Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2017, 07:24 AM
Cult Addict

Atomic blonde

Very much style over substance. That said I really liked the style so I was entertained. It's got a very 80's aesthetic with neon lighting soaking interior scenes. The soundtrack is amazing and the fight scenes are as well executed as everyone says. There's also a bit of 'girl on girl' so there's that going for it well. Its somewhat mis sold by the trailers as its more a throwback to cold war spy thrillers than full blown action flick and here's where it stumbles. The actual plot is not as smart as the writers think. Its reliant on an 'unreliable narrator' structure that means the twist is fairly easy to work out. The ending might be debatable but I'm not going to spoil it all. It's worth seeing. Certainly if your cinema is £4.99 a ticket like mine or you have one of those monthly passes. Its not worth it for £10-£20 theatres though. Also keep an eye out for a fight scene in a cinema taking place with Tarkovsky's stalker playing in the background.

Annabelle creation

The first Annabelle was crap. Sorry if there's anyone who liked it but it f=was terribly flat and over-reliant on jump scares over any sort of atmosphere or suspense. While not perfect, creation is a step in the right direction. There's still the standard quiet...quiet....SUDDEN NOISE!. There is however, also an attempt to generate suspense and a sense of dread. There's also some genuinely creepy imagery as well. If your not a fan of the conjuring films your still probably not going to be sold on this, however if you did like them this one is more like them than the first.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:00 AM
Cult Addict

Last night watched Barbarella
Set in the far future, our heroine Barbarella is ordered by the president of Earth to find a scientist named Duran Duran on another planet. Barbarella arrives on this planet and sets out to find, while also banging a few guys and changing clothes more often than she should be.
It's a great piece of sci fi and there is so much eye candy going about, the soundtrack is cheesy, but you can't fault it due to the time it was made.
8/10

Hardware
Set in a post apocalyptic future; a scavenger discovers remains of a robot and brings them back to the city where he sells the head. The man who bought the head gives it to his girlfriend to use for her art. Unfortunately the head is part of a prototype robot that can self repair and rebuild itself and it ends up going on a rampage.
It's not the best cyberpunk movie i've seen, but for what it is it's a great effort on the part of Stanley, the story is rather convoluded at times, but it has great effects and one of the best cameos by Lemmy i've ever seen.
7/10
Old 16th August 2017, 08:18 AM
Cult Addict

Vendetta

For what threatens to be another 'cockney geezer' exploitation movie designed to haunt supermarket shelves, Vendetta is actually not that bad.
It's a Death Wish style vigilante film where Dyer comes home to find his parents viciously murdered by a 'yoof' gang. Being special forces trained he's not taking it lying down and starts killing the gang off one by one. There's some genuine nastiness on screen here with some fairly horrific torture scenes. Its stymied a little by the habit of the production company of sticking 'faces' in the film. The sort of people who you might know if you actually lived in London but for a northern monkey like me they just seemed like bad actors. The other problem is the poor script. Its not dreadful as such, it just over complicates things that don't need over-complicating. My main complaint is the police, who are portrayed as dangerously complacent over crime. There's a whole exposition scene that tries to explain it away but it just makes you realise how efficient Death Wish was at this side of things. Given the times we live in, how hard would it be just to have the police simply be underfunded? Seriously, the film could have trimmed a fair bit away by having the police simply be overwhelmed due to under-funding.
Considering it should be no trouble getting this one piss cheap its worth a look though.
Old 16th August 2017, 09:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2.
Whilst there is still the same self regarding element, I enjoyed this one more than the first.
Baby Groot. Aaawwwwww I want one.
Terrible ST. I don't care about how ironic it is ELO are shit and always will be
Felt at points as if I was watching an intergalactic 'stenders but I laughed a lot so there is that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th August 2017, 09:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Hardware
i also forgot to mention Iggy Pop as radio DJ Angry Bob, I would love him to be like this on BBC Radio 6 Music
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th August 2017, 11:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
i also forgot to mention Iggy Pop as radio DJ Angry Bob, I would love him to be like this on BBC Radio 6 Music
Instead of him sounding like he needs some jump leads? tee hee. Still cannot quite believe that he has outlasted so many of his contemporaries tbh
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th August 2017, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Only the boys of Cannon could make a film about the "sport" of arm wrestling, the story of a truck driver trying to connect with the son he never met at the wishes of his dying wife while fighting her father for custody of the boy while getting ready for wrestling match in Las Vegas.

not going to win any awards but its a fun and enjoyable piece of 80s cannon cheese. 7/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 16th August 2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 17th August 2017, 01:10 AM
Cult Addict

Mad Foxes
f8dc93d147a9fa3504caf69decb48510.jpg

Um...right,O.K what did i just watch.
I've heard others say this is BBFC baiting stuff and it is, in a way, but i think in these enlightened times it would probably get through almost uncut.
The most problematic part is the first rape scene which although unpleasant isn't prolonged.
The rest of the film is just pure concentrated exploitation trash, with sub par clockwork orange nazi gang creeps who like to kill for kicks and a self obsessed idiot 'hero' who is the 70's macho guy personified.

Reading the above synopsis you might come to the conclusion i didn't enjoy the film, but it's just so much of a schlock overdrive that it was incredibly entertaining and irresistible to a cheesy film aficionado.
The lead is such a prick, not really giving much of a shit as his friends get raped and killed, so much so that he seems to happily endanger anyone he meets.

The nazi scum are often laughably inept, often coming across as a hybrid between A-team bad guys and the biker gang from those Eastwood monkey films.
There's also a weird vibe going on where they find it perfectly acceptable to prance around naked and slap each others arses at the drop of a hat because that's what macho nazi freaks do.

But like i said this is pure exploitation, so we get multiple murders, car and bike chases,rape and gratuitous nudity,castration,explosions and even a side helping of kung fu.(topped off with some of the most inept dialogue and appalling dubbing i've ever seen.)
There's also a kinetic energy vibe going on where it's just one mental scene after another without pause.
Great stuff that i found thoroughly entertaining.
The only thing missing was any kind of tension or suspense, oh well can't have everything i guess.
8/10 recommended.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Mad Foxes
Attachment 193759

Um...right,O.K what did i just watch.
I've heard others say this is BBFC baiting stuff and it is, in a way, but i think in these enlightened times it would probably get through almost uncut.
The most problematic part is the first rape scene which although unpleasant isn't prolonged.
The rest of the film is just pure concentrated exploitation trash, with sub par clockwork orange nazi gang creeps who like to kill for kicks and a self obsessed idiot 'hero' who is the 70's macho guy personified.

Reading the above synopsis you might come to the conclusion i didn't enjoy the film, but it's just so much of a schlock overdrive that it was incredibly entertaining and irresistible to a cheesy film aficionado.
The lead is such a prick, not really giving much of a shit as his friends get raped and killed, so much so that he seems to happily endanger anyone he meets.

The nazi scum are often laughably inept, often coming across as a hybrid between A-team bad guys and the biker gang from those Eastwood monkey films.
There's also a weird vibe going on where they find it perfectly acceptable to prance around naked and slap each others arses at the drop of a hat because that's what macho nazi freaks do.

But like i said this is pure exploitation, so we get multiple murders, car and bike chases,rape and gratuitous nudity,castration,explosions and even a side helping of kung fu.(topped off with some of the most inept dialogue and appalling dubbing i've ever seen.)
There's also a kinetic energy vibe going on where it's just one mental scene after another without pause.
Great stuff that i found thoroughly entertaining.
The only thing missing was any kind of tension or suspense, oh well can't have everything i guess.
8/10 recommended.
i remember Red Letter Media doing a review of it on their best of the worst series
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

Annabelle. In which a young married couple inherit the ugliest doll in the history of the world, which to no one's surprise but theirs turns out to be inhabited by a very nasty demon. I avoided this prequel to The Conjuring when it came out on account of very poor reviews, but the recent Annabelle Creation was enjoyable enough to make me interested in seeing this. Oh dearie me, it didn't half deserve the drubbing. This may be the longest 95 minutes I've experienced in a long time. Dull characters, dull story, not many scares, yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn.
Creation was 20 times better than this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!