Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2017, 01:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i might need my eyes testing but i didn't seem any different from the other releases, but its been some time since i saw it and the the other two veriosn might have better picture quality
Arrows Phenomena is a step up from Synapses. It doesn't look as 'cold' or 'washed out' for want of a better term. Arrows previous release and Synapses come from the same master I believe and Arrows new one is a Fresh scan that sems to have been done 'in house'. Its why I'm pleased Arrow are not bunging out Italian titles willy nilly these days. Theres still enough problems with Italian titles that they seem to need a bit of extra TLC.

Orpheus

just one yesterday. This from Jean Cocteau who made the greatest screen verison of Beuty and the beast (don't kill me Disney fans! ). Here he takes the classic myth of Orpheus in the underworld and transposes it to modern day France as a Poet finds himself straying into the underworld and catching the eye of death. Then having to venture into the underworld to rescue his wife. Its pure visual poetry that has to have influenced directors like David Lynch given some of its imagery and tricks. It also has a strange, somewhat pessimistic and autobiographical tone to it. Criterions Blu-ray is absolutely loaded and worth picking up.
Old 5th June 2017, 02:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted ala Orpheus then

Maniac Cop 2 (1990, Bill Lustig)
1st sequel to the '88 film. Claudia Christian has to make people believe Matt Cordell is still swinging that stick. Bruce Campbell turns up to collect his cheque.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th June 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult Addict

The Spy Who Loved Me. 1977. Lewis Gilbert.

Its been years since i watched any classic James Bond, particularly the Roger Moore era films. So given Sir Rogers recent passing i decided to dig one out the other night. My favourite has always been The Man With the Golden Gun but i thought I'd go with this one. One of the most highly regarded films of the franchise it's actually one i remember finding a little underwhelming on my last viewing, sometime in the dark ages.
Starting off with a cracking ski chase/shootout somewhere in Austria that culminates in the iconic parachute jump (one of the most famous stunts of the whole franchise) the action absolutely rattles along as Agent 007 is partnered with the gorgeous Barbara Bach as Russian agent Anya Asamova to investigate the mysterious disappearance of both Soviet and US nuclear submarines. Featuring such franchise highlights as the Bonds underwater car and metal mouthed henchman Jaws the films still manages to maintain a grounded feel and the later scenes aboard villain Strombergs ocean liner almost have the feel of classic war films. Cracking stuff and a film my memory clearly lied to me about. Might give Moores debut Live and Let Die a spin this week.
Old 5th June 2017, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The Spy Who Loved Me. 1977. Lewis Gilbert.

Its been years since i watched any classic James Bond, particularly the Roger Moore era films. So given Sir Rogers recent passing i decided to dig one out the other night. My favourite has always been The Man With the Golden Gun but i thought I'd go with this one. One of the most highly regarded films of the franchise it's actually one i remember finding a little underwhelming on my last viewing, sometime in the dark ages.
Starting off with a cracking ski chase/shootout somewhere in Austria that culminates in the iconic parachute jump (one of the most famous stunts of the whole franchise) the action absolutely rattles along as Agent 007 is partnered with the gorgeous Barbara Bach as Russian agent Anya Asamova to investigate the mysterious disappearance of both Soviet and US nuclear submarines. Featuring such franchise highlights as the Bonds underwater car and metal mouthed henchman Jaws the films still manages to maintain a grounded feel and the later scenes aboard villain Strombergs ocean liner almost have the feel of classic war films. Cracking stuff and a film my memory clearly lied to me about. Might give Moores debut Live and Let Die a spin this week.
One of the best Bond themes too.

Not a big fan of the franchise to be honest, but this and Live and Let Die are my favourites.
Old 5th June 2017, 06:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
One of the best Bond themes too.

Not a big fan of the franchise to be honest, but this and Live and Let Die are my favourites.
When i was a kid i thought they were incredible. Bond particularly when played by Sir Roger was the coolest man on earth. Then i grew up a bit and fell way out of love. I really really enjoyed SpyWLM and can see myself working my way through a few of them in the coming weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts on the blus?
iank and Deadite like this.
Old 5th June 2017, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched that there Fright Night 2.
Enjoyed it far more than the parent film. I hasten to add tis the 88 film cough.
Now watching mate's Burial Ground. Bonny! You CAN polish a turd etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th June 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Now watching mate's Burial Ground. Bonny!
Who the hell do you think you are? Greyfriars Bobby?
Old 5th June 2017, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Who the hell do you think you are? Greyfriars Bobby?
Ooooh hats off D!!

Told him he wouldn't like it .... still saves me hunting for it. It's still a scream and they all deserve their fate

[B]
Old 5th June 2017, 08:40 PM
Ex-member

The Wizard of Lies ~ Story of now infamous Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme in which he defrauded billions and billions from his clients some of which were big name celebrities like Kevin Bacon and his wife Kyra Sedgwick and Zsa Zsa Gabor. Brilliant all round most especially De Niro(whom was probably getting sick of doing comedy the last several years) 8.5/10

Last edited by LaughingWindows; 5th June 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
When i was a kid i thought they were incredible. Bond particularly when played by Sir Roger was the coolest man on earth. Then i grew up a bit and fell way out of love. I really really enjoyed SpyWLM and can see myself working my way through a few of them in the coming weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts on the blus?
The Blu-rays look fantastic. Got them all, though the only I haven't seen on Blu as yet is Golden Gun (which I shall watch later this year). I hadn't seen them for years until about 5 years ago, when I saw FYEO again. Now I make it a point to watch at least one Roger a year.
I'm not a big Bond fan (quite like the Daltons, esp Licence to Kill, but that's it otherwise) but I love the Moore's.

Hey, Demoncrat, someone else who prefers Fright Night II to the first one!

Like this? Share it using the links below!