Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2017, 03:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Obviously, it’s piss poor compared to Yojimbo and A Fist Full of Dollars, but I find it quite enjoyable. It has its problems it’s far from great, but I'm a sucker for most things Walter Hill anyway - one of the greatest and most stylish action directors of his generation. One of my all-time favourite filmmakers. Although a fair share of his films has gone on to become cult classics, he's generally so underappreciated compared to his peers.
Walter Hill directed two films i'd easily put in my top 50 of all time in The Long Riders and Southern Comfort.

He's also made some very good films such as The Warriors, Trespass and Red Heat, however three of his later output - Last Man Standing, Supernova and Bullet to the Head were dreadful.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st May 2017, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Supernova and Bullet to the Head were dreadful.
To be fair, Supernova wasn't Hill's fault, and the version out there isn't really his film at all.

I enjoyed Bullet to the Head, it's decent. It's a shamelessly 80's-esque action movie.

The Driver is a great film.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 31st May 2017, 05:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Too be fair Supernova wasn't Hill's fault, and the version out there isn't really his film at all.

I enjoyed Bullet to the Head, it's decent. It's a shamelessly 80's-esque action movie.

The Driver is a great film.
I've never seen The Driver. Is it the Ryan O' Neill film?

I really found Bullet to the Head to be poor. I'd hoped for something special given Stallone did it around the time of The Expendables movies.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 31st May 2017, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yeah with the awesome Bruce Dern as well.

Quote:
I really found Bullet to the Head to be poor. I'd hoped for something special given Stallone did it around the time of The Expendables movies.
Maybe you went in with your expectations too high. It isn’t anything special, but I enjoyed it for what it is - an ‘80s type action movie that played it straight, rather than making a gimmick out of it like The Expendables franchise. I thought it was pretty good fun.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 31st May 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

X-Men: First Class (2011)

**** out of *****

Old 31st May 2017, 06:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching this, seen the cartoon but never fully watched the movies.

Old 31st May 2017, 06:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Maybe you went in with your expectations too high. It isn’t anything special, but I enjoyed it for what it is - an ‘80s type action movie that played it straight, rather than making a gimmick out of it like The Expendables franchise. I thought it was pretty good fun.
Agreed.
Old 31st May 2017, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

Its an apt title,alot of people did get a bullet in the head.

Old 31st May 2017, 06:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

But, but, but...it's Stallone and Walter Hill... it should have been a classic!
Old 31st May 2017, 08:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dazed and Confused (1993)

Richard Linklater's comedy drama about the last day of school in a Texas town.

Dazed and Confused is one of those rare films that seems to improve with each viewing. Perhaps it's the brilliant cast of likable characters or perhaps it's the 70's rock n' roll soundtrack which features everyone from Alice Cooper to ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd to Bob Dylan and Foghat to Black Sabbath.

Set in 1976 it's a beautifully written film, both funny and poignant with a brilliantly assembled cast of characters including Ben Affleck as a bullying high school jock who failed to graduate the first time, to Matthew McConaughey's twenty something who likes to hang out with high school students. The film focuses on, well everyone really. From the geeks to the freaks, all have a starring role in the film and it's testament to Linklater that everyone feels rounded and no one is left out.

Laugh out loud funny, sad, outrageous and occasionally dreamlike, Linklater puts everything into the film giving it a quality that makes you want to be there. You want to play high school pranks, you want to party, drink and smoke weed and you definitely want to join Joey Lauren Adams and co in going to that Aerosmith concert as the end credits roll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dazed_and_Confused_Movie_Poster_5283.jpg (40.6 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!