Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2017, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Eiger Sanction (1975)

The Eiger Sanction (1975)
Just think what the world would of been like if Clint Eastwood had been cast as the secret agent James Bond? Well I suppose the answer would of been something akin too his movie The Eiger Sanction,although there would of been a few difference's to say the least,instead of the comic book violence of say the Roger Moore years,there probably would of been more people get beaten to a pulp by Clint's mighty fists,and while the Bond series has always been adorned by sexy Bond ladies,we might of got full frontal nudity instead.The Eiger Sanction see's Clint as a retired government assassin who is blackmailed out of retirement to under take two more ""sanctions"(assassinations). After completing the first sanction and being double crossed by the agency called C2,he is forced to carry out the 2nd mission after finding out his ex army buddy was killed by his intended sanction.Only one problem is that no one knows who the hit is,apart from the fact that he has got a limp and is about too climb the North face of the Eiger,luckily Clint is also a mountaineer as well as an assassin so the chase is on.While the The Eiger Sanction is not really in the same league as some of the early Bond movies and certainly lacks the Brit coolness of say The Ipcress File (1965),it does make for an interesting foray into a slightly different genre from Clint's usual westerns and police thrillers,and does not seem completely miscast when compared to Firefox's ex Vietnam fighter pilot.Apart Mr Eastwood,there is a great range of eccentric characters from Thayer David as Dragon an ex Nazi now working for the Americans,George Kennedy as Ben Bowman Clint's mountaineer trainer and a very camp Jack Cassidy as Miles Mellough en ex army buddy who betrayed Clint.While the action is fairly sparse for the first halve of the movie the film steps up a gear once the mountain climbing starts,but although its not chock full of underwater cars or flying backpacks and volcanoes full of henchmen,it does have a sharp and at times witty script,and also Clint's character is not the flag waving American hero,this especially comes across when he explains the hypocrisy of the US government, "You think it's so awful the other side has a germ formula? It's against the Geneva Convention, isn't it, and they stole it from us. Well what the hell are we doing with it in the first place? We're not supposed to have one either." The Eiger Sanction was regularly shown on television during the 80's and the Blu Ray is a worthy upgrade from the dvd version,but probably for Clint completist's rather than Spy movie devotees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jNve8IEwk02Xbw4WFhflbuKnO7.jpg (97.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 29th April 2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Guardians of the Galaxy. Volume 2

excellent i loved every second, no real connections to the other marvel movies apart from the first Guardian film, this time one of the most important question of the last film is answered just who was Peters father and why could peter hold an infinity stone. very funny not laughed so hard in a long time, rocket is great and baby Groot is just to cute for words!

But the real star this time is Dave Bautista who is hilarious as Drax and has nearly all the best lines. none stop action , great sound track and as i said very funny. also watch for two special cameos and there is not one but five post credit scenes. only thing if you didn't like the first i really cant see the second changing your mind. 9/10

now watching the void, but as its quite late i might not finish.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

48 Hrs. (1982)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 28th April 2017, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

excellent i loved every second, no real connections to the other marvel movies apart from the first Guardian film, this time one of the most important question of the last film is answered just who was Peters father and why could peter hold an infinity stone. very funny not laughed so hard in a long time, rocket is great and baby Groot is just to cute for words!

But the real star this time is Dave Bautista who is hilarious as Drax and has nearly all the best lines. none stop action , great sound track and as i said very funny. also watch for two special cameos and there is not one but five post credit scenes. only thing if you didn't like the first i really cant see the second changing your mind. 9/10

now watching the void, but as its quite late i might not finish.

I saw it this afternoon with a little trepidation as I didn't love the first one but I had a great time with volume 2. I may have had a little bit of a tear forming at the end, maybe...
Some girls were screaming with laughter at one point but I can't remember what it was, definitely something Drax said though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Watcher (2014, Joe Hollow)

"Lucifer is my husband!" exclaims one of the characters in this. Good luck with that says I. Some gory piffle about "the last battle" betwixt good and evil. Awake at the back?
Fun to play spot the second tier/exploitation icon ...
Bound to turn up on THC

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th April 2017, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Watcher (2014, Joe Hollow)

"Lucifer is my husband!" exclaims one of the characters in this. Good luck with that says I. Some gory piffle about "the last battle" betwixt good and evil. Awake at the back?
Fun to play spot the second tier/exploitation icon ...
Bound to turn up on THC
Is this the one with Tony Todd on the cover?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Iron Maiden (1962)

From the producer director team of Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas comes this Carry On lite British comedy starring Michael Craig as a top aircraft designer whose passion for traction engines, notably The Iron Maiden, gets him in all sorts of trouble with his company and the wealthy American family over in England to do a deal on the new aircraft.

Think The Plane Makers (1963-65) crossed with Last of the Summer Wine with an added traction engine race that is actually rather damn exciting. The Iron Maiden is a warm, family film that could easily be classic comfort viewing with it's quaint English traditions of steam rally's and soon to be quintessential comedy scrapes from director Thomas. Featuring a cast of well known faces including Carry On regulars Joan Sims and Jim Dale alongside the brilliant Cecil Parker, Gilligan's Island fave Alan Hale jr and the lovely Anne Helm and you have a fine British comedy that's well worth your time.

Quality wise, the Network dvd looks and sounds fantastic in it's 1:66:1 glory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Victor_iron-maiden-movie-poster-1963.jpg (87.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 29th April 2017, 10:11 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Thanks for the review and glowing endorsement. I've booked tickets to go and watch it on Monday morning, hoping to watch the first one this weekend so it is fresh in my mind.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 29th April 2017, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is this the one with Tony Todd on the cover?
Aye. Aka Disciples. Fun when he (TT) turns up, Moseley's "scene" well, hmmm, that's exploitation!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 29th April 2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 29th April 2017, 03:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blood Widow (2014)

Laurie and Hugh () buy a run down cottage in the country as a weekend getaway. When they and some friends start to renovate it they discover the neighbouring property was the site of a slaughter and one survivor from that night still resides there - the Blood Widow.

As a film Blood Widow is really quite poor. It's characters are stereotypes with trite dialogue and the script borders on abysmal. The whole thing looks like a digital camcorder effort except it has a modern style to it that tries to make the viewer think it's better than that.

Whilst the first hour is bland it does improve somewhat with the introduction of the titular character who sports a distinctly eerie mask that has a whiff of BDSM about it and some nicely produced practical gore effects make the film seem slicker and more eventful than it actually is. Attempting to seduce the viewer into thinking it's some sort of relation to superior fayre like Laid to Rest rather than the cheap poorly written slasher knock off it undoubtedly is which wastes a very good inhuman monster.

The sound on the dvd is shocking. It's a stereo soundtrack that fades in and out mid sentence, the music is too loud and character voices are sent around the room and that really shouldn't happen. I ended up watching the film just using the tv mono sound and even that wasn't great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat-na-sat-nhan.jpg (102.9 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!