Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 27th September 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276184)
Roberts Blossom - From Deranged to Home Alone. Wonderful stuff, a classic horror and an all time favourite. Not to mention Escape from Alcatraz. :clap:

Ha ha, I forgot he was in Home Alone.
It is indeed a classic and I'm cross with myself for waiting 21 years to watch it. I'm now planning on obtaining the other films in the "series" as it were, Dead of Night, Children Shouldn't Write Long Film Titles etc, they were cheap from Zavvi the other day

VicDakin 27th September 2012 04:56 PM

Roberts Blossom

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 276186)
Ha ha, I forgot he was in Home Alone.
It is indeed a classic and I'm cross with myself for waiting 21 years to watch it. I'm now planning on obtaining the other films in the "series" as it were, Dead of Night, Children Shouldn't Write Long Film Titles etc, they were cheap from Zavvi the other day

he was great in Christine
Attachment 81932

re.form 27th September 2012 06:33 PM

JFK
Curse of the Crimson Altar

SharonLynette 27th September 2012 06:51 PM

House of Wax (1953)

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

A quiet week for me, well so far. Only watched films I've seen before plus I'm full of a cold so I haven't been quite in the mood. It's holiday time for me though, the front room is set up so it should be film after film after film!

Prince_Vajda 27th September 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 276251)
House of Wax (1953)

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

A quiet week for me, well so far. Only watched films I've seen before plus I'm full of a cold so I haven't been quite in the mood. It's holiday time for me though, the front room is set up so it should be film after film after film!

One real classic and one trashy classic - nice pair!

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One Night at McCool's (2001)

Excellent comic drama with an all star cast - Liv Tyler, Michael Douglas, Matt Dillon, John Goodman, Paul Reiser, Reba McEntire and Richard Jenkins.

Tyler plays Jewel, the manipulative heroine around whom the story circulates due to that one night at McCool's.

The plot is far too twisty turny to fully go into but its a funny, sexy, violent beautifully acted and well written movie that is well worth seeking out. A little like a cross between Wild Things and Mario Bava's Four Times That Night.

The film has great re-watch potential, this was the fifth time i'd seen it.

A comedy that delivers more than fart jokes and someone sticking their dick in an apple pie.

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276257)
One Night at McCool's (2001)

Excellent comic drama with an all star cast - Liv Tyler, Michael Douglas, Matt Dillon, John Goodman, Paul Reiser, Reba McEntire and Richard Jenkins.

Tyler plays Jewel, the manipulative heroine around whom the story circulates due to that one night at McCool's.

The plot is far too twisty turny to fully go into but its a funny, sexy, violent beautifully acted and well written movie that is well worth seeking out. A little like a cross between Wild Things and Mario Bava's Four Times That Night.

The film has great re-watch potential, this was the fifth time i'd seen it.

A comedy that delivers more than fart jokes and someone sticking their dick in an apple pie.

And you've got to love those teeth and that hair on Michael Douglas!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 276263)
And you've got to love those teeth and that hair on Michael Douglas!

I wasn't going to mention that. It would come as a nice surprise to any newcomers to the film. :lol:

Prince_Vajda 27th September 2012 10:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You fellas won't believe it - I've watched not one, but two films today! And both of them from the very beginning to the very end. A little but important step forward - at least that's what I hope it is.

Miami Blues. I bought the film because I'm a big fan of Mr Baldwin and an even bigger fan of Mr Ward. Both play pretty ****ed-up characters, and both are highly convincing. "Junior" (Baldwin) is an ex-con, a total loony - and dangerous. Sgt. Moseley (Ward) is a drunk, and has a set of false teeth. You'll also find: quite a few strange characters, action, and hilarious dialogues:
Sergeant Moseley: Your turn to notify the next of kin?
Sergeant Henderson: No way. I did the fat lady that sat on the kid. That's good for two.
Also watch out for JJ Leigh's perky titties - IBA!*
Really entertaining flick with quite a bit of violence - it never drags.
* * * 1/2 out of * * * *

The Crow. That was me revisiting this film for the first time this evening. I liked it when I first watched it - now I love it. Believe me, I don't grant this film any bonus because of its tragic circumstances. No, I simply think that The Crow is one of the finest films of the 90s and one of the best films ever. There's style next to sheer dirt and uglyness. There's violence next to tenderness. It's full of love and hate. It has a great soundtrack. It's beautifully shot. And, what's more - it has fine dialogues spoken by outstanding actors. Ernie Hudson's police officer is full of warmth and noticeable reliability, Brandon Lee is both avenger and poet, and Rochelle Davis is deeply moving as a lonely child on the search for real love - it's very sad that she did not pursue a career in the movie business after this film, as she obviously had lots of talent.
Watch out for Bai Ling's nude bum in the shower - IBA!*
Simply a brilliant movie.
* * * * out of * * * *

Greetings!

PS: Brandon Lee was a great actor and soooo beautiful.... it's such a crying shame he had to leave us so early...
PPS: *IBA = Instant Boner Alert

SharonLynette 27th September 2012 10:12 PM

I have had a lot of cough medicine today....

Dreamscape (1984) - personally at first I found this a bit dull but the last 15-20 minutes amused me greatly!

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988) - Always good!

Rik 27th September 2012 10:22 PM

Just finished watching Beneath The Darkness, another fine recommendation from on here. I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for the hard work of Kyle and Sam. Excellent thriller featuring probably Dennis Quaid's best role as a super sinister killer, highly recommended!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 276392)
Just finished watching Beneath The Darkness, another fine recommendation from on here. I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for the hard work of Kyle and Sam. Excellent thriller featuring probably Dennis Quaid's best role as a super sinister killer, highly recommended!

I won that on here, but haven't received it yet.

Rik 27th September 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276395)
I won that on here, but haven't received it yet.

I doubt you'll be disappointed mate, I thoroughly enjoyed it

PaulD 28th September 2012 06:28 AM

The Possession. Fairly standard possession film with a few good shocks. Not great but not the worst way to pass 90 minutes.

Baseball Fury 28th September 2012 08:09 AM

They Live

After watching a 35mm print of this the other week, I thought I'd dig out the DVD version. The difference between the two was night and day. I can't wait for a BD release of this, I'm even tempted to get a multi-region player (even though I promised the wife-to-be I wouldn't) just so I can get the Shout! Factory Region A disc.

James Morton 28th September 2012 02:07 PM

THE SQUEEZE
this film was the first Brit gangster film i had seen esp at the cinema
excellent film
i've said before this great thriller deserves a UK sp ed

SharonLynette 28th September 2012 04:45 PM

Alphaville (1965)
The Family Way (1966)
Cul-De-Sac (1966)

Hoping for a more gruesome evening, or something funny.

keirarts 28th September 2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 276596)
Alphaville (1965)
THe Faily Way (1966)
Cul-De-Sac (1966)

Hoping for a more gruesome evening, or something funny.

I always thought cul-de-sac was quite funny.

SharonLynette 28th September 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 276608)
I always thought cul-de-sac was quite funny.

Oh I agree with you, I'm just looking for some cheap laughs tonight!

Baseball Fury 28th September 2012 05:55 PM

Dumb and Dumber, you know it makes sense

SharonLynette 28th September 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 276629)
Dumb and Dumber, you know it makes sense

Never!

Wes 28th September 2012 06:21 PM

The mood today was European and serious, a double-bill of Fassbinder's early gangster film Love Is Colder Than Death and Tarkovsky's Solaris, courtesy of Criterion's liquid smooth Blu, like seeing the film for the first time...

http://www.sci-fimovieposters.co.uk/...e_poster_l.jpg

VicDakin 28th September 2012 06:23 PM

bottom

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 276632)
Never!

perhaps madam would prefer the Bottom :)

Attachment 82230

Handyman Joe 28th September 2012 07:18 PM

Here's some things I've seen recently and my thoughts upon said things

The Killing - Not the Danish one with the lady in the jumper, but the early Kubrick - it's pretty good apart from a dumb voiceover telling you whats going on (Eminem spoofed this in the Guilty Conscience video I now realise) and a racehorse being shot. Not dissimilar to Riffifi with the same fatalistic, we're all doomed (especially criminals) vibe.

Hotel - Yet again, 3rd time in a year. What is it with this movie? Saw through it's technique this time - every shot is simply held for about 20 seconds longer than necessary - yet it still spooks me. There's a scene which simply shows the lead actress in an old fashioned dressing gown bending over, except the framing cuts her head off and it seems shot in a weirdly elongated way - inexplicably shivery.

Paranorman - 3rd cinema visit in as many weeks and it's still all good. I loved this, although its probably scarred my mates kids for life. Never thought I'd see Cannibal Apocalypse referenced in a kids movie. Either we're living in strange times or i'm getting old - probably both. One moan - why didn't they follow through on the 'seeing dead people' angle - those early spectres were hilarious, especially the mobster still in his concrete 'boots'!

Strip Nude for Your Killer - Hmmm. I've been on a 'classics' kick lately so thought I'd add a bit of roughage to my diet and watch this piece of shucht. All i remember is a succession of luridly coloured underpants and breasts. Lots of breasts. They don't make them like this anymore, thank Christ.

Wages of Fear - Now you're talking, what a film - just oozes atmosphere for the first hour and tension for the second. I think it's all a descent into hell, complete with inferno and devilish twist at the end but you'll be too gobsmacked to notice at the time. French actors & directors circa 1950s were incredible - Les Diaboliques, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Riffifi and now this - any other recommendations most welcome.

Barfly - Mickey Rourke's performance here is something else, I can't decide whether it's his best or worst. Looks like he's got a mouthful of cotton wool in his gub, a la Brando and he adopts a weird stooped gait for the entire movie - and what's that accent about? Jack Nance is in it! So is Frank Stallone! Catfight between Faye Dunaway and a snobby blonde bird at the end briefly stirs the torpor. Actually I quite like this film for all its drunken tottering.

SharonLynette 28th September 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 276638)
perhaps madam would prefer the Bottom :)

Attachment 82230

Warmer! Although I'm not quite sure myself but The Comic Strip Presents box set has been brought down to the den, along with Drive-In Cult Classics and SCTV.

Wes 28th September 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 276683)
Wages of Fear - Now you're talking, what a film - just oozes atmosphere for the first hour and tension for the second. I think it's all a descent into hell, complete with inferno and devilish twist at the end but you'll be too gobsmacked to notice at the time. French actors & directors circa 1950s were incredible - Les Diaboliques, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Riffifi and now this - any other recommendations most welcome.

Fantastic list Joe, have you seen William Freidkin's Wages of Fear update Sorcerer ? Incredible film...this needs a Blu-Ray immediately...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Cl-So0Kqbkk/0.jpg

Handyman Joe 28th September 2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 276699)
Fantastic list Joe, have you seen William Freidkin's Wages of Fear update Sorcerer ? Incredible film...this needs a Blu-Ray immediately...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Cl-So0Kqbkk/0.jpg

I haven't seen it but would love to. Apparently Freidkin is in the last stages of a legal battle with Paramount (I think) to get the film released. It seems it was made under dodgy tax conditions and now the studio wants to bury it - arseholes. Lets hope old Wullie wins the case!

Wes 28th September 2012 08:08 PM

It's taken me years of false start and abandoned screenings but I'm finally enjoying the films of Jean Rollin, courtesy of the Redemption/Kino Blu's - I watched Rape of the Vampire yesterday afternoon, on the hop from work, and it's a strange and magickal film if you can tune into Rollin's peculier wavelength...

http://evilmonito.com/wp-content/upl...pe_600_375.jpg

SShaw 28th September 2012 09:17 PM

I finally succumbed and bought the German Steelbook of The Boondock Saints this evening on the way home. The Blu-Ray of the film is accompanied with a DVD of Overnight the documentary about director Troy Parker.

The film is much better than I remembered, perhaps I have mellowed with age?

The German Blu-Ray is English friendly as one might expect for a U.S. film and it is possible to turn off the German subs completely (even for onscreen text). Only downside is the trailer for Red Tails the most recent Lucas travesty.

Nordicdusk 28th September 2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 276685)
Warmer! Although I'm not quite sure myself but The Comic Strip Presents box set has been brought down to the den, along with Drive-In Cult Classics and SCTV.

Its gotta be a Bad News double bill for sure. :rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th September 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 276721)
It's taken me years of false start and abandoned screenings but I'm finally enjoying the films of Jean Rollin, courtesy of the Redemption/Kino Blu's - I watched Rape of the Vampire yesterday afternoon, on the hop from work, and it's a strange and magickal film if you can tune into Rollin's peculier wavelength...

I never knew it was black and white. Quite a surprise.

Nordicdusk 28th September 2012 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 82401

Its a long time since i seen this the dvd is not great quality so an upgrade is on the cards for me.

Vampix 28th September 2012 10:12 PM

The Name of the Rose
Holy crap, there's some ugly f*ckers in this, good film though.Sean Connery is great and is, undoubtedly, the best looking cast member in it. :D

Make Them Die Slowly 28th September 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 276683)
Here's some things I've seen recently and my thoughts upon said things

The Killing - Not the Danish one with the lady in the jumper, but the early Kubrick - it's pretty good apart from a dumb voiceover telling you whats going on (Eminem spoofed this in the Guilty Conscience video I now realise) and a racehorse being shot. Not dissimilar to Riffifi with the same fatalistic, we're all doomed (especially criminals) vibe.

Hotel - Yet again, 3rd time in a year. What is it with this movie? Saw through it's technique this time - every shot is simply held for about 20 seconds longer than necessary - yet it still spooks me. There's a scene which simply shows the lead actress in an old fashioned dressing gown bending over, except the framing cuts her head off and it seems shot in a weirdly elongated way - inexplicably shivery.

Paranorman - 3rd cinema visit in as many weeks and it's still all good. I loved this, although its probably scarred my mates kids for life. Never thought I'd see Cannibal Apocalypse referenced in a kids movie. Either we're living in strange times or i'm getting old - probably both. One moan - why didn't they follow through on the 'seeing dead people' angle - those early spectres were hilarious, especially the mobster still in his concrete 'boots'!

Strip Nude for Your Killer - Hmmm. I've been on a 'classics' kick lately so thought I'd add a bit of roughage to my diet and watch this piece of shucht. All i remember is a succession of luridly coloured underpants and breasts. Lots of breasts. They don't make them like this anymore, thank Christ.

Barfly - Mickey Rourke's performance here is something else, I can't decide whether it's his best or worst. Looks like he's got a mouthful of cotton wool in his gub, a la Brando and he adopts a weird stooped gait for the entire movie - and what's that accent about? Jack Nance is in it! So is Frank Stallone! Catfight between Faye Dunaway and a snobby blonde bird at the end briefly stirs the torpor. Actually I quite like this film for all its drunken tottering.

Rourke does a fairly good impression of Charles Bukowski, the author of the film through out. Sean Penn was originally up for the role, Bukowski preferred him. The book "Hollywood" by Bukowski gives his version of the making of "Barfly" and what a knob Rourke was during it.

The film also contains one of my favourite insults: "Your Mother's c*nt stinks like carpet cleaner"

Make Them Die Slowly 28th September 2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 276721)

Have you seen "The Iron Rose", a thing of wonder and beauty.

Handyman Joe 28th September 2012 10:22 PM

It's bad news when you're sofa bound and incapable of working the blu ray player - sudddenly you're at the mercy of TV for a movie. A few weeks ago it was Jaws 4, which I claimed on here was the worst movie of all time - however, maybe not - I've been watching something called The Break-Up starring people called 'Jennifer Aniston' and 'Vincent Vaughan'. Hell's this shit? Every line falls like a turd, the characters are beyond unbelievable -rich, loveable white eccentrics with interesting jobs and endless free time to arse around -, the music is bland focussed grouped 'rock' (just a slight edge please Mr Director we need to appeal to the rebellious demographic). A would-be comedy setpiece involving a brother in law singing at the dinner table was excruciating in its failure. Another scene at a bowling alley moved me to horrible tears. Tell me this wasn't a successful movie. Please.

Handyman Joe 28th September 2012 10:30 PM

They've started shouting at each other a lot, is it possible I've spectacularly missed the point and the first half hour was meant to be shite, a spoof if you will? Ah who cares I'II never know cause. I'm off to bed.

Rik 28th September 2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 276774)
It's bad news when you're sofa bound and incapable of working the blu ray player - sudddenly you're at the mercy of TV for a movie. A few weeks ago it was Jaws 4, which I claimed on here was the worst movie of all time - however, maybe not - I've been watching something called The Break-Up starring people called 'Jennifer Aniston' and 'Vincent Vaughan'. Hell's this shit? Every line falls like a turd, the characters are beyond unbelievable -rich, loveable white eccentrics with interesting jobs and endless free time to arse around -, the music is bland focussed grouped 'rock' (just a slight edge please Mr Director we need to appeal to the rebellious demographic). A would-be comedy setpiece involving a brother in law singing at the dinner table was excruciating in its failure. Another scene at a bowling alley moved me to horrible tears. Tell me this wasn't a successful movie. Please.

Quick, switch channels to Film4(providing you're in the UK), Copycat is on, fantastic film, one of my personal favourites!

keirarts 28th September 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 276611)
Oh I agree with you, I'm just looking for some cheap laughs tonight!

Cheaper than Donald pleasence in drag?

keirarts 28th September 2012 10:48 PM

Back to topic. Tonight I watched an enjoyable but trashy film called ROLLING VENGENCE.

Its about a trucker who loses some family to Ned beaty's idiot sons in a drunken attack who decides to take the law into his own hands by building a giant armoured monster truck with added weapons!

Old Ned is playing a 'tough guy' who runs a bar all the 'decent' locals are trying to get shut down because people get drunk and then drive home (the bar also has a stripper and serves chicken wings) His sons get off with the usual 'the law is an ass' scene in court (which is unconvincing since the one sober witness could identify them) and the whole thing is very 80's straight to video cheese of the best kind.

I'm thinking code red should acquire this film, I had to resort to a vhs rip in order to actually see it.

Highly reccomended though!