All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179484Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2017, 02:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Easy Riders Raging Bulls (2003)

William H Macy narrated documentary which charts the highs and lows of the late 60's / 70's film makers working outside of the Hollywood studio system culminating in one of the most searing and phenomenal periods in film history.

Interviewees include Dennis Hopper, John Milius, Peter Fonda, Karen Black, Peter Bogdanovich, Cybill Shepherd, Paul Schrader and more.

Rather than saying how much i liked this documentary based on Peter Biskind's book i'll just say how much it made me want to watch the films discussed such as Easy Rider (one of my top 10 all time films), Midnight Cowboy, Taxi Driver, The Wild Bunch, Jaws.

Whilst much of it was extremely cool for want of a better word, there was one heart breaking moment of archive footage as Roman Polanski faced the camera's following the murder of Sharon Tate, also when interviewed about the same thing you could see the anger in Peter Fonda's eyes.

Riveting viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 603415331_1280x720.jpg (27.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th May 2017, 02:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Five To One (1963, Gordon Flemyng)
Another of the Edgar Wallace set. Featuring John Thaw, Lee Montague, Julian Holloway and Edina Ronay, I can't imagine why this film isn't better known, decent wee programmer. PLUG!! Recommended!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th May 2017, 04:37 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Easy Riders Raging Bulls (2003)
I think I have this on my Easy Rider Special Edition DVD, will have to revisit as I never watched it. I have read the book and loved all the tales of excess and personality clashes etc, is there anything in the film that's not in the book, if you can remember.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th May 2017, 05:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I think I have this on my Easy Rider Special Edition DVD, will have to revisit as I never watched it. I have read the book and loved all the tales of excess and personality clashes etc, is there anything in the film that's not in the book, if you can remember.
If you have the yellow special edition with art cards and BFI Modern Classic book then you will, otherwise it's the 65 min doc that accompanies the film on all releases. That's a quality docu as well i might add.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:38 PM
Cultist

I've just checked DVD Profiler and that (Yellow cover) looks to be the one I've got, nice one!(I put all my cases in boxes in the loft and then the discs in wallets so I need DVDProfiler to keep track of what I got...)
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return To Sender (1963, Gordon Hales)

Another Merton Park Wallace-r. Another great cast (William Russell!! Yvonne Romain! Nigel Davenport....) gives their all, even if Chesterton is a bit bland here ahem. Worship of Mammon is at the heart of this tale, and as always there's a squabble at the end about whom shall pay the bill......
I digress. Blackmail b feature from workmanlike studio. Recommended.

House Of Mystery (1961, Vernon Sewell)

Independent Artists film from genre stalwart Sewell, tis an effective if formulaic wee chiller about the history of Orchid Cottage. Ably played by all, this does sort of sputter towards the end, due to the structure I felt....Recommended nonetheless!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 22nd May 2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:45 PM
Cult Addict

The Void

Fun mash up of Carpenter, Fulci and other 80s favourites. Certainly worth seeing but certainly not worth the hype.
Old 20th May 2017, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

La La Land (2016)

After 20 minutes and a big critically acclaimed dance number on an LA freeway bridge i could quite easily have turned this much hyped film off.

However it seems the film makers felt as i did that the big song and dance numbers sucked and couldn't compete with the Hollywood musicals of yesteryear so completely changed tack the moment Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling meet and give us a great big Jazz influenced masterpiece.

Brilliantly photographed and gorgeously lit, i make no apologies when i say it made me want to go back to Los Angeles. LA LA Land clawed it's way out of an amateurish abyss to become a bright smiley time waster. I liked it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 20th May 2017, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
La La Land (2016)

After 20 minutes and a big critically acclaimed dance number on an LA freeway bridge i could quite easily have turned this much hyped film off.

However it seems the film makers felt as i did that the big song and dance numbers sucked and couldn't compete with the Hollywood musicals of yesteryear so completely changed tack the moment Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling meet and give us a great big Jazz influenced masterpiece.

Brilliantly photographed and gorgeously lit, i make no apologies when i say it made me want to go back to Los Angeles. LA LA Land clawed it's way out of an amateurish abyss to become a bright smiley time waster. I liked it!
I liked it too but I can't help but think that the hype wasn't quite warranted. It has some excellent scenes though, such as the one they used for the poster/dvd cover and the audition.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th May 2017, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I liked it too but I can't help but think that the hype wasn't quite warranted. It has some excellent scenes though, such as the one they used for the poster/dvd cover and the audition.
That audition number made me think of the recent horror Starry Eyes.

Next time i watch LA LA Land i think i'll do it back to back with The Neon Demon as they are essentially the same film.

I'm pleased i bought it and am happy for it to be in my collection.

Like this? Share it using the links below!