Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dazed and Confused (1993)

Richard Linklater's comedy drama about the last day of school in a Texas town.

Dazed and Confused is one of those rare films that seems to improve with each viewing. Perhaps it's the brilliant cast of likable characters or perhaps it's the 70's rock n' roll soundtrack which features everyone from Alice Cooper to ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd to Bob Dylan and Foghat to Black Sabbath.

Set in 1976 it's a beautifully written film, both funny and poignant with a brilliantly assembled cast of characters including Ben Affleck as a bullying high school jock who failed to graduate the first time, to Matthew McConaughey's twenty something who likes to hang out with high school students. The film focuses on, well everyone really. From the geeks to the freaks, all have a starring role in the film and it's testament to Linklater that everyone feels rounded and no one is left out.

Laugh out loud funny, sad, outrageous and occasionally dreamlike, Linklater puts everything into the film giving it a quality that makes you want to be there. You want to play high school pranks, you want to party, drink and smoke weed and you definitely want to join Joey Lauren Adams and co in going to that Aerosmith concert as the end credits roll.
One of my all time favourites, I'm due a rewatch soon

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st May 2017, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
One of my all time favourites, I'm due a rewatch soon
Yes, it's becoming one of mine too. Might be in my top 20.

Definitely Linklater's best film.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 31st May 2017, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've never seen that film sober
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st May 2017, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't know why this is considered a classic of the slasher genre, its a pile of boring old shite, unlikable bunch of characters boring kills the only good one is ripped from the far superior bay of blood. Far better slasher out their of around the same time. Didn't I mention how boring it is! 5/10

Give a chance every so often just to see if I can see want others see, but no with 30 minutes I'm bored to death and its a chore to finish, feels more like 3 hours than 90ish minutes.
Old 31st May 2017, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen The Driver. Is it the Ryan O' Neill film?

I really found Bullet to the Head to be poor. I'd hoped for something special given Stallone did it around the time of The Expendables movies.
.....I literally am speechless. But it's The Driver. The only Ryan O'Neal film you need, unless slapstick is in your bag.
Cough.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st May 2017, 09:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Don't know why this is considered a classic of the slasher genre, its a pile of boring old shite, unlikable bunch of characters boring kills the only good one is ripped from the far superior bay of blood. Far better slasher out their of around the same time. Didn't I mention how boring it is! 5/10

Give a chance every so often just to see if I can see want others see, but no with 30 minutes I'm bored to death and its a chore to finish, feels more like 3 hours than 90ish minutes.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 31st May 2017, 09:40 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Agreed. Might be in a minority here but its really my least favourite of any of the parts from the 80's.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 31st May 2017, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well if we were all in accordance it would be a different sort of Cult Labs I suppose
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st May 2017, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Agreed. Might be in a minority here but its really my least favourite of any of the parts from the 80's.
Me too, but I actually enjoyed the later ones were Jason became a zombie more than the earlier ones, hell Jason X is my favourite which puts me in the minority.
Old 31st May 2017, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

The silly ones - Jason Lives and Jason X - are the only ones I like.

The Cabin in the Woods. A group of college friends - a jock, a brain, a nerd and a virgin - head off for a weekend at an isolated cabin in the woods, and soon unleash an ancient evil. So far, so cliched, right? Wrong. Everything you think you know is inverted in this delightfully cheeky and imaginative comedy-horror co-written by Joss Whedon. Some of the last act reminds me, of all things, of the Pertwee Who story Carnival of Monsters! Great fun.

Like this? Share it using the links below!