All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2017, 05:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Man of Steel (2013)

Disappointing reboot for Superman which is a mash up of the Christopher Reeve films Superman and Superman II but has such a lousy script from David S Goyer and Christopher Nolan, that neither director Zack Snyder or a terrific but utterly wasted cast including Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane can do anything with.

To say shit blows up is an understatement. No wonder Batman decided Superman caused more damage than he was worth in Dawn of Justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man-of-steel-2013-16.jpg (98.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th August 2017, 05:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Man of Steel (2013)

Disappointing reboot for Superman which is a mash up of the Christopher Reeve films Superman and Superman II but has such a lousy script from David S Goyer and Christopher Nolan, that neither director Zack Snyder or a terrific but utterly wasted cast including Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane can do anything with.

To say shit blows up is an understatement. No wonder Batman decided Superman caused more damage than he was worth in Dawn of Justice.
Michael Shannon was the best part of that film

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th August 2017, 05:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Man of Steel (2013)

Not seen it for sometime but I love the level of destruction at the end.
Old 6th August 2017, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

well this is a lot better than i was expecting from whats been said. visually its stunning and should be seen on the big screen, liked the idea of the big space city and all different type of environments and aliens that looked weird and strange and not just strange foreheads and ears, like star trek. it could of been a good 20 minutes shorter and i found the actor playing Valerian wasn't that good of an actor and had zero charisma, but was made up by Laureline his partner and the weird and wonderful creatures. 6.5-7/10
Old 6th August 2017, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Right
Just off to peruse this Beyond The Gates.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th August 2017, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

over the top 80s excess. forget about the paper thin story and lack of chemistry between Cruise and McGillis, just sit back and watch the homoerotic story of "top Gun" fighter pilots, watch them play volleyball which is one one step away from them lubing up and taking turns with each other!! 8/10

now watching braindead and after that either working girl or witchtrap.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Right
Just off to peruse this Beyond The Gates.
Chase Williamson should know betterer
Reasonable enough. Undemanding. Slight. Nice ST.
Can I stop now?

Infection: The Invasion Begins ... (Howard Wexler, 2010)
Why I haven't seen this on THC I'm unsure. It certainly fits their early evening slot
Various smalltown cliches battle intestinal invaders. From the man who brought ye Evil Bong.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th August 2017, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

Savage Dog

Scott Adkins kicks, punches, shoots and blows shit up in this highly enjoyable but uneven actioner. The first half of the film is the usual stuff...Adkins with his shirt off beating people to a pulp in various fights...the second half is where the fun really kicks in as Adkins goes on a vengeance fuelled killing spree full of heads, arms and hands being blown off with guns or hacked off with bladed weapons. The gore effects are a mix of CGI and practical with a love of squibs exploding under white shirts. Chuck in a bit of cannibalism from our hero and a narrative voice over from a ghost, I kid you not, and you have a fun action film with a semi 80s vibe.

American Anarchist

Documentary about William Powell, author of THE ANARCHIST COOKBOOK. Shit blows up!
Old 7th August 2017, 02:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post

American Anarchist

Documentary about William Powell, author of THE ANARCHIST COOKBOOK. Shit blows up!
So, not The Thin Man then?
Old 7th August 2017, 07:17 AM
Cult Addict

Dane DeHaan future cult classics double bill.

Valerian

There are numerous problems with Valerian, the lead actors have no chemistry, the writing is weak with a plot that merely serves to move the characters from one set piece to another. There are various plot threads and points that are abandoned or overlooked entirely with one being to the point of frustration. I can't say too much without spoiling but it involves the clearly signposted villains motivations. However, I'm a sucker for overblown sci-fi that lacks irony or self awareness. Valerian is a lot of fun and as pure spectacle its marvellous. I'm not sure how it will play on home video though.

Cure for wellness.

Second time with this. I went to the cinema to see this earlier in the year and was pleasantly surprised given the bad word of mouth. I'm pleased to say it holds up on home video as well. I'm still baffled as to how Gore Verbinski got the funding for this. Its a 150 minute slow burning mystery that gradually morphs into gothic horror with some demented imagery involving eels, dehydrating pensioners and bizarre medical procedures. It also features a dentistry scene that you might expect if Lucio Fulci had been given the task of directing marathon man. Its not without its flaws but I find these quite easy to overlook here. Some people might hate it but like valerian it should find an audience.

Like this? Share it using the links below!