Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2017, 10:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

heard bad things about this but i enjoyed, its not going to be up there with the likes of Halloween etc, but there are far worse slashers out there and was miles a head of the original Friday the 13th. some of the most hilariously "acting" i have ever seen. a deranged looking stig of the dump/hillbilly/yeti killer and lots of unintentional humour with some cheap looking but gory kills made for an enjoyable and fun 80 minutes. 6.5/10
Old 9th June 2017, 10:03 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

heard bad things about this but i enjoyed, its not going to be up there with the likes of Halloween etc, but there are far worse slashers out there and was miles a head of the original Friday the 13th. some of the most hilariously "acting" i have ever seen. a deranged looking stig of the dump/hillbilly/yeti killer and lots of unintentional humour with some cheap looking but gory kills made for an enjoyable and fun 80 minutes. 6.5/10
This is definitely a real guilty pleasure for me. I've seen it more times than is healthy.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:58 AM
Cult Addict

Watched The Giant Gila Monster
The story is set in a small hick town, a group of friends chilling out at a local diner waiting for a couple of chums who haven't appeared. our "hero" is a local car mechanic who is trying to get by making ends meet supporting his mother and his little sister. an onslaught of accidents happen on the road, no one knows whats going on (but we do ). what is happening are cars are getting knocked off roads by a big ass lizard.
This film is not subtle we see the monster before the characters do, the use of miniatures is good, music is fine but pisspoorly used. the characters are fine; nothing wrong with them.
6/10
Old 9th June 2017, 01:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I went to see Wonder Woman last night and really enjoyed it. It does have some problems, the first 25 mins feel like a high budget episode of Xena for a start. Another problem is the tonal shifts, it's a very serious film for most of it's running time, but some of the epic battle sequences at the end are presented like live action comic strips - I guess it's still a comic book movie... So many shots of Diana in full focus with lots of hazy soft focus explosions in the back ground.

However, Gal Gadot is an absolute joy as Diana Prince and surprisingly I didn't hate Chris Pine like I expected to. Ewan Bremmer was pleasant surprise also, even if he is playing a WW1 'Spud' from Trainspotting
It felt like a less serious Captain America: Winter Soldier. 4/5

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th June 2017, 02:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the director's cut of Ridley Scott's Legend last night. Is a very enjoyable fairy-tale film with outstanding make-up by Rob Bottin (Tim Curry is totally unrecognizable as Darkness). btw I always give a wry smile that the evil appearance of Princess Lily is basically just a goth.

My region friendly US bd has both director's cut and US theatrical viewing options. With different soundtracks - Jerry Goldsmith on one version and Tangerine Dream on the other. I always opt for the longer cut of the film but do love the Tangerine Dream music (I even own it on cd), is amazing that the TD music was supposedly created in just 3 weeks.

One odd thing about the Goldsmith score is that it uses exactly the same music as a Psycho II main theme at one point. I guess that since his music was initially rejected, Jerry thought that it was safe to reuse. Film score - 7.5/10.
Old 9th June 2017, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Exists (2014)

From Eduardo Sanchez co-writer and director of The Blair Witch Project, Exists is yet more found footage tomfoolery.

However unlike most films of this ilk, Exists is pretty good. It's story about a group of friends who travel deep into the remote Texas woods to stay at a cabin, belonging to one of their fathers, for a wild weekend of debauchery, is nothing new, in fact it borders on cliché. Where Exists and Sanchez redeem their selves is in the 'found footage'.

Thankfully we get to see what the group are up against early doors - Bigfoot - albeit in shaky footage, but it piques your interest and the fact Bigfoot features in the film constantly is also a bonus as usually we don't get to see these things until the final reel, if that. I'd argue that the nearest film currently on the market to Exists is Night of the Demon (1980), minus the OTT gore of course.

The end result is a decently creepy film with good Bigfoot costumes and make up and some scarily effective set pieces. All in all Exists is definitely one of the better Bigfoot movies out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exists_Movie_Poster.jpg (23.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 9th June 2017, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Watched the director's cut of Ridley Scott's Legend last night. Is a very enjoyable fairy-tale film with outstanding make-up by Rob Bottin (Tim Curry is totally unrecognizable as Darkness). btw I always give a wry smile that the evil appearance of Princess Lily is basically just a goth.

My region friendly US bd has both director's cut and US theatrical viewing options. With different soundtracks - Jerry Goldsmith on one version and Tangerine Dream on the other. I always opt for the longer cut of the film but do love the Tangerine Dream music (I even own it on cd), is amazing that the TD music was supposedly created in just 3 weeks.

One odd thing about the Goldsmith score is that it uses exactly the same music as a Psycho II main theme at one point. I guess that since his music was initially rejected, Jerry thought that it was safe to reuse. Film score - 7.5/10.
I have the American and the UK discs so I have the short cut and the long cut with the Goldsmith score and the short cut with the TD score but i'll only ever watch the TD version because THAT's Legend for me.

Old 9th June 2017, 02:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I have the American and the UK discs so I have the short cut and the long cut with the Goldsmith score and the short cut with the TD score but i'll only ever watch the TD version because THAT's Legend for me.
Interesting. btw Have just been reminded (on Facebook) that Psycho II came out 2 years earlier. Apparently the editors used the Psycho II music as a temporary track during Legend's editing stage, and chose to retain it - despite Goldsmith having written new music for the scene. Apparently Goldsmith was quite unhappy about that decision.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 9th June 2017, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Interesting. btw Have just been reminded (on Facebook) that Psycho II came out 2 years earlier. Apparently the editors used the Psycho II music as a temporary track during Legend's editing stage, and chose to retain it - despite Goldsmith having written new music for the scene. Apparently Goldsmith was quite unhappy about that decision.
Which scene did they do this for? I'm not familiar with the Psycho II score!
keirarts likes this.

Old 9th June 2017, 03:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Which scene did they do this for? I'm not familiar with the Psycho II score!
It's just after Jack has been fighting with the kitchen workers (1 hr 26 mins 18 secs on the US disc). Is very strange to hear Goldsmith's Psycho II main theme during a fairy tale film! Odd to be reminded of Norman Bates.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!