Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Doorway (2000)

A group of college students helping to renovate and clean an old house find it's actually one of the gates to hell.

From the brief summary above i'm sure you'll think Fulci to yourselves, because that's what i did as i was watching The Doorway. The house is Fulci-esq - think The House by the Cemetery - and some of the ideas, imagery and even gore will have you thinking Fulci as well. Referencing others such as The Beyond, Aenigma and even Sweet House of Horrors, and even non-Fulci fayre like Night of the Demons (1988)

There's not a lot you haven't seen before in The Doorway, except maybe having a reasonable sized appearance from Roy Scheider. The film is nicely paced and full of the requisite nudity and blood and guts you'd hope from a film like this.

I bought this for the price of postage purely because it sounded okay and i'm happy to report that it is indeed pretty good. Not brilliant, but entertaining and well worth a watch for those who want some sexy demonic fun and games.
Sold then, off to Aberdeen for the weekend, so I'm might find it there...I'l find something for sure

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Godzilla Raids Again.

A rushed sequel to the popular Godzilla, while pilots Shoichi Tsukioka and Koji Kobayashi are hunting for schools of fish Kobayashi plane devlopes a fault and he lands at a near by island Scoichi heaads there to help him, while on they island they discover two giant monsters, one another Godzilla ( as the first one was destroyed in the first movie by the oxygen destroyer)and another called Anguirus

The miltary try to come up with a plan to destroy them but as the scientist who invented the oxygen destroy sacrificed himself in the first film they only thing they can come up with is light bombs which would draw Godzilla away from the town of Osaka which he is approaching, things are going well until a group of escaped prisoners end up destroying a oil refinery, this sends Godzilla back to the city, matters get worse when Anguirus turns up and they battle nearly destroying the city! Godzilla wins and leaves.

Some time latter a ship is destroyed and shoichi sets out to find it, finding the Beastie Koji joins his friend , Koji is killed why distracting Godzilla but his sacrifice is not in vain as its starts as small avalanche and this gives the miltray the idea to start a larger one, the succeed and Godzilla is buried under tonnes of ice.

More action packed than the first but lacking the moral question of the first. Still more serious than the later films. 7/10

Next up Rodan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download-6.jpg (17.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th May 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 3rd May 2017, 07:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The Doorway (2000)

A group of college students helping to renovate and clean an old house find it's actually one of the gates to hell.

From the brief summary above i'm sure you'll think Fulci to yourselves, because that's what i did as i was watching The Doorway. The house is Fulci-esq - think The House by the Cemetery - and some of the ideas, imagery and even gore will have you thinking Fulci as well. Referencing others such as The Beyond, Aenigma and even Sweet House of Horrors, and even non-Fulci fayre like Night of the Demons (1988)

There's not a lot you haven't seen before in The Doorway, except maybe having a reasonable sized appearance from Roy Scheider. The film is nicely paced and full of the requisite nudity and blood and guts you'd hope from a film like this.

I bought this for the price of postage purely because it sounded okay and i'm happy to report that it is indeed pretty good. Not brilliant, but entertaining and well worth a watch for those who want some sexy demonic fun and games.
One of the only films i've ever thrown away. So cheap that i didn't even consider inflicting it on a charity shop.
Old 3rd May 2017, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
One of the only films i've ever thrown away. So cheap that i didn't even consider inflicting it on a charity shop.
As i say i wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't recommend anyone pay any more than a pound for it.
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-2-Poster.jpg

This was just what I needed. I have a lot of bad stuff going on at the moment so this was a very welcome escape.
I had managed to avoid any spoilers and movie clips before hand so everything was fresh.
it was great seeing these guys together again. I loved it.
The appearance of the original comic Guardians Of The Galaxy was just awesome.
I feel so much better now.
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

The Magnificent 7

Not too bad a remake but it lacks the coolness and heroism of the original.
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:07 PM
Cult Addict

Shark Exorcist.

f****** hell.

When you see a shark film these days the basic assumption is the film is going to be a deliberately constructed 'bad film' that's designed to appeal to the 'so bad its good' crowd while showing at least a level of technical proficiency that means the film-makes stand half a chance of working again.
Sometimes you come across films like ghost shark where the money wasn't there and the film suffers more as a result. Very rarely however, does one come across a film so inept that you realise the basic fundamentals of film-making have not only escaped the makers, but were probably never there to begin with.
The plot, as best i can understand it, involves some kind of satanic nun who has summoned the devil in the form of a glowing eyed shark. Various hot women get bit and become sharks... at least I think that's what happens. Characters wander out of frame and disappear entirely from the scene only appearing later. It then occurs to me some point later in the evening that they may have transformed into a shark. Its just that the makers of this garbage fire could not afford or be bothered or have the talent to put this across to the audience. Characters move about in scenes as if they have developed the ability to teleport around the scene at will. Phantom cameramen film things then disappear and the same awful CG shark footage is recycled. One character that only appears in a dream sequence for most of the film reappears in an end credits sequence fondling toy sharks and leering at the camera. At one point I was convinced she was going to use a plastic shark as a dildo. Sadly it wasn't meant to be.
The whole affair has a car crash appeal to it. Its like someone gave Ed woods mentally handicapped cousin a camera and a bunch of models and said 'have at it.'
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Shark Exorcist.

f****** hell.

When you see a shark film these days the basic assumption is the film is going to be a deliberately constructed 'bad film' that's designed to appeal to the 'so bad its good' crowd while showing at least a level of technical proficiency that means the film-makes stand half a chance of working again.
Sometimes you come across films like ghost shark where the money wasn't there and the film suffers more as a result. Very rarely however, does one come across a film so inept that you realise the basic fundamentals of film-making have not only escaped the makers, but were probably never there to begin with.
The plot, as best i can understand it, involves some kind of satanic nun who has summoned the devil in the form of a glowing eyed shark. Various hot women get bit and become sharks... at least I think that's what happens. Characters wander out of frame and disappear entirely from the scene only appearing later. It then occurs to me some point later in the evening that they may have transformed into a shark. Its just that the makers of this garbage fire could not afford or be bothered or have the talent to put this across to the audience. Characters move about in scenes as if they have developed the ability to teleport around the scene at will. Phantom cameramen film things then disappear and the same awful CG shark footage is recycled. One character that only appears in a dream sequence for most of the film reappears in an end credits sequence fondling toy sharks and leering at the camera. At one point I was convinced she was going to use a plastic shark as a dildo. Sadly it wasn't meant to be.
The whole affair has a car crash appeal to it. Its like someone gave Ed woods mentally handicapped cousin a camera and a bunch of models and said 'have at it.'
Someone with some sense of normality please tell me why i now want to see this film.
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Someone with some sense of normality please tell me why i now want to see this film.

You're not alone, I wanted to watch it after reading his post on Facebook about it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

The Neon Demon

large_pksGBk7yJqSuQ2F47S9eoqbtjWt.jpg

Following a young girl as she tries to make it in the modelling world, she lies about her age to get ahead and is plunged into a superficial, soul destroying world were everybody is out for themselves and walk over each other to get to the top.
The photographers praise her looks which seems to make her more confident, while the models she meets just seem to bitch and moan at her in jealousy. The only one who seems to care is a make up artist, but does she have her own motives for this.

This seems to divide viewers, a lot seem to say it has no story and doesn't amount to much, others praise the style,music and subtext.

Personally i'm in the middle on this one,I did enjoy it but wouldn't say it shook my world. The story is slight but it is stylish and interesting and the music was good, i thought the performances were decent, there was some unexpected moments(necrophilia anyone) and a few tit shots.

All in all it's worth watching but for me wasn't particularly satisfying, I will watch it again sometime and i will be interested in seeing if i enjoy it more second time around.

7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!