Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mercury 22nd September 2012 10:52 AM

Watched the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it in parts, but found it less entertaining than the original. To my surprise the best part for me was Rooney Mara's performance which I didn't think I would enjoy as Noomi Rapace for me embodies the role. I also found this film harder to follow even though I knew the story. Hope the sequels are a bit better.

demonknight 22nd September 2012 11:05 AM

Watched jaws last night on bluray. Beautiful looking and the sound wasn't
lacking either. Packed with extra's,will get through them another time.
Loved seeing it again,it had been awhile. Pity the doc's weren't in hi-def but
still nice to have them. Well done universal on a great JAWS blu.

Frankie Teardrop 22nd September 2012 11:59 AM

Time for one last movie before I'm back to staring at four empty walls for another week. No I'm not being sent down, just renting a flat with no internet and no dvd access. Anyway, this time it's -
THE SEVENTH CURSE - A true marvel of HK whackiness. Possibly not as spiritually twisted as the likes of 'The Boxer's Omen', nevertheless a demented ride around the cartoon angles of a cheap fairground of gleefully knocked off movie fragments. This one throws in some rip-off eighties adventure action a la 'Indiana Jones' along with classic prosthetic VHS era horror and gore and follows the ordeal of a doctor who travels to Thailand in an attempt to rid himself of a curse which causes squibs to explode from his veins. The originator of the curse is a mad Phil Oakey lookalike who harbours a weird foetus-ghost "made from the blood of 200 children" and is the leader of a 'worm tribe'. All manner of psychotronic craziness abounds, including a really hard skeleton who mutates into a Ridley Scott type Alien copy and an eruption of worms which must've been stolen from the secret archive of Lucio Fulci.

wonderlust 22nd September 2012 12:17 PM

The Disappearance of Alice Creed, 2009
Red Light, 2012

gag 22nd September 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 274855)
I ventured out to see Dredd at the cinema - it's a total blast! Spoiled only by the ropey 3D which, considering it was not optional and added 1-50 to the ticket price really pissed me off and is putting me off going to support this marketing policy in the future. Still, re Dredd I loved the grungy futuristic setting, the non-stop cartoonish gore, the self-awareness without making a mockery of the genre and, forgive me, I fell head over heels in love with Judge Anderson!

Tbh a lot of 3d isn't as affective as ppl like to think you do get certain scenes that stand out in some films but some people think 3d is al about coming out at you and it isn't it's also about depth,
Totaly honebeware opening and closing ceremony of the Olympics that was more than impressive Totaly outstanding the best use of 3d I've seen by far, I didn't recorded the opening in 3d just watched wish I had but recorded the closing kept it and showed people who come round and go on about 3d and showed them this and everyone is Totaly go smacked at how good it was,

g053584398 22nd September 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 274889)
Time for one last movie before I'm back to staring at four empty walls for another week. No I'm not being sent down, just renting a flat with no internet and no dvd access. Anyway, this time it's -
THE SEVENTH CURSE - A true marvel of HK whackiness. Possibly not as spiritually twisted as the likes of 'The Boxer's Omen', nevertheless a demented ride around the cartoon angles of a cheap fairground of gleefully knocked off movie fragments. This one throws in some rip-off eighties adventure action a la 'Indiana Jones' along with classic prosthetic VHS era horror and gore and follows the ordeal of a doctor who travels to Thailand in an attempt to rid himself of a curse which causes squibs to explode from his veins. The originator of the curse is a mad Phil Oakey lookalike who harbours a weird foetus-ghost "made from the blood of 200 children" and is the leader of a 'worm tribe'. All manner of psychotronic craziness abounds, including a really hard skeleton who mutates into a Ridley Scott type Alien copy and an eruption of worms which must've been stolen from the secret archive of Lucio Fulci.

Yes THE SEVENTH CURSE is one crazy film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

James Morton 22nd September 2012 03:51 PM

saw BABY BLOOD on horror channel last night
w/Eng siubs as expected and the film itself is very good
seen it before and the lead actress is very sexy despite the gap tooth!:)

Hawkmonger 22nd September 2012 04:27 PM

Ah, yes. Feed me your love for Dredd.
Feeed meeee Sssssiners!!!!

I'm turning into Judge Death arn't I?

Handyman Joe 22nd September 2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 274905)
Tbh a lot of 3d isn't as affective as ppl like to think you do get certain scenes that stand out in some films but some people think 3d is al about coming out at you and it isn't it's also about depth,
Totaly honebeware opening and closing ceremony of the Olympics that was more than impressive Totaly outstanding the best use of 3d I've seen by far, I didn't recorded the opening in 3d just watched wish I had but recorded the closing kept it and showed people who come round and go on about 3d and showed them this and everyone is Totaly go smacked at how good it was,

For me, the only outstanding 3D I've seen this year was Prometheus - Ridley Scott had the nous to use it to inspire ideas (the scanning technology for example) rather than just having it there to put one image on top of another image for the sake of it. The weird thing is, when I saw Beauwolf in the Imax a few years ago I was blown away - 3D possibilites seemed endless, but we seem to have gone backwards since then. almost as if, perish the thought, its become a last minute add on to make extra cream off the top. I accept I'm being cynical and Hollywood would never stoop so low.
Can't believe I didn't mention the soundtrack on Dredd - just fantastic, and really carried the movie for me.

VicDakin 22nd September 2012 06:28 PM

The Skeleton Key

1 Attachment(s)
was'nt expecting much but pleasantly surprised,a good cast with Kate Hudson and John Hurt,nicely shot,not bad for a 1
Attachment 81363

keirarts 22nd September 2012 07:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 81364

Attachment 81365

Attachment 81366

For me the best of the lot was Tod solondz DARK HORSE. Continuing the darkly humerous tone of his previous films this one features some outstanding performances in a film about a privilidged self obsessed loser trying to marry for all the wrong reasons!

SAFE is pure straight up no-nonsense violent fun and Marley is an interesting documentary that sidesteps some of the more difficult parts of the singer's life but still manages to be interesting nontheless.

bdc 22nd September 2012 08:48 PM

Watched more HK horrors/wuxia films lately but haven't found time to review them yet...any interest in short reviews of these?

Night of the Devil's Bride
Revenge of the Corpse
Finger of Doom
Come Drink with Me
The Enchanting Shadow

Also watched the somewhat strange arthouse/cat III hybrid Viva Erotica btw. ;)

SShaw 22nd September 2012 08:55 PM

Resident Evil: Retribution - more of the same from Mr and Mrs Anderson.

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd September 2012 09:16 PM

GRAVE ENCOUNTERS. The hosts of a paranormal TV show meet real ghosts in an abandoned asylum. If you are scared of very long corridors being endlessly shown by torch light, this will scare the shit out of you. If you aren't scared of corridors there's nothing to be afraid of. I quite liked this even as it irritated the shit out of me with it's wobbly cam/found footage images. It takes a weird twist midway through but sadly never really explores the twist.

Prince_Vajda 22nd September 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 275031)
Resident Evil: Retribution - more of the same from Mr and Mrs Anderson.

Worse or better than the last one? I love parts one to three, but I thought part four was pretty mediocre...

Greetings!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 22nd September 2012 10:58 PM

I went to see Paranorman today and absolutely LOVED it! There's no doubt - this is now one of my all time favorite films. Beautifully animated with a great plot, the comedy is bang on too. The whole film is full of horror references to and the film's score is perfect, again a huge nod to 80s zombie films.

GO AND SEE IT!

I could also relate a lot to it - I've been told I look like Norman and am quite similar to him (besides the whole talking to the dead thing...at the moment). Also a bit strange how all the other characters seem to be animated versions of people I knew. Bit odd that!

Hawkmonger 23rd September 2012 06:27 AM

I hear there are quite alot of Fulci homages in ParaNorman. Bit odd for a PG.

wonderlust 23rd September 2012 07:41 AM

The Vineyard, 1989
Hellboy II, 2008

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 275042)
I went to see Paranorman today and absolutely LOVED it! There's no doubt - this is now one of my all time favorite films. Beautifully animated with a great plot, the comedy is bang on too. The whole film is full of horror references to and the film's score is perfect, again a huge nod to 80s zombie films.

GO AND SEE IT!

I could also relate a lot to it - I've been told I look like Norman and am quite similar to him (besides the whole talking to the dead thing...at the moment). Also a bit strange how all the other characters seem to be animated versions of people I knew. Bit odd that!

I saw ParaNorman last week and thought it was great. I much preferred it to Coralline (another stop motion animated film by the same studio) and, unlike that, will definitely pick this up on BD when it's released so I can pick up on the references more than when I saw it (in 2-D) at the cinema.

I was surprised by how scary and intense some of the scenes were for a PG-rated film but, then again, many younger children like to be scared as it's a thrill and almost a rite of passage. Everyone I know who's seen ParaNorman has really liked it and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, and possibly beating Brave to the award.

Rik 23rd September 2012 10:17 AM

I want to take my kids to see this, it looks really good

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275105)
I want to take my kids to see this, it looks really good

Go and see it, Rik. You and the kids will love it!

Rik 23rd September 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 275106)
Go and see it, Rik. You and the kids will love it!

My youngest is 4, do you think it will be too scary for him?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275107)

Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young. All the kids that was in the screening yesterday was about 7 or so. It's not Frankenweenie or Coraline scary though, but 4 may be a little too young.

Rik 23rd September 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 275109)
Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young. All the kids that was in the screening yesterday was about 7 or so. It's not Frankenweenie or Coraline scary though, but 4 may be a little too young.

Ah right, I might wait until its released on home video then, at least I can turn it off at home if either of them get scared

Nordicdusk 23rd September 2012 01:42 PM

Watched Trick r Treat . A really great film just loved how everything was tied together little twists and just the overall feel to the film just fantastic. Cant believe i didnt know about this sooner.

demonknight 23rd September 2012 02:01 PM

The cabin in the woods.
So much to take in I think i'll have to watch it again.
Loved the last 20-25 mins.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275107)

He (I presume it's your son) will undoubtedly find some scenes scary (that's the point!) but, as long as you're next to him so he can grab hold of you if it gets a little too frightening, he should be okay. There is plenty of humour and the director equated it to an episode of Scooby Doo, but if it gets a bit too much, would your eldest be all right in the cinema by himself if you sat outside with your four year old?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 02:13 PM

I'm with Nos here. It's definetly much better if you can see it on the big screen. I'm sure it'll be something your kids will remember when they grow up. Plus the 3D is quite good in this film!

gag 23rd September 2012 02:19 PM

Dead in 3 days ... Enjoyed this
Animal kingdom..Not bad worthy of a watch but bit slow in parts for me,
God bless America , couldn't really get into it turned of half way through,
Coast guard was ok but nowt special
Raid redemption , great film none stop action

Rik 23rd September 2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 275135)
He (I presume it's your son) will undoubtedly find some scenes scary (that's the point!) but, as long as you're next to him so he can grab hold of you if it gets a little too frightening, he should be okay. There is plenty of humour and the director equated it to an episode of Scooby Doo, but if it gets a bit too much, would your eldest be all right in the cinema by himself if you sat outside with your four year old?

Thinking about it, there's probably more chance of his older brother being scared ha ha, I think I'll risk it at half term in the next couple of weeks

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275143)
Thinking about it, there's probably more chance of his older brother being scared ha ha, I think I'll risk it at half term in the next couple of weeks

Like Kyle said, it will hopefully be a memorable experience for both boys, especially if they grow up to be horror film fans! If one or both of them become film fans, especially loving horror films, this could be a fond memory of the first horror film/memorable film/3-D film they saw at the cinema (even if it isn't!).

SShaw 23rd September 2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 275036)
Worse or better than the last one? I love parts one to three, but I thought part four was pretty mediocre...

Greetings!

Much better than part 4, but not as good as the original.

Susan Foreman 23rd September 2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young.

Playing Devil's Advocate, and possibly opening myself up to a lot of comments, but Kyle, do you not think you are falling into BBFC territory here - i.e. saying what YOU think should be seen and what is NOT acceptable to people of a certain age?

Baseball Fury 23rd September 2012 08:15 PM

What a ridiculous thing to say. He was asked for his opinion, having watched the film itself, not stating a fact.

Rik 23rd September 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 275214)
What a ridiculous thing to say. He was asked for his opinion, having watched the film itself, not stating a fact.

True, much the same as the way I waited until I was absolutely certain The Dark Knight Rises was ok for my 8 year old to watch before I took him. I want my kids to enjoy trips to the cinema, not be terrified by the films we watch, so by getting some advice beforehand it saves on the hassle later

Susan Foreman 23rd September 2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 275214)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275218)
True, much the same as the way I waited until I was absolutely certain The Dark Knight Rises was ok for my 8 year old to watch before I took him. I want my kids to enjoy trips to the cinema, not be terrified by the films we watch, so by getting some advice beforehand it saves on the hassle later

But with all due respect, and again opening my self up to comments, surely that at all the BBFC do - stating a fact (!) as to what they think is acceptable for 'public viewing'

*Note - I am against the BBFC as much as you are!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 08:44 PM

Personally I don't think the BBFC is a bad thing, in principle...most of the time. By giving films certification based on age and providing information like 'contains scenes of violence' etc, it does let parents know roughly what to expect from the film, for their kids. Afterall, the certificates only go up to an 18, after that watch what you like.

...UNTIL they start censoring and banning things! That's the line they wrongly cross. Providing people with a guidance of what to expect (via a certificate) is the way to go, but banning and cutting things is a whole nother issue. Of course, whether those younger than the certificate should be admitted even with parents is something else too.

So,Suzi, yep, I do think the BBFC should carry on rating films, but not censoring.

Plus, Rik asked for our advice and opinion, whereas the BBFC tells us their opinions.

Susan Foreman 23rd September 2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 275233)
...UNTIL they start censoring and banning things! That's the line they wrongly cross. Providing people with a guidance of what to expect (via a certificate) is the way to go, but banning and cutting things is a whole nother issue. Of course, whether those younger than the certificate should be admitted even with parents is something else too.

Agreed, and that is the point I was trying (and possibly failing) to make

I don't have a problem with a rating system - as you say, giving information to people about the kind of images/sounds etc that a film contains. That is good, and shoud be used to indicate what a viewer is likely to see

My problem is with people who say that this can only be seen by someone who is 'x' years old, which ( as always with all due respect) is what you seemed to do:

Quote:

Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young..

I am assuming that you do not know Rik, and you do not know his children, and therefore I don't see how you could suggest that some scenes might be scary..Rik's children may have been brought up on 'The Exorcist'. so modern films might be 'Child's Play' (no pun intended). Alternately, his children mignt find 'Balamory' terrifying, so any kind of scary film might be unsuitable!

Look, I have had a long and tiring day, and I don't know what I'm saying

Think I should go and get some toast!

Rik 23rd September 2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 275243)

I am assuming that you do not know Rik, and you do not know his children, and therefore I don't see how you could suggest that some scenes might be scary..Rik's children may have been brought up on 'The Exorcist'. so modern films might be 'Child's Play' (no pun intended). Alternately, his children mignt find 'Balamory' terrifying, so any kind of scary film might be unsuitable!

I know you not implying that I've let my kids watch this, but can you imagine the sort of trouble I'd be in if I had ha ha!
And seeing as you unintentionally mentioned Child's Play, Dylan(my eldest) is terrified of Chucky, I'm not sure where he's seen him before(I don't own any of them or have watched the films in his company), but every time we go into CEX he won't go anywhere near the B & C sections because they have Chucky films on display! He even had a nightmare about him the other week after a visit to said shop.

I find Balamory terrifying though! :eek:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2012 10:33 PM

The BBFC rated it PG:

Quote:

PG stands for Parental Guidance. A PG film should not disturb a child aged around eight or older. However, parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset younger or more sensitive children.
For extensive details, go to the PBBFC website:

Parents bbfc - Film detail