Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2017, 11:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched Liquid Sky (1982, Slava Tsukerman)

Stuck this on after posting that picture. What a film. Pretentious is not a word I use a lot (how could I?? ) but seriously I either never noticed it before or whatever, but this was made by a Russian in New Yoik in the early 80s, a time when shall we say the place was awash with 16mm maniacs

Margaret is a model. Adrian is a singer (). Paul is, well, Paul is a junkie, as most of them are tbh. So when a tiny alien ship lands onto their roof, shit gets weird as they say.
Look, I sat through Begotten and Melancholie Der Engel in the same night, so you can say my tolerance for overarching concepts is somewhat higher that most, yes?
Still.....
Probably a brilliant satire of the club scene of the time (outsider viewpoint and all that)...it's just that they are all such vacuous cnuts, so I cared less whether they survive.....).
Violence, sex, drugs, the worst Grace Jones impersonation to sear my ears and eyes (fae the wee quine from Alice Sweet Alice ....sweet young thing aint sweet no more etc)
Ahem.
Recommended.
Nice verbals, as ever. Brilliant film, one of my all time faves, sadly still only available in shabby editions that tend to cost ££ if at all. You'd have thought Arrow or Criterion would've had a stab at it by now.
Old 4th May 2017, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Nice verbals, as ever. Brilliant film, one of my all time faves, sadly still only available in shabby editions that tend to cost ££ if at all. You'd have thought Arrow or Criterion would've had a stab at it by now.
Ideal for the Slashers Collection then

Thank you Frankie. I still intend to "do" one in Doric. With subtitles
It'l be a "big hitter" but purely done in my native dialect.

LS is a strange experience...like watching something you love drown...a mix of regret and morbid fascination....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2017, 11:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Up The Creek (1984, Robert Butler)

This is the last of the vhs that mate lumped me with during the Norris binge.
2 cast members a piece fae Animal House & Porkies? Check! Terrible 80s "rawk" theme tune? Check! Blithe disregard for AIDS? CHECK! Matheson clearly 5 years too old in AH, is literally middleaged in this. Magnum's snooty nemesis is the Dean, he hates our "lovable" quartet so much he wants them to die during a raft race in order to save the beleaguered Lepetomaine University reputation. Yes, I said raft race. This is where it dies on the vine. As the opening slavo of sub King Frat meanspiritedness dissipates into romantic slush and triumph over adverzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WAKE UP!!!!
Better than Back To School (?)
Wait a minute and theyll remake it with Zac Efron

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2017, 11:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ideal for the Slashers Collection then

Thank you Frankie. I still intend to "do" one in Doric. With subtitles
It'l be a "big hitter" but purely done in my native dialect.

LS is a strange experience...like watching something you love drown...a mix of regret and morbid fascination....
"Me and my rhythm boooooxxx..."... wow, that lady was irritating. But kind of alluring. Film sends out similar waves of grating attraction, for me. Plus, no-one would have the bollocks to do anything like it now - half ultra mannered New Romantic stude posturing, half dumb ass sci fi slop. No-one really talks about it, which is a shame.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
"Me and my rhythm boooooxxx..."... wow, that lady was irritating. But kind of alluring. Film sends out similar waves of grating attraction, for me. Plus, no-one would have the bollocks to do anything like it now - half ultra mannered New Romantic stude posturing, half dumb ass sci fi slop. No-one really talks about it, which is a shame.
True, so lets....
Because she was in my favourite evil kid film, when I spotted her name on the box, I just had to see this. My callow self was fairly nonplussed, but I've grown to love it. Like The Brother From Another Planet (or it's bastard stepkid Gay Niggers From Outer Space ), you just don't have the room now for this. But it's so arch it hurts, as they all crane their necks in order to spout dialogue that makes dubbing seem attractive. Speckled with a nasty undertone of misogyny that is paradoxically exciting in this day and age. Almost roughie in style is Margaret's "date" with the actor.

[B]
Old 5th May 2017, 02:16 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you enjoyed I Drink Your Blood, Rik.

It's been a fave of mine for a number of years now and one I like to keep on regular rotation.
Same here, i had the VH/S from a dodgy boot sale at one point, i 'd rate it probably 9/10 for sheer living up to grindhouse expectations, one of my favourite B movies along with Spider baby and Deranged.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th May 2017, 02:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I'm kind of the Same with these kind of films, same with i drink your blood, deranged and spider baby/ beyond the valley of the dolls etc.. cult films that will never be made again.such a shame.

They are so much of the time and that is what makes them essential, Liquid Sky, ahem. i remember finding the soundtrack really grating but it's so unique that you just kind of give yourself over to it and say take me where you want to, like when you've had a skinful of beer and just don't give a shit if you wake up in the gutter the next morning.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th May 2017, 07:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Working my way through Arrow's Phantasm extras! Wow! Strangest and funniest thing so far is the Australian tv promo, check it out, it will make you smile!
Old 5th May 2017, 12:22 PM
Cult Addict

Critters.
I haven't seen this since my age was in single digits.
the story is as follows: aliens known as Crites have escaped from an asteroid prison, the warden hires 2 bounty hunters to find and kill them. the Crites arrive on earth and proceed to kill and eat and proceed to attack a family.
the critters are cute little monsters, the acting is fine (but who cares) and also an early role from bily zane, who gets killed off early in the film.
7/10 a great watch.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Critters was a favourite movie of mine one of the good comedy horrors of the 80s. They kinda went downhill after 3rd one and was there a need for a 4th?

Like this? Share it using the links below!