Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2017, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which ones will you be buying on dvd / Blu-ray?
At the very least the top 13: Tragedy Girls, 68 Kill, Better Watch Out, The Villainess, The Bar, Dead Shack, Mayhem, Game Of Death, Victor Crowley, Lowlife, Sequence Break, Cult Of Chucky (already got the upcoming set pre-ordered) and Redwood. Even if some of them are just 2 for £10 DVD jobs.

Thank you both Nos & Dem, very kind.
Old 30th August 2017, 08:49 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Ninja Terminator

High kicking madness as various ninjas fight it out to own a statue which will make them invincible in battle.

I imagine this was made after the writer and director received one too many roundhouse kicks to the head....death threats are delivered by toy robots...the main ninja has a Garfield the cat phone with rolling eyes on pick up...sword handles fire flames...sword handles fire Co2 to put out fire!

Disjointed and confusing from beginning to end, I was none the wiser as to who was a goodie or who was a baddie by the time the end titles rolled. Worth a look.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks Baka ..

I fancy a few of them myself especially the villainess, I go cinema to watch that when it turns up,
Wasn't holding up much hope for leatherface tbh ,
Death note doesn't even look apealing and not exactly had glowing reviews either .
And one or two others as well eg chucky .
BAKA and keirarts like this.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Following on from Baka and recommendations from Frightfest i can add a few other movies to look out for as i spent half the festival in the Discovery screens.

Top picks from what i have seen

Bad Match HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | BAD MATCH*

Mansfield 66/67 HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | MANSFIELD 66/67

To Hell and Back : The Kane Hodder Story HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | TO HELL AND BACK

It Stains the Sand Red HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | IT STAINS THE SANDS RED

Fashionista HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | FASHIONISTA

Our Evil HORROR CHANNEL FRIGHTFEST | OUR EVIL

Other title that i did not watch but were highly recommended from others were Imitation Girl, Freddy/Eddy, Cold Hell, Ruin Me and Meatball Machine Koduko. Lets hope most of the titles get a release of some form as i am still awaiting a few great titles to turn up from last year (They Call Me Jeeg Robot, Bad Blood)

I will list the release dates of titles i know that have UK distribution on another thread.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Final (2010)

A group of high school outcasts get revenge on the students that torment them by inviting them to a party out in the middle of nowhere, dressing up in MTDS's Sunday best then torturing them for the hell of it.

The Final is a film that should have been better, however it skimps on the gore and allows tension to dissipate with lazy resolutions. Whilst one or two sequences work quite well the whole is largely unsatisfying and mainly forgettable. Not sure why i kept this after my first viewing years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Final_FINAL_SD_2D_Skew_CF_1_.jpg (100.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th August 2017, 10:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Ninja Terminator

High kicking madness as various ninjas fight it out to own a statue which will make them invincible in battle.

I imagine this was made after the writer and director received one too many roundhouse kicks to the head....death threats are delivered by toy robots...the main ninja has a Garfield the cat phone with rolling eyes on pick up...sword handles fire flames...sword handles fire Co2 to put out fire!

Disjointed and confusing from beginning to end, I was none the wiser as to who was a goodie or who was a baddie by the time the end titles rolled. Worth a look.
This is why i love cult labs, basically it's an incomprehensible messed up pile of trash.
"Worth a look."
Totally in tune with my sensibilities.

Like Frankie's reviews - it's a ****ed up piece of shit, but it has a certain something.
Screw good acting and coherence as long as it's got that cult spark.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Final (2010)
I don't think I've seen this since I reviewed the DVD when it was released. I've looked at the review I wrote at the time and she liked it a lot more than you, concluding the film part with this paragraph:

"This is a horror film that could have easily been made as a reflexive and self-referential movie along the lines of Wes Craven's Scream trilogy but it stays well away from everything like that and, if it could have a joke, it doesn't. It is utterly serious and all of the characters are cowards, bullies or psychopaths, some with suicidal tendencies so this is a revenge movie without a hint of irony and a couple of scenes that may have you squirming in your seat. I thought it was a tremendously well written and directed film with fine performances by the predominately inexperienced cast, none of whom will be instantly recognisable".

I said this about the extra features:
The commentary with director Joey Stewart and writer/producer Jason Kabolati is a well delivered and informative track as they go through the locations, casting, costume decisions and explaining the plot point that may have escaped your attention on the first viewing.

Sadly, there aren't the deleted scenes and other features that made it to the Lionsgate US release so all that is included on this disc is the theatrical trailer and a trailer reel for other releases from Chelsea Films.

I really didn't like the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, which use the rear surrounds much too heavily, preferring the stereo track for clarity.

All in all, this was my summation,

"There are plenty of poor horror movies set in high school so it is pleasing when one comes along that bucks the trend and The Final is one such film. It is well acted, written and directed and really makes you think about the consequences of your actions and how the little things that you say can have major repercussions. Of course, you don't expect the odd comment here or there to turn someone into a knife wielding psychopath, but if the torment goes on for year after year then it is bound to have a cumulative effect.

Of all the films influenced by the Columbine High School massacre, this is one of the best and is highly recommended for all horror fans."

After reading that and looking at the screenshots I have, which I'll put in the Film Stills thread, I feel like watching it again.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'll be interested to see if you think the same second time around, Nos.

I think i must have enjoyed it a lot more on first viewing.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'll be interested to see if you think the same second time around, Nos.

I think i must have enjoyed it a lot more on first viewing.
It's joining a very long 'to watch' list, but I'll make a note to get the disc and hopefully watch it this week and will try and remember to say if my opinion has changed since 2011 or whenever was when I wrote that review.
Old 31st August 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict

Not seen loads thanks to my It's always sunny in Philedelphia addiction but....

Eggshells

Tobe Hoopers long unseen debut has all the hallmarks of a student film. Excessive sense of self importance? Check. Hugely self indulgent? Check.
But don't let that put you off. Its a film with a lot of midnight movie qualities, including some genuinely impressive camerawork and editing that really show that beneath the student pretensions Hooper was a film-maker with genuine talent and promise. As a time capsule of an era long since gone its probably an essential watch, even if you don't get along with it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!