Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179484Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2017, 03:14 PM
Ex-member

Running On Empty(1988) Ma(Christine Lahti) and Pa Pope (Judd Hirsch) are fugitives seemingly on never ending on the run from the FEDS due to their antiwar activities back in the 60's. Like nomads/gypsies they move from place to place never laying down roots. Couple have two sons one played by River Phoenix who is growing up very quickly a man so he longs to have a more stable life by being on his own but by doing risks separation from his family forever. All I can say is WOW this is a extremely powerful movie in every way(some may even be able to relate to a some or lot of this) and everyone here behind the camera and on screen. They really are so convincing(the cast) I could completely believe them to be a real family. Definitively near a 10/10.
Old 13th May 2017, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Doghouse 2009

A bunch of friends lead by Neil (Danny Dyer) decide to go to the country after Vince (Stephen Gtaham) is separated from his wife and to show him that not all women are bad. When the get to their destination a small village of Moodley all the woman have been turned into zombies.

This film has comedy horror and plenty of gore well worth a watch 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image04.jpg (95.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 13th May 2017, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Submarine

Rather fine, bitter sweet coming of age romantic comedy with a twisted edge. Great performances and direction. Would make a good double bill with Gregory's Girl.
Old 13th May 2017, 09:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Submarine

Rather fine, bitter sweet coming of age romantic comedy with a twisted edge. Great performances and direction. Would make a good double bill with Gregory's Girl.
It's been a long time since I saw Submarine and absolutely loved it when I did. I didn't really know what to expect from a film directed by Richard Ayoade, who I knew from his appearances in The Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and particularly The IT Crowd. I was also really impressed by Ayoade's other feature film as director, The Double. Have you seen it?
Old 13th May 2017, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's been a long time since I saw Submarine and absolutely loved it when I did. I didn't really know what to expect from a film directed by Richard Ayoade, who I knew from his appearances in The Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and particularly The IT Crowd. I was also really impressed by Ayoade's other feature film as director, The Double. Have you seen it?
I haven't but will look out for it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th May 2017, 10:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I haven't but will look out for it.
It's based on a novella by Dostoevsky, something I haven't read yet that keep meaning to, and features a brilliant central performance from Jesse Eisenberg.

Old 13th May 2017, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sherlock Holmes in New York (1976)

Holmes pursues his arch-enemy Moriarty to New York, where the villainous scoundrel has carried out the ultimate bank robbery. Throw in Irene Adler and you've got yourself a Holmes greatest hits movie.

John Huston is a decent Moriarty, Patrick Macnee channels his inner Nigel Bruce as a bumbling Watson and Charlotte Rampling smoulders as Adler. As for Roger Moore? - Well he's Roger Moore playing Sherlock Holmes playing Roger Moore.

Look out for Holmes and Moriarty trading insults, it'll make your eyes roll. All told Sherlock Holmes in New York is a fun film, but Holmes purists need not apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sherlock17_2773988k.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th May 2017, 10:47 PM
Ex-member

The Glass House(TV movie from '72) Realistic account of a college professor(Alan Alda) who is convicted of manslaughter and shipped off to state prison. Follows his first day and onward there as well as first day guard(Clu Gulager)The late Vic Morrow is the thorn in Alda's side. Many other faces you all will definitely recognize. Brilliant work from all even if a lot of it is covers a lot familiar territory with jail/prison movies. Didn't see that ending coming though. 8/10
Old 13th May 2017, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fist Fight (2017)

**1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th May 2017, 12:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
The Glass House(TV movie from '72) Realistic account of a college professor(Alan Alda) who is convicted of manslaughter and shipped off to state prison. Follows his first day and onward there as well as first day guard(Clu Gulager)The late Vic Morrow is the thorn in Alda's side. Many other faces you all will definitely recognize. Brilliant work from all even if a lot of it is covers a lot familiar territory with jail/prison movies. Didn't see that ending coming though. 8/10
Been a while since I've seen this,I'm pretty sure I've got .
A good film from what I remember , always remember ending for some reason where there all chasing him and I think he jump into one of the guard rooms . and trying to fight them of .
Very good and well made film, love old prison films like this
LaughingWindows likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!