None of this is dignified by an explanation, which is fine by me. But for all its minor weirdness and heavy handed colour scheme, the film works best when it flashes back to the killer's childhood and deals in a fairly straight, unadorned way with the trauma of bullying and the violence of emotional neglect.
THE LOVED ONES: A good sort-of inversion of 'Carrie' and the whole 'family as ultimate evil' school of horror. An incestuous-seeming father-daughter duo abduct a wounded high-school heart throb type and stage an alternative prom to the one daughter's too dysfunctional to get in on. Despite shrill elements like a pitfull of lobotomised zombie-suitors, 'The Loved Ones' never seems comedic or forced, and somehow seems quite coolly rendered. Something grabbed me about the lighting and cinematography... I don't know why, but it seemed in a subtle way quite neo-noirish or even Lynchian (not that the film was that weird) to me.
NIGHTBEAST: Surely Mr Dohler's finest hour. Actually I'm no expert at all, but this'll do me. No-one would conceive of making a film this way these days, not even a complete dick with a camcorder. That's no disrespect to Dan Dohler, who was a dedicated consumer as well as maker of genre cinema. In fact, tribute should be paid, both to the wonkiness of DD's personal vision, and to the time and place this was made, which I naively like to think was pre-focus group commodity straitjacket linearisation death or some impossible something. Anyway, this has an ape-reptile alien in a silver jumpsuit, HG Lewis throwaway gore, almost real-time verite sequences, lasers, sub-plots unrelated to bigger picture, an awful, awful sex scene and wicked minimal synth music. Totally recommended, this is, in microcosm, the VHS utopia that somehow never really was (apart from when it was this).

Make Them Die Slowly 21st September 2012 11:14 PM

I love "Nightbeast" and Dohler in general. Have you seen the documentary "Blood Boobs and Beast" and the seriously warped "Blood Massacre"?

Frankie Teardrop 21st September 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274786)
I love "Nightbeast" and Dohler in general. Have you seen the documentary "Blood Boobs and Beast" and the seriously warped "Blood Massacre"?

I've seen "Blood Boobs and Beast". Dohler comes across as a really endearing guy, the sort of person who should be out making sci-fi horror, and should've made more. I might be making this up in retrospect, but I quite liked the tension between Dohler and his ex-copper sidekick, who seemed to be steering the whole Dohler thing into a quasi-marketable standard rip-off kind of dimsension. That said, I once saw one of latter guy's bargain basement flicks which was basically about three porny vampire chicks luring men to their deaths over the internet, and quite appreciated its shameless minimalism.
I haven't seen 'Blood Massacre', but if the likes of your good self deign to describe it as 'seriously warped', I'm on its case.

VicDakin 21st September 2012 11:27 PM

Bottom: Mindless Violence

1 Attachment(s)
now watching Bottom: Mindless Violence

Attachment 81155

Make Them Die Slowly 21st September 2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 274793)
I've seen "Blood Boobs and Beast". Dohler comes across as a really endearing guy, the sort of person who should be out making sci-fi horror, and should've made more. I might be making this up in retrospect, but I quite liked the tension between Dohler and his ex-copper sidekick, who seemed to be steering the whole Dohler thing into a quasi-marketable standard rip-off kind of dimsension. That said, I once saw one of latter guy's bargain basement flicks which was basically about three porny vampire chicks luring men to their deaths over the internet, and quite appreciated its shameless minimalism.
I haven't seen 'Blood Massacre', but if the likes of your good self deign to describe it as 'seriously warped', I'm on its case.

I have "Blood Massacre" as part of a Mill Creek 6 film set called "Serial Psychos".

Frankie Teardrop 21st September 2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274797)
I have "Blood Massacre" as part of a Mill Creek 6 film set called "Serial Psychos".

Thanks for the info - I'll look out for it.

VicDakin 22nd September 2012 08:00 AM

What films have you seen recently?

2 Attachment(s)
the three-stooges-collection-3-1940-1942
heres me and the boys on our annual night out
Attachment 81184

Attachment 81183

Handyman Joe 22nd September 2012 09:50 AM

I ventured out to see Dredd at the cinema - it's a total blast! Spoiled only by the ropey 3D which, considering it was not optional and added 1-50 to the ticket price really pissed me off and is putting me off going to support this marketing policy in the future. Still, re Dredd I loved the grungy futuristic setting, the non-stop cartoonish gore, the self-awareness without making a mockery of the genre and, forgive me, I fell head over heels in love with Judge Anderson!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd September 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 274855)
I ventured out to see Dredd at the cinema - it's a total blast! Spoiled only by the ropey 3D which, considering it was not optional and added 1-50 to the ticket price really pissed me off and is putting me off going to support this marketing policy in the future. Still, re Dredd I loved the grungy futuristic setting, the non-stop cartoonish gore, the self-awareness without making a mockery of the genre and, forgive me, I fell head over heels in love with Judge Anderson!

Couldn't agree more with those sentiments, especially regarding the 3-D.