Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2017, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Me and my eldest lad went to watch the latest instalment of Gag's favourite film franchise earlier, Transformers: The Last Knight.

Not as bad as the reviews make out, shit blows up, pretty female lead, Sir Anthony Hopkins, a C-3PO ripoff butler Transformer and Optimus Prime saving the day as usual.
It's not really any different to the other films in the franchise, so if you (like me) enjoy them for what they are, you'll probably enjoy this one too.
My only real complaint is that it's a bit too long at 149 minutes and the plot does get lost during the middle.
Having said that, I'll be sure to pick it up on BD eventually

7/10
anyone else miss the comma and read pretty female lead Sir Anthony Hopkins!
Rik and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 22nd July 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
anyone else miss the comma and read pretty female lead Sir Anthony Hopkins!

To avoid confusion, I'm talking about Laura Haddock

E9D519C9-9CF9-4CC0-A9AF-899E6800BB95-2695-000001512EF2DAB8.jpeg
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoyable futuristic prison escape movie with the Highlander himself Christopher Lambert as our hero and Kurtwood Smith as the usual unhinged bad guy, directed by Stuart Gordon and its should be of no surprise that Jeffrey Combs is in it with it being a Gordon film. A lot gorier than I remember. 8/10

Next up 21 Jump Street.
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Enjoyable futuristic prison escape movie with the Highlander himself Christopher Lambert as our hero and Kurtwood Smith as the usual unhinged bad guy, directed by Stuart Gordon and its should be of no surprise that Jeffrey Combs is in it with it being a Gordon film. A lot gorier than I remember. 8/10

Next up 21 Jump Street.

I haven't seen Fortress since it came out and my mum and dad rented it, I remember liking it though, might have to give it a rewatch sometime
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I haven't seen Fortress since it came out and my mum and dad rented it, I remember liking it though, might have to give it a rewatch sometime
I keep hoping Fortress may see a UK blu release. I think its a Columbia/Sony title so hopefully Indicator may eventually put it out.
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The doctor and the Devils 1985

Two men take up grave digging to supply doctor with fresh bodies for his medical tuition.

This is based on the Murders of Burke and Hare while Timothy Dalton takes on the role of Doctor Rock. It's a slight disappointment as Mel Brooks produced this movie but didn't stick to the actual true story but still very entertaining.
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Alien: Covenant (2017)

The most interesting aspect of this is the dynamic between Michael Fassbender’s David and Walter, and it does have some genuinely intense moments entailing well-executed set-pieces. Other than that, it’s just as middling as Prometheus.

The crew of characters are not like anybody in the original film; they’re all interchangeable fodder that I couldn’t give a **** about. I didn’t like that they flipped the script with David,
SPOILER:
and killed Elizabeth Shaw off screen
. Those characters were two of the best things about the first prequel, and we can tell by how it ended that the next instalment was supposed to continue their adventures as they explore the Engineers’ home world, and their mythology that would gradually lead into the Alien mythos. But obviously, after the mixed reception to Prometheus, Fox persuaded Ridley Scott to change direction and give us a proper Alien film instead.

I’m not buying the Xenomorph’s origin story either (let’s see how they explain the Alien queen down the line), and we didn’t need one anyway. The point of us not knowing what they are and where they come from was one of the great things about these iconic cinematic monsters, and now that mystery has been stripped away.

I haven’t seen an Alien film I’ve liked since the severely underrated Alien 3, and Scott is morphing into the new Lucas.

**1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 23rd July 2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:05 AM
Cult Addict

Ironclad

Shit gets hacked up! Fun Middle Ages spin on The Magnificent Seven with some great gore effects as chunks of bone fill the air along with blood and guts in the fight scenes.

Ragnarok: The Viking Apocalypse

Pretty good Scandinavian family film riffing off Jurassic Park and Norse legends.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

MPW-19229.jpg

A double helping of nostalgia. I remember that when SNF was such a smash that the film was re-edited for a lower certificate so more people could see it and not just watch clips on Top Of The Pops.
When Grease came out, I was still riding high on Star Wars and most of my friends at school changed their allegiance from Star Wars to Grease. While they were playing the double soundtrack to Grease, I was listening to the double album of Star Wars.
A great double bill and a massive trip down memory lane to those heady school days.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dunkirk

A bit of a spoiler alert..

I can see what all the fuss about and how good the film is.
But at first their was something about the film that couldn't grab me and pull me in like a lot of action and war movies ,
Its a slow build up but at same time feels like something is constantly going on , it concentrates on three groups of people. Its more of what you seen on screen than on dialogue , but I felt the the music score was at times to much and overbearing even samantha said same thing, the music score is constantly playing the whole film there in the background but still loud enough to notice, but at times felt it was to loud and overpowering , i only got grabbed into the film a fair bit into it, roughly when the jet fighter went down and he was struggling to get out the cockpit as the plane was sinking , and they was all hiding below deck on the boat and it was slowly get shot at , but still a good film none the less ..

Like this? Share it using the links below!