LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2017, 08:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i liked the idea, but with the show they just went with the idea she couldn't sense them unlike other slayers, just found the whole film to silly ans stupid, but maybe i should not compare it to the show and watch it on its own merits
I treat them as separate entities, not comparing Kristy Swanson to Sarah Michelle Geller, Donald Sutherland to Anthony Head, Rutger Hauer to James Marsters/David Boreanaz.

Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the movie well, and the screenplay is very well written; apparently she developed it with Joss Whedon to the extent that they worked together on both the film and TV series, for which she is credited as an executive producer.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I treat them as separate entities, not comparing Kristy Swanson to Sarah Michelle Geller, Donald Sutherland to Anthony Head, Rutger Hauer to James Marsters/David Boreanaz.

Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the movie well, and the screenplay is very well written; apparently she developed it with Joss Whedon to the extent that they worked together on both the film and TV series, for which she is credited as an executive producer.
will watch again at some point and try not to compare it to the show, which i did. you could see hints of what made the show so great. At the beginning of the film Buffy is a lot more Cordelia than Buffy
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th August 2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
will watch again at some point and try not to compare it to the show, which i did. you could see hints of what made the show so great. At the beginning of the Buffy is a lot more Cordelia than Buffy
I know what you mean about the Buffy character in the film because, from memory, she is nowhere near as strong – mentally or physically – as Joss Whedon made her, but it would be interesting to watch it myself because it's been a while.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts when you next watch the film and thinking about the TV show.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I know what you mean about the Buffy character in the film because, from memory, she is nowhere near as strong – mentally or physically – as Joss Whedon made her, but it would be interesting to watch it myself because it's been a while.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts when you next watch the film and thinking about the TV show.

Yeah even at the beginning of the show, Buffy was nowhere near the ditzy blonde cheerleader Valley version in the film. I actually really like the film, and Paul Reubens is hilarious.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

Cough splutter, as I understand it, the Kuzuis had absolutely nothing to do with the series at all, they gained credits solely because they share ownership of the rights to the character.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Cough splutter, as I understand it, the Kuzuis had absolutely nothing to do with the series at all, they gained credits solely because they share ownership of the rights to the character.
Having read a bit in the last few minutes, you're right. Joss Whedon's vision for the film was much darker than the comedy it became, something reflected in the frequent tense, violent and occasionally very scary scenes and episodes in the TV show

I thought the Kuzuis had more creative input but, according to Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder, their credits "relate to their funding, producing, and directing of the original movie version of Buffy."
Old 12th August 2017, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

The Girl on the Train

Lots of people do acting in a rather slim plot of a film which is mind bogglingly complicated. I guessed who the killer was early on only to discover it wasn't the giant underpass dwelling centipede from Abscentia as I first thought. Recommended.

American Tiger

The wonderfully named Mitch Gaylord is framed for murder and sets to clear his name with the help of an old Chinese witch in an electric wheelchair and a ginger haired stripper. Donald Pleasence as the baddie gets to feel up a naked Chinese woman whilst his face is painted green and also turn into a pig.

Nudist Colony of the Dead

After their nudist camp is closed by Christians, the members make a suicide pact and vow to return from the grave...in the present day, the Christian's kids go to the camp for a bible retreat...if that doesn't sound shit enough already, it is a f*cking musical too.

Angel of Reckoning

Director Len Kabasonski, the king of taekwondo kicking monster flicks featuring vampires, werewolves and zombies changes pace in this vengeance driven drama...a female solider returns from active duty to take on the scum who drove her niece to suicide. Having enjoyed most of Kabasonski's dumb but fun monster films I was a bit let down by this. There is little action and and the whole thing takes itself too seriously. However I followed it up with another film by the same director....

Apocalypse Female Warriors

This is more like it, endless scenes of nudity and stilted martial arts in a post nuclear war setting which looks suspiciously like a closed school and a scrap yard. Top stuff.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sold then

Now off to watch the animal cruelty bonanza that is Bambi
Night!!
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2017, 05:40 AM
Cult Addict

My mate showed me The Company of Wolves.
The film centers around a young girl, who dreams of being in a small village and having to traverse a path to visit her grandmother, during the film her grandmother tells her some tales based on wolves, the second half was based more on Little Red Riding Hood.
The acting is great, at first the plot felt difficult to follow but you start to understand by the second half of the film. What makes this standout is the transformation effects from man to wolf. Not as good as American Werewolf in London, but is well done. I'd recommend giving it a watch.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 13th August 2017, 11:56 AM
Ex-member

Bounty Killer (2013)

Christian Pitre steals the film as Mary Death,One very hot looking woman.

Loved it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!