Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 12th October 2012 08:49 PM

Cheers mate. It was actually wednesday, but currently working away from home in the week, so gifting postponed till this evening . . .

Gojirosan 12th October 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 281272)
Still better than Alien Resurrection. :lol:

Nope, I don't agree. I didn't like Alien: Resurrection but it was far more fun than Prometheus.

I also think AvP was better than Prometheus.

The only thing stopping Prometheus being the worst film so far is AvP:Requiem.

James Morton 12th October 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 281297)
Nope, I don't agree. I didn't like Alien: Resurrection but it was far more fun than Prometheus.

haven't seen PROMETHEUS yet but i do think ALIEN RESSURECTION is better than AVP - that was total crap
AVP-REQUIEM should never of been made, then again AVP...

Invid Ninja 12th October 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. On the other hand, I did get around to watching the odd film at the local cinema since moving to uni.

Killing Them Softly - My first exposure to Andrew Dominik's films, essentially a mixture of Kill List's nihilism and not so subtle digs at American economical decline; held up by solid performances by a great cast. Not quite five star material but certainly solid off-kilter fare.

Next up I'm probably going to see the British remake of Pusher; had some good buzz so it could be worth a punt.

SharonLynette 12th October 2012 11:11 PM

A mixed bag of films watched in the last 28 hours.

Quicksilver Highway (1997)
The Hand (1960)
Horrible Bosses (2011)
Leprechaun (1993)
Bad Dreams (1988)

About to watch the following before bed.
Eric's Revenge (1989)
Night of the Lepus (1972) <--- I'm hoping to dream about bunny rabbits.

James Morton 12th October 2012 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=SharonLynette; I'm hoping to dream about bunny rabbits.[/QUOTE]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh;)

keirarts 12th October 2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Can't agree avp was better than prometheus, from a purely technical standpoint prometheus is a better film. AVP was dull and stupid, while prometheus had much more galaxy of terror quality about it. Far from perfect it was at least interesting for more than 15 minutes which is 15 minutes longer than avp.

As for ressurection, well XTRO was better than that pile of garbage :lol:

James Morton 12th October 2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281338)
Can't agree avp was better than prometheus, from a purely technical standpoint prometheus is a better film. AVP was dull and stupid, while prometheus had much more galaxy of terror quality about it. Far from perfect it was at least interesting for more than 15 minutes which is 15 minutes longer than avp.

XTRO IS AN UNDERRATED BRIT HORROR:)

keirarts 12th October 2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 281339)
XTRO IS AN UNDERRATED BRIT HORROR:)

Certainly better than alien ressurection! :lol:

Seriously though I always found xtro to be somewhat hit and miss, but good enough i've seen it a few times.

Rik 13th October 2012 12:01 AM

I enjoyed Prometheus and I like Alien Resurrection & AvP, each to their own I suppose.

Watched Paradise Lost earlier tonight, just about worth the £2 I paid for it I suppose, but nothing really worthy of repeated viewings.
Got Countess Dracula on now to restore the Universe back to normal

James Morton 13th October 2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281340)
Certainly better than alien ressurection! :lol:

Seriously though I always found xtro to be somewhat hit and miss, but good enough i've seen it a few times.

according to dvdcompare.net they assume the ending is the happy one - wrong
thats the alternative one on my R1 image dvd
i did have the German dvd on Marketing label - full screen and i'm sure i saw more of Maryam D'Abo's pubes!
that dvd has some German without Eng subs

XTRO was a film i saw on the Spectrum? label years ago on video and i saw the film many times, for a while it was my fave film!

the director Harry Bromley Davenport has stated that there were scenes e.g. the soldiiers coming to life and the panther in the hallway.
Robert Shaye was the head of the company that co-produced the film and wanted ott scenes inserted

but overall the film was a brilliant low budget horror
its funny Davenport keeps saying 'The dreaded Xtro' - esp as he made the completely shite sequels.....

Andra Jai 13th October 2012 06:07 AM

Just watched Expendables 2 which I thought could have been a lot better

followed by blu-ray versions of

Romper Stomper
Cyborg
Double Impact

all of which were pretty good.

keirarts 13th October 2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 281345)
according to dvdcompare.net they assume the ending is the happy one - wrong
thats the alternative one on my R1 image dvd
i did have the German dvd on Marketing label - full screen and i'm sure i saw more of Maryam D'Abo's pubes!
that dvd has some German without Eng subs

XTRO was a film i saw on the Spectrum? label years ago on video and i saw the film many times, for a while it was my fave film!

the director Harry Bromley Davenport has stated that there were scenes e.g. the soldiiers coming to life and the panther in the hallway.
Robert Shaye was the head of the company that co-produced the film and wanted ott scenes inserted

but overall the film was a brilliant low budget horror
its funny Davenport keeps saying 'The dreaded Xtro' - esp as he made the completely shite sequels.....

I actually didnt mind the sequels, as bad as they were they had cheesy appeal to me! :lol:

Gojirosan 13th October 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281338)

That was kind of my point about Prometheus: it fails (and hard) despite its technical brilliance.

AvP was an unpretentious (and utterly under-rated in my book) bit of a romp and quite enjoyable throughout (and I expected to hate it - I have now seen it at least three times). Prometheus was a deathly pretentious borefest throughout. Technical superiority of Prometheus or not, AvP is the better film for me. I'll almost certainly watch AvP again at some point - it may be on telly and it will drag me in, I never want to see Prometheus again, if it was on telly, I'd turn over/off.

Hawkmonger 13th October 2012 11:15 AM

Sigh. Here's how I see it.

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
AvP
Alien Ressurection
AvPR

Xtro.......well, everyone should know by now I adore this film. Shout! Factory should release it on BD.:nod:

KPWNINJA 13th October 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 281389)

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
AvP
Alien Ressurection
AvPR

Xtro.......well, everyone should know by now I adore this film. Shout! Factory should release it on BD.:nod:

For me the list goes:

Xtro :lol:
Alien
Predator
Aliens
Alien 3
Predator 2
Prometheus
Predators
Alien vs. Predator
Alien Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

keirarts 13th October 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 281376)
That was kind of my point about Prometheus: it fails (and hard) despite its technical brilliance.

AvP was an unpretentious (and utterly under-rated in my book) bit of a romp and quite enjoyable throughout (and I expected to hate it - I have now seen it at least three times). Prometheus was a deathly pretentious borefest throughout. Technical superiority of Prometheus or not, AvP is the better film for me. I'll almost certainly watch AvP again at some point - it may be on telly and it will drag me in, I never want to see Prometheus again, if it was on telly, I'd turn over/off.

I'm just going to say one last thing about avp....

Predalien, totally f****g stupid and the 2nd worse creature design in the whole entire franchise. (Just behind the rediculous blob thing at the end of ressurection)

James Morton 13th October 2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281356)
I actually didnt mind the sequels, as bad as they were they had cheesy appeal to me! :lol:

tbh i don't think i saw the 2nd sequel but i did see the 1st XTRO 2 - THE SECOND ENCOUNTER
but the US companies like to jump on the bandwagon and make a film which is completely American orientated and nothing to do with the excellent original
i know it starred Jan Michael Vincent who the director Davenport didn't get on with because he kept forgetting his lines - well he was a drunk!

keirarts 13th October 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 281497)
tbh i don't think i saw the 2nd sequel but i did see the 1st XTRO 2 - THE SECOND ENCOUNTER
but the US companies like to jump on the bandwagon and make a film which is completely American orientated and nothing to do with the excellent original
i know it starred Jan Michael Vincent who the director Davenport didn't get on with because he kept forgetting his lines - well he was a drunk!

Jan michael Vincent was part of the appeal, he was a total drunk who squandered his talent but his films tend to have a certain trashy appeal. Xtro 2 is certainly a bad movie but its also sort of fun in a demented way!

Gojirosan 13th October 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 281389)

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
AvP
Alien Ressurection
AvPR

For me:

Alien

(big, big gap)

Aliens only just ahead of
Alien 3

(gap)

AvP
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
AvP: Requiem

SShaw 13th October 2012 03:10 PM

"Harolds Going Stiff" - sweet low budget British film about the horrors of growing old or zombies. I am just about to leave to see Liam Neeson's latest "Taken 2" at the local Kino... and having now seen it I can recommend it as a pretty effective action thriller. Yes, it has very little original to say, but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

mercury 13th October 2012 03:26 PM

The Spy Who Loved Me
The Thing (2011)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 281518)
For me:

Alien

(big, big gap)

Alien 3

(gap)

AvP
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus

For me -

Planet of the Vampires.

The rest are all rip offs. :nod:

James Morton 13th October 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 281518)
For me:

Alien

(big, big gap)

Alien 3

(gap)

AvP
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus

my fave Alien/Predator films are

ALIENS - the best imo and one of the best sequels ever
ALIEN - groundbreaking but still gets inspiration from PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
i can't really decide on ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION as i liked them both

PREDATOR ithe better film imo
PREDATOR 2 wasn't a bad film no way but i found it funny with the cops having so called futuristic guns which looked liked laser guns and what year was it supposed to be set...late 90's?
still haven't seen the US police with guns like that....

i haven't seen PROMETHEUS yet

haven't seen PREDATORS and not likely to

AVP and AVP REQUIEM are shite - enough said

PaulD 13th October 2012 06:18 PM

Watched Intruder yesterday. A really solid low budget slasher. Runs along at a good pace with some inventive kills showcasing some great KNB effects. There's some great black humour (often through the use of match cuts) and some excellent camera placement, often using creative POV shots of everyday objects. Highly recommend.

deadeyes 13th October 2012 09:05 PM

today i have watched not sure whats in store for tonight though

house of clocks 7/10
without warning from '80 8/10

KPWNINJA 13th October 2012 09:21 PM

I'm just about to watch Jörg Buttgereit's Nekromantik (1987). :tongue1:

Hawkmonger 13th October 2012 09:23 PM

Just finished PumpkinHead. Great little slasher that disserve's a better reputation amongst mainstream viewers. Full review on the reviewer's thread by Wednesday.:nod:

Rik 13th October 2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPWNINJA (Post 281653)
I'm just about to watch Jörg Buttgereit's Nekromantik (1987). :tongue1:

Have you seen it before?

it'smebilly 13th October 2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 281656)
Have you seen it before?

This is playing at the Leeds Film Festival soon I think. I've never seen it, what's it like?

Hawkmonger 13th October 2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 281660)
This is playing at the Leeds Film Festival soon I think. I've never seen it, what's it like?

What? Really? Nekromantik on the big screen? JEEEEESUS!:lol:

Rik 13th October 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 281660)

Is it, might have to have a trip up the M62 for that. It's a hard film to sit through due to the subject matter, but it's not really as bad as people make out

it'smebilly 13th October 2012 09:36 PM

Yeah, it's part of a double bill with De Todesking on 17th Nov. They have some good films screening this year.

Rik 13th October 2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 281665)
Yeah, it's part of a double bill with De Todesking on 17th Nov. They have some good films screening this year.

I've never seen that one, think I might have to check this out seeing as it's pretty much on my doorstep

KPWNINJA 13th October 2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 281656)
Have you seen it before?

Not yet and I'll have to leave watching it until tomorrow night now. I could have a Nekromantik 1&2 double bill instead.

Expect a review sometime in the near future!

Gojirosan 14th October 2012 12:29 AM

Der Todesking is brilliant. Wish I could catch that screening!

Anyhow I just watched:

Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds/Kyōryū Kaichō no Densetsu - 1977 Japan d:Junji Kurata

This is a very, very strange kaiju effort. Mostly it is a rip-off of Jaws (but with a Nessie-esque plesiosaur instead of a shark) but a rhamphorhynchus turns up late in the day to facilitate the traditional kaiju showdown.

This is a low budget affair and the special effects are simply awful - probably the worst I have seen in such a Japanese monster flick. But, this isn't the problem, long stretches of this are very dull indeed and the plotting and script of frequently incoherent. And the final battle between the monsters is extremely poor and disappointing - the puppets (no men in suits here) are just not up to providing a satisfying bout.

It's not without its charm and is a fair bit bloodier and more violent towards humans than is usual in this kind of thing (there are a fair few dismembered bodies and parts knocking about!) but this is not one for the idly curious. Deffo one for the die-hard Japano-monsterphile.

As such, I did enjoy it a bit, whilst recognising its many, many problems.

An odd film.

Oh, and neither monster is a dinosaur or a bird! They are both reptiles!

demonknight 14th October 2012 01:03 AM

Just after watching "Sneakers" with Robert Redford. Excellent stuff. Hadn't seen it in yrs.

Nordicdusk 14th October 2012 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 86352

I had no expectations going into this film so i was not let down. I have learned that the hard way in the past never expect anything and what can go wrong. Well i have heard more bad than good about this film but i loved it. I will be watching this many times in the future.

VicDakin 14th October 2012 06:00 AM

The Evil (1978)

2 Attachment(s)
The Evil (1978)
nice old skool 70's ghost story kinda cross between Legend of Hell house and Scooby Doo,Victor Buono looks ridiculous as the devil but adds to the charm of it all,poor old Richard Crenna must of been taking any roles at this point in his career he followed this with Devil Dog The Hound of Hell (1978),still fun watch.

Wes 14th October 2012 09:05 AM

Dark Night of the Scarecrow... every inch of this 1981 film has TV written all over it, but nonetheless it's an effective little chiller about revenge from beyond the grave. I suspect there's a powerful nostalgic kick for people of a certain age - this bloodless horror was a regular on TV for years (I first saw it on the Deadly Earnest Horror Show on Sky in the late 80's), and it's worth mentioning that's there's very litte scarecrow action in this, rather it's like a Horror take on a public information film about the danger of farming machinery. A good cast of familiar TV faces including a smug Charles Durning and a sour looking Larry Drake bearing a striking resemblance to Stephen King's Jordy Verrill from Creepshow. Recommended seeing but I'm not sure if it's a keeper...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0BNrHOk_m9...tcmdo1_500.jpg