LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2017, 04:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979

In Germany estate agent Jonathan Harker travels to Transylvania to meet with Count Dracula who wishes to buy property.

This is a class remake of F. W. Murnau's silent 1922 movie based on Bram Stoker novel.

This is another brilliant collaboration between director Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski. Though Kinski dominates the screen as half man half rat appearance and creepy look. Isabelle Adjani's performance as Lucy is her best performance as the Count's lost love.

The film is not fast paced as previous Dracula movies and also comes with eerie perfect background score. Although parts of it is quite dark, it is best watched in the dark. 10 out of 10.
I used to love this film when i had it on video. It took me ages to buy the dvd and i for whatever reason thought it was boring and sold it almost immediately. The pics you posted elsewhere make me want to watch it again.

It's all rather annoying!
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 19th August 2017, 04:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I used to love this film when i had it on video. It took me ages to buy the dvd and i for whatever reason thought it was boring and sold it almost immediately. The pics you posted elsewhere make me want to watch it again.

You have been possessed by the spirit of a certain forum member

Maybe you should re-buy it, just so that you can watch 10 minutes of it and then sell it straight away!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th August 2017, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

I saw it years ago when I was young on BBC 2, could not remember much about it till I watched it last night and I thought it was a great movie
Old 19th August 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult Addict

Watched ABC's of Death 2
another 26 directors make 26 short films around a word they've chosen by the letter they've been given. All of which linked by one recurring idea: Death.
The first is better, however as with the previous you're probably going to find a few bad eggs, not to say that it's all bad. If you're a fan of the modern horror anthology then i'd recommend it, if you're not; then enter at your own risk .
7/10
Old 19th August 2017, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979Although parts of it is quite dark, it is best watched in the dark. 10 out of 10.
Ideally via the BFIs stunning blu which looks gorgeous.
Rik, keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th August 2017, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Ideally via the BFIs stunning blu which looks gorgeous.

Certainly does, nice looking steelbook too
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th August 2017, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran

I love the scene with the family eating dinner in a rat infested town square.

Herzog's Nosferatu is really good! Atmospheric and creepy.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th August 2017, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Well, what a derivitive, plotless, characterless, thrill-less, CGI shitfest that was!

Shit certainly blows up...you just wish your tv would as well.
Old 19th August 2017, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

The Dark Tower. Nikolaj Arcel. 2017.

A young boy in NYC dreams of another world where a sinister man in black is attempting to harness the psychic powers of abducted children to destroy the pivotal Dark Tower, a strange monolith that stands at the centre of time and space and protects the multiple dimensions from demons seeking to devour mankind. Roland Deschain is the last in a long line of mythical figures known as Gunslingers. Think knights of the round table with six shooters. The destinies of Jake and Roland collide in a battle to defeat the man in black and save the world, all worlds.
Nikolaj Arcels Dark Tower sees the long awaited adaptation of Stephen Kings eight novel epic series finally get to the screen, and its a bit of a conundrum. As an adaptation of the novels it plays fast and lose. Adding in a bit here, dropping a bit there. But then it is condensing eight novels some seriously thick buggers (this is King we're talking about) into a 95 minute scifi yarn. And do you know what?? It does a bloody good job of it. The fact that the film feels tight and cohesive and drops enough hints at the backstory and deep mythology is very impressive. The casting is excellent too. Some important characters from the books don't get a look in but the three primary ones, Roland, Jake and Walter aka The Man in Black are portrayed superbly by the always impressive Idris Elba as Roland and the superb Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. With relative newcomer Tom Taylor playing Jake Chambers perfectly.
The film feels more like a traditional sci fi than the novels with technology being largely a relic in the books and here still very relevant. The more fantastical elements of the books also seem to be played down slightly with everything being presented as more rational and explainable. The best parts of the film for me are seeing Elbas fish out of water Roland Deschain tackling modern Manhattan and its a pity this wasn't played on for longer. There are endless easter egss scattered throughout for King fans and ultimately i don't think the film will dissapoint hardcore fans too much. As an adaptation i thought it was rather well done all things considered and as a film in its own right i thought it was a blast.

Last edited by J Harker; 20th August 2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 19th August 2017, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Well, what a derivitive, plotless, characterless, thrill-less, CGI shitfest that was!

Shit certainly blows up...you just wish your tv would as well.
Just pointless. Totally pointless.

Like this? Share it using the links below!