Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2010, 09:39 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Inglorious BastArds earlier tonight again - luv that film.

Also watched Happy Birthday To Me for the first ever time! It was a lot of fun with some VERY inventive deaths, yet avoided becoming purely about the gore which was a nice change. The twist at the end though - wow! What a twist! I hear that the DVD version I saw had a completly different musical score, which is a shame - but for £2 I can't really complain TOO much.

Old 20th March 2010, 11:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched:

Creepshow 2 - a bit of fun but nothing special.

Staunton Hill - I was bloody surprised at how much I really liked this film. Bought it for 3 quid in HMV and it was worth every penny and even more. I really wasn't expecting much but it was actually a well directed, well acted and gory piece of film making. Some lovely camera work and well edited parts throughout. The gory death scenes were just great, really realistic. A great use of prosthetics and no sign of CGI anywhere which was brilliant (take note of your son's work George and learn something for your next film) Sorry was that too harsh? Love you George, honestly! Anyway, I'd recommend this film to any horror film fan and I'd suggest you keep an eye out for Cameron cos if he continues to make films as good as this then I'm happy to call myself a fan.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th March 2010, 11:10 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Just watched:

Creepshow 2 - a bit of fun but nothing special.

Staunton Hill - I was bloody surprised at how much I really liked this film. Bought it for 3 quid in HMV and it was worth every penny and even more. I really wasn't expecting much but it was actually a well directed, well acted and gory piece of film making. Some lovely camera work and well edited parts throughout. The gory death scenes were just great, really realistic. A great use of prosthetics and no sign of CGI anywhere which was brilliant (take note of your son's work George and learn something for your next film) Sorry was that too harsh? Love you George, honestly! Anyway, I'd recommend this film to any horror film fan and I'd suggest you keep an eye out for Cameron cos if he continues to make films as good as this then I'm happy to call myself a fan.

Really?!
Not heard anything else good about it, but you paint a convincing argument for giving this a try.

My only worry is that you also called "Creepshow 2" 'A bit of fun', instead of 'A load of shit".
Old 20th March 2010, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
'A load of shit".
Sounds about right to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Also watched Happy Birthday To Me for the first ever time! I hear that the DVD version I saw had a completly different musical score, which is a shame - but for £2 I can't really complain TOO much.
Yes it does. I kept the old RCA video for that reason (plus the superb cover). The excellent and atmospheric piano score is completely altered in the UK and early DVD releases. Haven't checked to confirm but apparently the US Anchor Bay DVD contains the original score.

This was the second 'X' certificate film I saw at the flicks back in 1981. Curiously it was doubled with Day Of The Animals.
Old 20th March 2010, 11:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Really?!
Not heard anything else good about it, but you paint a convincing argument for giving this a try.

My only worry is that you also called "Creepshow 2" 'A bit of fun', instead of 'A load of shit".
You're right it was a load of shit, hence not saying much about it. The bit of fun was only for The Hitchhiker part cos I couldn't stop giggling at the lady talking to herself in the car.

As for Staunton though, it really wasn't bad at all. Don't know why it got slated. I don't get what some people want from it. It's flawed yes but I'm not looking for a masterpiece, I'm looking for some gory enjoyment which is exactly what I received. Watch it but don't blame me if you don't like it, although I know we both really enjoyed Hush and that got slated too

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 21st March 2010, 01:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Arachnophobia

Nice to see this again. A decent Hollywood effort from the Spielberg factory (certainly better than pretty much anything Spielberg himself has directed since 1978!). Spider films are always fun and this is a well done, unpretentious addition to the genre. John Goodman makes me laugh.

The BBC seemed to braodcast this at a low bitrate for some reason though - lots of blocky artifacts, alas.
Old 21st March 2010, 02:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Arachnophobia

Nice to see this again. A decent Hollywood effort from the Spielberg factory (certainly better than pretty much anything Spielberg himself has directed since 1978!). Spider films are always fun and this is a well done, unpretentious addition to the genre. John Goodman makes me laugh.

The BBC seemed to braodcast this at a low bitrate for some reason though - lots of blocky artifacts, alas.
Its my fav Spider horror of all time.
I still dont own it though, am hopin they release a Bluray of it soon.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st March 2010, 02:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Footprints - I'll keep this short. Stunning. How come I've never seen this little gem before? .......and it's a Shameless release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Footprints.jpg (8.3 KB, 4 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 21st March 2010, 07:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched a pretty decent teen prison flick yesterday called Boot Camp with Mila Kunis and Peter Stormare, it was pretty cool. it's out on monday and worth checking out, plus you see a bit of Mila Kunis Side boobage (bonus)

this is not the UK dvd in the picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bootcampDVD.jpg (85.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st March 2010, 08:27 PM
Cult Rookie

Default re: What films have you seen recently?

just watched Train - a Hostel rip off...you guessed it - set on train. Not to bad with some decent gore and another good advertisement for eastern Europe.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!