"The Cottage"
"Colin"
"Small Town Folk"
"Hush"
"Creep"
"Wilderness"
"Severance"
"Triangle"

Some with overseas money for sure (but that's been like that since the 60's at least for most films, including many 'Hammer' films), but all UK productions with heavy UK talent.

Even failed things like "Kung Fu Flid" tried something different, we've had indy super violent martial arts/action films like "10 Dead Men" and Darren's "Sudden Fury" (it at least got released on DVD and reviewed globally), and "Mad MAx" style sci-fi on the big screen for the first time in 2 decades with "Doomsday".

The big problem now is that unlike then we have no indy cinema chains where homegrown product can released.
It's not like it was in the 60's/70's or even the 80's. UK genre films are being made but have to fight against cunting "Avatar" on 5 million screens (and all it's ilk) on American studio owned cinema chains (or chains beholden to American films and studios for success) to get noticed.

If not it's into the vast ocean of DVD release it goes, where you have to fight to get even noticed.

And then we still have lack of funding in general...but people are out there giving it a go in greater numbers than we have see for years.

But to be fair this past decade has been the best for British horror/genre films since the 70's.
fair point 42nd, really didn't think that post through. i actually enjoyed pretty much every film on your list with exceptions to Colin (not seen it) and Small Town Folk (utter cack but a good effort)
Old 25th March 2010, 07:33 PM
Ex-member

No no mate...You're right that we are not the force we were, but I think the UK has bounced back nicely in the 00's. And can join France for certain in delivering some fine horror product.

I actually think Dyer is very good and likeable in "Severance", but eevn if you donlt like him you have to admit that he's been part of a number of tough multi-genre pieces (even those that fail) the like of which we've not produced in this country since the early 80's...no costume dramas here.

Indeed we have seen a rise in tougher genre's full stop.
Whatever you think of "Lock Stock" (me I love it) it gave a real boost to violent, full-on, British thriller making...even if it rather got bogged down in gangsters.
Certainly we have not had a tough thriller output like this since the 80's (and that was almost solely down to 2 or 3 'Hand Made Films' and "Who Dares Wins" even then).

But "Rise of the Foot Soldier", "Rollin' with the Nine's", "London to Brighton", "The Crew", "Snatch", "Harry Brown", "The Bank Job", "Gangster no.1" and "Bronson" have all delivered well crafted, tough, stylish, gritty, brutal entertainment unlike anything seen since the 70's/80's.

Even stuff like "Green Zone" and "Kick-Ass" are UK co-productions utilising much UK talent both in front and behind the camera in high profile positions.

I'm actually really happy and quite proud with the way the UK has bounced back this decade as far as getting it's fingers in as many tasty cinematic pies as possible.
Old 25th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched Rob Zombie's

"Halloween 2" last night

All I can say is "oh dear!", after what I felt was a strong re-imagining of Halloween in Zombie's first outing.

Although H2 was violent and gritty it failed miserably to even feel like a Halloween movie. It was a stroke of genius for Zombie to include the original score in the first movie, but not to include it in the sequel was a mistake. I also felt Michael in H2 could just have been any other killer in any other oh hum slasher. Nowhere did I have any feelings towards Michael good or bad .... I was just bored ... everything seemed to be played by the numbers! And what the heck with the ghostly apparitions of him as a child and his mother?!

After a promising opening in the hospital, it all went very very quickly downhill. I did get the feeling that Zombie was trying to steer away from just another re-hash of the original Halloween 2 .. but didn't really have any idea where to take it! If so ... why bother!? Thankfully it tanked at the box office, so hopefully he will lay Michael to rest!

As for the UK release of the DVD, did anyone notice just how poor the sound was? I had to crank my amp up just to hear to centre channel and speech. Very poor.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

@ 42nd: i totally agree with tougher 'gangster' films although i do find alot of them Guy Ritchi wannabes, Don't get me wrong i love me abit of gangster action but Essex boys did Rise Of the Footsoldier better and The Crew was trying to be Long Good Friday with a scouse accent, the only reedeming thing about The Crew was the appearance of Stephen Graham, He's the reason i carried on watching it.

Rollin' With the Nines was a fantastic film and featured some pretty good low budget action, but i found Julien Gibley tried to emulate that to Footsoldier and completely botched it...Good call on Snatch, love that film, constantly quoting it too.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I enjoyed Lock, Stock... on first viewing, hated it on second viewing! But if it did nothing other than allow the masterful Gangster No 1 to be made than its existence has been validated. I can't be bothered with British gangster films by and large, but I thought Gangster No 1 was spectacularly good.

I was so inspired by the above list that I searched BT Vision's Film On Demand section and managed to come up with The Children which I just watched and which I am about to review in my review thread thing.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 25th March 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Agreed.GANGSTER NO.1 is my fave of all the recent Brit Gangster films.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Agreed.GANGSTER NO.1 is my fave of all the recent Brit Gangster films.
What do you take me for, a c**t? Classic McDowall
Old 25th March 2010, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It took a while but Gangster No 1 grew on me after repeated viewings. McDowell & Bettany were searingly good but David Thewlis was the whole film for me. A brilliant performance.

However the scene where Eddie Marsan blows nasal groobers is almost unwatchable.
Old 26th March 2010, 10:01 AM
Cult Rookie

Watched Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eye's part 2 last night for the first time and it was pretty bad! Surprising that the previous year he made his brilliant Nightmare on Elm Street film. Such a dip in quality!
Old 26th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbie View Post
Watched Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eye's part 2 last night for the first time and it was pretty bad!
This rates very highly for me on the Worst Sequels Ever Made list.

Like this? Share it using the links below!