Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2017, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Exposé aka Trauma aka house on straw hill.

I done a thread on this in what you have bought recently and would do a review on it well here goes.

This was listed as a video nasty it's a tale of a writer who suffers paranoia rents a house in England with a secretary.

This is a tale of paranoia with sexual fantasy and perverse and nudity mixed with revenge. What you see in the trailer is in the movie. 7-8 out of 10.
With reviews like that can safely say Mark kermode , James king , and Jonathan Ross jobs are pretty safe .....
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
With reviews like that can safely say Mark kermode , James king , and Jonathan Ross jobs are pretty safe .....
Yeah but how many films have they rated badly but you found enjoyable?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I haven't seen the film in question but personally I'd much rather read McBarlow telling me what he thought of a film than Mark Commode telling me what i should think of it.
Rik, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 17th May 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Yeah but how many films have they rated badly but you found enjoyable?
It was really a reference of he didn't really give a review , or what he thought of the films ,more of a quick brief of the storyline .
Old 17th May 2017, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
It was really a reference of he didn't really give a review , or what he thought of the films ,more of a quick brief of the storyline .
To be honest the film was interesting Udo Kier's performance was good although his voice was dubbed,. I wouldn't say this film was a, horror as people have said it would be but more psychological thriller type of movie
gag likes this.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I haven't seen the film in question but personally I'd much rather read McBarlow telling me what he thought of a film than Mark Commode telling me i should think of it.
Thank you very much Mr Harker.
Old 17th May 2017, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Horror Express (1973)

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are rightly lauded for their work in Hammer productions but other films show off their camaraderie just as well and Horror Express, directed by Spaniard Eugenio Martin is one such case in point. In fact camaraderie is a good word to use when describing their relationship in this film. Two anthropological doctors, familiar to each other through their work allowing for a healthy rivalry as the two bicker like man and wife. Their introductory scene is a hoot. Cushing's Dr. Wells walks into the railway station offices with his assistant Miss Jones and discovers Lee's Professor Saxton already there. This introduction sums the pair up for the rest of the film and is played out with delicious comic timing.

Dr. Wells: Miss Jones, allow me to introduce Professor Alexander Saxton. He dabbles in fossils and bones.
Miss Jones: Glad to meet you, Professor.
Professor Saxton: How do you do?
Dr. Wells: Miss Jones has been assisting me. Bacteriology, excellent technician.
Miss Jones: [laughs] For a woman, he means.

Much of the dialogue has a comic quality. Biting rather than silly. As well as the classic scene where Saxton and Wells are quizzed -

Inspector Mirov: The two of you together. That's fine. But what if one of you is the monster?
Dr. Wells: Monster? We're British, you know.

There are many laugh out loud moments, my favourite being this short scene where Wells gets up from his meal -

Dr. Wells: Miss Jones, I shall need your assistance.
Miss Jones: Yes, well at your age I'm not surprised.
Dr. Wells: With an autopsy!
Miss Jones: Oh, well that's different.

The look on Cushing's face is priceless.

Despite the humour involved Horror Express could never be described as a black comedy in the way, say, The Abominable Dr. Phibes can for example.

The story is a fairly simple one. Lee's Saxton is traveling back to Europe on the Trans-Siberian Express with the remains of a primitive humanoid creature that he discovered in a cave in Manchuria. Naturally the creature doesn't stay dead for long and embarks on a rampage of murder.

The script then takes us out of the realm of horror and into science fiction as it transpires the creature is an alien intelligence that is attempting to get home. It can hop from being to being and gains knowledge by wiping the brains of victims and absorbing their knowledge. It does this is a horrific way. Boiling it's victims eyes until they turn white and bleed profusely. These scenes are suitably grim as is an autopsy that Cushing performs on Helga Line. Adding to the sci-fi is the fact the creatures victims still have an image left in their boiled eyeballs. One is the earth from space which is a clever idea further suggesting the being is in fact alien.

The film also boasts another couple of memorable turns. Alberto de Mendoza as Father Pujardov, a priest whose religious conviction is as sinister as you'll see and Telly Savalas as Captain Kazan, the leader of a band of Cossack soldiers who board the train late on. Savalas is on the verge of overacting throughout his elongated cameo but his fate, as the being reactivates the bodies of those murdered in a scene of zombie apocalyptic mayhem, is gloriously OTT.

Director Martin keeps things tight and pacy. The film looks terrific with excellent production design (I even like the model work of the train which comes in for flack from some people) and some innovative camera work as well as a striking score that's extremely eerie and memorable at the same time.

I expect many of you to have seen Horror Express at some time. However if you haven't i advise you to check it out sooner rather than later because you'll be guaranteed a cracking good slice of Gothic shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horror-express-poster1.jpg (91.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th May 2017, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

a giant egg washes up on the shores of Japan which a ruthless business man obtains for himself, not that long after the egg was discovered godzilla awakens from were he was defeated by King Kong in the last movie, unable to stop Godzilla the help of Motra is sort. Queue men fighting in rubber suits and lots models being trampled and shit exploding .

this was really the start of the various beauties fighting another. 7.5/10

now watching, which is actually my first viewing.

after that either the devils wedding night or Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
Old 17th May 2017, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Horror Express (1973)

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are rightly lauded for their work in Hammer productions but other films show off their camaraderie just as well and Horror Express, directed by Spaniard Eugenio Martin is one such case in point. In fact camaraderie is a good word to use when describing their relationship in this film. Two anthropological doctors, familiar to each other through their work allowing for a healthy rivalry as the two bicker like man and wife. Their introductory scene is a hoot. Cushing's Dr. Wells walks into the railway station offices with his assistant Miss Jones and discovers Lee's Professor Saxton already there. This introduction sums the pair up for the rest of the film and is played out with delicious comic timing.

Dr. Wells: Miss Jones, allow me to introduce Professor Alexander Saxton. He dabbles in fossils and bones.
Dr. Wells: Miss Jones has been assisting me. Bacteriology, excellent technician.

Much of the dialogue has a comic quality. Biting rather than silly. As well as the classic scene where Saxton and Wells are quizzed -

Inspector Mirov: The two of you together. That's fine. But what if one of you is the monster?

There are many laugh out loud moments, my favourite being this short scene where Wells gets up from his meal -

Despite the humour involved Horror Express could never be described as a black comedy in the way, say, The Abominable Dr. Phibes can for example.

The story is a fairly simple one. Lee's Saxton is traveling back to Europe on the Trans-Siberian Express with the remains of a primitive humanoid creature that he discovered in a cave in Manchuria. Naturally the creature doesn't stay dead for long and embarks on a rampage of murder.

The script then takes us out of the realm of horror and into science fiction as it transpires the creature is an alien intelligence that is attempting to get home. It can hop from being to being and gains knowledge by wiping the brains of victims and absorbing their knowledge. It does this is a horrific way. Boiling it's victims eyes until they turn white and bleed profusely. These scenes are suitably grim as is an autopsy that Cushing performs on Helga Line. Adding to the sci-fi is the fact the creatures victims still have an image left in their boiled eyeballs. One is the earth from space which is a clever idea further suggesting the being is in fact alien.

The film also boasts another couple of memorable turns. Alberto de Mendoza as Father Pujardov, a priest whose religious conviction is as sinister as you'll see and Telly Savalas as Captain Kazan, the leader of a band of Cossack soldiers who board the train late on. Savalas is on the verge of overacting throughout his elongated cameo but his fate, as the being reactivates the bodies of those murdered in a scene of zombie apocalyptic mayhem, is gloriously OTT.

Director Martin keeps things tight and pacy. The film looks terrific with excellent production design (I even like the model work of the train which comes in for flack from some people) and some innovative camera work as well as a striking score that's extremely eerie and memorable at the same time.

I expect many of you to have seen Horror Express at some time. However if you haven't i advise you to check it out sooner rather than later because you'll be guaranteed a cracking good slice of Gothic shocks.
What version do you have Dem?
Old 17th May 2017, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Horror Express (1973)

think i've said this before this is the film, that started my love for horror.

Like this? Share it using the links below!