Old 2nd September 2017, 11:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Shadow Of A Doubt (Hitchcock)
That's one of my favourite Hitchcock films and one in which the 'master of suspense' really turns the screw, deftly playing with the 'is he or isn't he' question about Uncle Charlie and whether 'young Charlie' is the victim of her overactive imagination or not.

I'm also a big fan of Stoker, the superb Park Chan-wook film which was directly inspired by Shadow of a Doubt.

Very bravely, in the past couple of days, I've seen:

Detroit – incredibly powerful and thought-provoking retelling of the riots in 1967 and the night in a motel in which three African-American men were killed. Will Poulter is both terrifying and somewhat compromised as the antagonist, a policeman who is the personification of institutional racism. It's something which gave me a greater understanding of the ongoing tension between many African-Americans and law enforcement in the US and is one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year.

Gettysburg – like Demdike, I don't know whether I'd watch this in one go or over two nights. However, because I was watching the BD, the film doesn't have an intermission or any sort of break to force viewing, so I watched it all in one go. It's a monumental achievement and an engrossing view of one of the most famous battles of the US Civil War.

Splash – I love this film and have done since I first saw it as a water loving child. Tom Hanks is a great comedic actor, he has great chemistry with Daryl Hannah and is more than ably supported by John Candy and Eugene Levy.

Creepozoids – I watched The Haunting of Annie Dyer with the commentary (something which I recommend even if you don't like the movie) and David DeCoteau's commentary was recommended by Creativ Studios on Twitter. Both are great lessons in low budget filmmaking and add a great deal to my understanding and appreciation of those movies.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Death by Invitation (1971)

The wonderful Shelby Leverington plays Lise, a young woman who befriends and works her way in with a well to do family who burned her ancestor, or perhaps her - it's not actually clear - at the stake for witchcraft centuries earlier.

Death by Invitation isn't your typical horror film, it mixes chills with a psychedelic eeriness - the sort of cheap movie making Anna Biller would riff on years later - and it's most memorable scene involves Lise telling the story of a tribe of man eating women to a prospective victim in a scene of weird eroticism.

In truth Death by Invitation doesn't really do much. It's over talky, perhaps due to it's very low budget, but it held me in a transfixed state throughout, or rather Leverington's performance did, in a way that only cheap n' nasty American regional movies of the time can achieve.

I enjoyed Death by Invitation, but it's only recommended to a certain few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Death by Invitation.jpg (64.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Friday The 13th Part 3D (1982, Steve Miner)
I know that the convention here is the preamble before the inevitable slaughter .... but really? Though on the other hand tis nice to see a worse film than Halloween 4
Jason a tad more 'human' in this as well ... and they don't skimp on the 3D, even if the yoyo and popcorn bits were just a smidgen too far imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

7/10

8.5/10
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

7/10

8.5/10
I need to continue with this, I'm up to the 6th and best film, I'll probably watch it tomorrow actually.
keirarts, trebor8273 and iank like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2017, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I need to continue with this, I'm up to the 6th and best film, I'll probably watch it tomorrow actually.
Six is my favourite as well, like how it mimics the fall of the Berlin wall and is a perfect send off for the original crew.
Justin101, keirarts and iank like this.
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mindhorn (2016, Sean Foley)
Julian Barratt (The Mighty Boosh) plays the titular 90s tv detective whom is dragged into the 21st century. An odd beast. I get the impression that by trying to straddle two genres, something slipped down the middle .... I laughed .... just not enough. Shame, as had my expectations raised by a rather amusing trailer
Ho hum.
Fielding's not in it btw

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Mindhorn (2016, Sean Foley)
Julian Barratt (The Mighty Boosh) plays the titular 90s tv detective whom is dragged into the 21st century. An odd beast. I get the impression that by trying to straddle two genres, something slipped down the middle .... I laughed .... just not enough. Shame, as had my expectations raised by a rather amusing trailer
Ho hum.
Fielding's not in it btw
I've been looking forward to this,Julian Barrat look suitably 80's in the trailer...
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Old 2nd September 2017, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I hope you enjoy it Inspector .... it may just be my mood
That F13 3 was just appallingly poor etc
It depresses me sometimes tbh

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!