Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2017, 05:11 PM
Cult Addict

I really like the Sorcerers.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th April 2017, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Sorcerers (1967)

The great Boris Karloff plays an elderly professor who developed techniques in hypnosis. Now retired he appears to have perfected a technique that allows him to control and feel the experiences of his subject. He and his wife (Catherine Lacey) decide to try the experiment out on Ian Ogilvy, a swinging young man seemingly bored by life's usual thrills.

What follows is a deadly game as the professor's wife becomes fixated with the experiences and murder ensues.

Part sci-fi, part slasher and part hedonistic 60's attitude on the lines of The Haunted House of Horror (1969). The Sorcerers is a film i have difficulty liking. Despite starring Karloff and Ogilvy, two actors i like, in Karloff's case, love, the film stumbles along in it's first half and fails to garner much interest. It feels like a kitchen sink drama with added swirling lights and loud noises made worse by Lacey who i found irritating. Director Michael Reeves gives the film that Grittish atmosphere that was so prevalent at the time yet it still fails to engage me. It's only in the second half when the couple have Ogilvy do more dangerous things culminating in murder and a thrilling car chase to the death that the film becomes more enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sorcerersposter2.jpg (81.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 24th April 2017, 06:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I see The Sorcerors as a definite progression from The She Beast ....

AAANYway ...

Slugs (1988, JP Simon)
Why we haven't seen more Hutson adaptations beggars me. The standard being set so high with this one.
People parrot their lines like acting has just been invented. Now usually this is no problem, tis probably the skimpy nature of the dialogue. Something you can't say about ....

The Stuff (1985, Larry Cohen)
Ostensibly a satire on consumerism, this still rattles along at a sturdy pace in exploito dynamics. Do like Cohen's work ( even The Ambulance ) as he always injects a dark humor into proceedings .....

Both UK vhs.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th April 2017, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I see The Sorcerors as a definite progression from The She Beast ....
I prefer The She Beast to be honest.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Slugs (1988, JP Simon)
Why we haven't seen more Hutson adaptations beggars me.
I've often wondered that. Maybe it's a Laymon thing where the murders are so graphically insane no one will dare go near them.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've often wondered that. Maybe it's a Laymon thing where the murders are so graphically insane no one will dare go near them.

Assassins is pretty graphic, one disgusting scene immediately springs to mind involving maggots
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th April 2017, 06:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Assassins is pretty graphic, one disgusting scene immediately springs to mind involving maggots
All the Hutson books i've read are graphic even none horror like White Ghost.

There's even a Hutson book - Lucy's Child in that pic i posted of the cupboard earlier.
Old 24th April 2017, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now I can talk about Top Dog.

I really got the feeling whilst watching this that this was originally just another Norris-kicks-creeps-into submission flick; and at some point the 'family friendly' element got tossed in the mix in an effort to pander to the trend at the time for action stars to play to mom & dad. Because the neo nazi villians ain't the "bungling" type . Tonally the thing continually performs 180s. Broad comedy next to a close up of a neck wound etc.
Somewhat misjudged methinks ....

Now watching his next atrocity Forest Warrior (1996, Aaron Zzzzzzzzz)
Chuck as a djinn.

Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th April 2017, 09:09 PM
Cult Addict

I totally disagree with your evaluation of the Sorcerers Dem, i really do love that film.
Karloff in modern day setting acting against type as the nice guy who only wants to do good things, with all his good intentions being subverted by his wife who just uses his invention to go all out for kicks.

I like the way she embodies the common person who given the choice of no consequence to their actions thinks screw it let's go crazy.
Karloff's character is shocked by her excesses and realises he has to stop the one he loves who has become a monster.

I think the film is unusual and has a real point to make and defies the usual mad scientist commonplace routine for something more down to earth and real.
Also there's Ogilvy, Susan George, a 60's club scene and trippy psychedelic inspired hypnosis scenes.

What more could you want???

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Damien Omen II. Seven years after the original Omen and Damien, now living with his uncle and aunt and cousin, is about to turn 13 - and about to learn his true identity and destiny, even as dark forces conspire to remove anyone who threatens that destiny coming to fruition. This 1978 horror sequel to the original Omen has always been a favourite of mine, I used to watch this endlessly as a kid - that explains a lot, doesn't it? - though I hadn't seen it for more than 20 years, so I was pleased to find it still stands up well with a great cast including William Holden, Lee Grant and Lance Henriksen, though its best asset is undoubtedly Jonathan Scott-Taylor, who is perfectly cast as the creepy Damien. Really enjoyed it!

Like this? Share it using the links below!