Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Das Experiment 2001

A journalist takes part in a psychological experiment for two weeks in order how people will adapt to a different environment and role playing.

This movie is based on Professor Philip Zimbardo The Standford prison experiment in the 70s where volunteers were picked to be prisoners and guards. The experiment was to last 2 weeks but only lasted 7 days. The film was remade in 2010 with Adrian Brody.

2015 saw the release of the movie The Standford Prison Experiment which shows what exactly happened. This is worth a watch if you are not easily upset as it can be disturbing on how people can adapt to their authority roles. 7out of 10.
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

X-Men (2000)

***1/2 out of *****

trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

X-Men 2 (2003)

I really like the first, but this is the X-Men film Singer would've made then if he had the budget.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:34 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Bad Moms

So so comedy in the foul mouthed vein that is popular at the moment. I liked the script in places that ruthlessly mines into the "pissed divorced woman singing I will Survive" vibe, that places the film into pure exploitation of its target audience.

Get Hard

Limp dick

War on Everyone

Highly disjointed madness that comes on like a pissed up James Ellroy novel, maybe.
This is all over the place from discussions about classical Greece to mime gags and everything between. However out of the three comedies I watched, it is the only one to make me laugh out loud.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Das Experiment 2001

A journalist takes part in a psychological experiment for two weeks in order how people will adapt to a different environment and role playing.

This movie is based on Professor Philip Zimbardo The Standford prison experiment in the 70s where volunteers were picked to be prisoners and guards. The experiment was to last 2 weeks but only lasted 7 days. The film was remade in 2010 with Adrian Brody.

2015 saw the release of the movie The Standford Prison Experiment which shows what exactly happened. This is worth a watch if you are not easily upset as it can be disturbing on how people can adapt to their authority roles. 7out of 10.
Of the two films, I much prefer the 2015 docudrama as it conveys the realism and authenticity of Zimbardo's excellent book. In contrast, the German fictionalised/exaggerated version is sometimes a little too far removed from reality and loses impact that result.

Even so, they are both well worth watching.
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd June 2017, 02:53 PM
Cult Addict

CATFIGHT

Two old college friends meet again years later and start a feud that lasts for years...

Very smart and funny Indie comedy which breaks out into gloriously violent, prolonged fists fights every now and again as Sandra Oh and Anne Heche knock the living shit out of each other. Recommended.
Old 3rd June 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deepwater Horizon (2016)

A dramatization of the April 2010 disaster, when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and created the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Playing almost like a docudrama, the film focuses on Mark Wahlberg's Chief Electronics Technician Mike Williams character as he says goodbye to his wife (Kate Hudson) and young daughter as he sets off for a 21 day stint on the offshore BP oil rig Deepwater Horizon. Once aboard the rig he meets up with rig supervisor Jimmy Harrell (Kurt Russell) and the BP managers, including John Malkovich. From here on it feels as if the viewer is simply listening in on conversations and meetings. We aren't told any exposition to propel the story along, it's happening right there as we watch. The BP company are weeks behind in their schedule and aren't listening to the rig crew when it comes to safety and testing. We aren't privy to a 101 in how a drilling test works, we either begin to process what is happening or we don't.

Trust me when i say although nothing explosive happens until the half way point it's still an interesting and highly informative ride, then come the fifty minute mark, shit really does blow up and we are thrust kicking and screaming (think mainly screaming) into perhaps the most intense disaster movie yet made. It's as gripping as any action thriller i can recall but the difference is that this actually happened and come the end i felt like i'd been thrown head first through the emotional wringer. 11 people were killed on the Deepwater Horizon as the fire raged for two days. Oil continued to pour for 87 further days destroying the seas of the Louisiana coastline and Gulf of Mexico.

Whilst the facts are on screen in front of you, i'll leave it to each individual to make up their own minds as to why this happened and if it could have been avoided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeepwaterHorizonPoster.jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd June 2017, 04:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Considering Peter Berg is best known for making films including Hancock, The Kingdom and Battleship, I was very pleased and surprised to see the way Deepwater Horizon played out and was almost like Paul Greengrass was directing, having the same style as United 93, Captain Phillips, and The Bourne Supremacy & Ultimatum.
Old 3rd June 2017, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gator Bait (1974)

Think I Spit on Your Grave thrown in a cauldron with the faux nature documentary The Legend of Boggy Creek, add a tablespoonful of Southern Comfort, leave to simmer then add a splash of boat chasing from Live and Let Die and you have Gator Bait. A fun yet also thoroughly crude exploitation piece that has a nasty streak throughout.

It's a simply plotted film. Whilst attempting to molest the lovely Desiree (a big haired Claudia Jennings) a sadistic hillbilly's son is accidentally killed by the police chief's son. Blaming it falsely on Desiree, the police join up with the incestuous hillbilly family in hunting down Desiree and her two children in the untamed Louisiana swamps. What follows is a vicious game of cat and mouse involving rape and general all round brutality as the net closes in on Desiree. Or does it?

Whilst you can at times wander off and make a brew due to the endless chatter and nature doc style swampland ramblings, it's all nicely framed and decently acted and you might even fall in love with Jennings. All in all Gator Bait is a film i really enjoyed and would heartily recommend.

The US dvd looks like a real cheapie but is actually a special edition laden with extras and a beautiful 1:33:1 print.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gator_bait_xlg.jpg (99.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd June 2017, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Gator Bait (1974)

Think I Spit on Your Grave thrown in a cauldron with the faux nature documentary The Legend of Boggy Creek, add a tablespoonful of Southern Comfort, leave to simmer then add a splash of boat chasing from Live and Let Die and you have Gator Bait. A fun yet also thoroughly crude exploitation piece that has a nasty streak throughout.

It's a simply plotted film. Whilst attempting to molest the lovely Desiree (a big haired Claudia Jennings) a sadistic hillbilly's son is accidentally killed by the police chief's son. Blaming it falsely on Desiree, the police join up with the incestuous hillbilly family in hunting down Desiree and her two children in the untamed Louisiana swamps. What follows is a vicious game of cat and mouse involving rape and general all round brutality as the net closes in on Desiree. Or does it?

Whilst you can at times wander off and make a brew due to the endless chatter and nature doc style swampland ramblings, it's all nicely framed and decently acted and you might even fall in love with Jennings. All in all Gator Bait is a film i really enjoyed and would heartily recommend.

The US dvd looks like a real cheapie but is actually a special edition laden with extras and a beautiful 1:33:1 print.
I'm pretty sure I had this on vhs,

Like this? Share it using the links below!