Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2017, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Zombie Flesh Eaters

Seen it tons of times before, first via the cut 1992/3 Vipco VHS, then via the slightly less cut Stonevision UK DVD in the early 2000's, finally uncut a couple of years later with the Italian Shock DVD (as Zombi 2), and again fully uncut with the Mediablasters R1 25th Anniversary DVD. A few years back Blue Underground released it on Blu Ray, so I saw in HD for the first time and finally Arrow released a great 2 disc set 5 years ago (I won't mention the missing 6 seconds, or the piss about I had getting my copy)

Despite seeing it many times in various versions on various platforms, last nights viewing of the Arrow BD was ruined slightly.
The reason for this is because back in October (and again a couple of weeks back) a certain moderator called Demdike reviewed the film and pointed out all the glaring mistakes, mistakes I'd known about and seen previously, but now I found myself watching out for them and realising just how much they stand out

It's certainly not Fulci's best film, but it is definitely my favourite of his and the one I tend to watch the most, so thanks Dem for ruining it for me every time I watch it, most appreciated

*It is a bit shit really, but I ****ing love it

Note to self, I must watch Casablanca and TRY find some mistakes to pay Demdike back

Attachment 189457

What? A B movie elevated to classic status by legions of adoring fans? That's certainly never happened before cough
ZFE is what it is. No film is perfect (opens floodgates.....). suspension of disbelief is part of the basic kit surely??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2017, 10:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm with Rik on this one. 1408 is really well scripted and directed, with fine performances by the main characters. I think it's a really tense and atmospheric film without the cheap, fake jump scares which blight so many recent films.
It's in a King box set I had delivered the other week and after Rik's review I feel like watching it, so I'm going to give it a go later on I've wanted to watch it for ages to be honest and just not got around to it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th April 2017, 11:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Extended Edition.

****1/2 out of *****

My rankings of the Middle-earth saga:

The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Desolation of Smaug
An Unexpected Journey
The Battle of the Five Armies
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks Two Towers is the best one.
Although i've still not sat through the final Hobbit film.
I found the original trilogy much more engaging, the overuse of CGI in the newer films makes me zone out. The first three use CGI but it's mixed with a lot more props and sets which made them seem more real.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I found the original trilogy much more engaging, the overuse of CGI in the newer films makes me zone out. The first three use CGI but it's mixed with a lot more props and sets which made them seem more real.
with battle of 5 armies, you're not missing much
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Im not a big fan of the hobbit films, Give me Lord of the rings trilogy over hobbit trilogy ..
Old 17th April 2017, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran

Funny enough I've not watched Battle of the Five Armies myself despite owing the trilogy box set. I can't imagine how they've made an entire film from what is essentially a chapter in the book

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th April 2017, 12:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Zombie Flesh Eaters

Seen it tons of times before, first via the cut 1992/3 Vipco VHS, then via the slightly less cut Stonevision UK DVD in the early 2000's, finally uncut a couple of years later with the Italian Shock DVD (as Zombi 2), and again fully uncut with the Mediablasters R1 25th Anniversary DVD. A few years back Blue Underground released it on Blu Ray, so I saw in HD for the first time and finally Arrow released a great 2 disc set 5 years ago (I won't mention the missing 6 seconds, or the piss about I had getting my copy)

Despite seeing it many times in various versions on various platforms, last nights viewing of the Arrow BD was ruined slightly.
The reason for this is because back in October (and again a couple of weeks back) a certain moderator called Demdike reviewed the film and pointed out all the glaring mistakes, mistakes I'd known about and seen previously, but now I found myself watching out for them and realising just how much they stand out

It's certainly not Fulci's best film, but it is definitely my favourite of his and the one I tend to watch the most, so thanks Dem for ruining it for me every time I watch it, most appreciated

*It is a bit shit really, but I ****ing love it

Note to self, I must watch Casablanca and TRY find some mistakes to pay Demdike back

Attachment 189457
Rik, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
with battle of 5 armies, you're not missing much
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Im not a big fan of the hobbit films, Give me Lord of the rings trilogy over hobbit trilogy ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Funny enough I've not watched Battle of the Five Armies myself despite owing the trilogy box set. I can't imagine how they've made an entire film from what is essentially a chapter in the book
I really like The Hobbit trilogy. While obviously not on par with the three TLOTR films, they’re still terrific entertainment. The Battle of the Five Armies is the weakest of all six, but I still really enjoyed it. It’s just one long battle sequence with set-piece after set-piece, but despite the lack of story, it still manages to be emotional and rousing, due to its solid execution in resolving everything that was set-up in the first two films.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 17th April 2017, 01:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The Two Towers doesn't require the lengthy introduction of characters and story that hampered the start of Fellowship. Nor does it suffer with the ridiculously overblown multiple endings tacked onto Return of the King. That said all three are fantastic films, unfortunately they require so much time I can get through two normal films in the time it takes to watch one of them and therefore inevitably never watch them. I like The Hobbit trilogy and have no problem with the fact a trilogy was made from what could have clearly been a single adaptation. I say clearly as I've not read The Hobbit but the rather slim copy I have doesn't suggest nine hours worth of cinematic adaptation was necessary. Even watching them they feel intentionally stretched out. But again I don't mind as they are still highly entertaining. Five Armies is the weakest purely because it really does go into cgi overload feeling as if George Lucas secretly directed it not Jackson. I still would have loved to have seen what Guillermo Del Toro would have done with these films.
Old 17th April 2017, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I still haven't seen any of the Hobbit films.

Do the extended versions add anything significant?

Basically if you were to buy them would you get the extended versions or the theatrical cuts?

I'm not fussed about extra discs and features as i won't watch them, just based purely on the films themselves.
keirarts and Frankenhooker like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!