LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2017, 04:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some of the 'serious' Airport films are just as funny as the Airplane ones.

Witness Charlton Heston entering the plane in flight via the cockpit in Airport 1975 (1974).
I can't remember that particular part of the film, but I do remember it being so serious at times it just about 'jumped the shark' and became unintentionally funny.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 7th September 2017, 08:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

IT. A bunch of kids in the late 80s come to the terrifying realisation that their small town plays home to a demonic entity that feeds on children in part one of an intended 2-part adaptation of the Stephen King horror bestseller. IT has been filmed before, of course, as a TV mini-series back in 1990 (27 years ago, rather deliciously the same length of time in which IT hibernates between each killing spree). What worked then were the kid cast and Tim Curry as the Pennywise the Clown manifestation of IT; what didn't work as well were the adult cast playing the older version of the kids and the general execution, which was often a bit TV Movie lame. The good news is the new kids and the new Pennywise live up to their predecessors, while the film leaves out the adult aspect entirely (presumably for the second film) and the execution is undeniably just all round better, classier, and scarier. The late 80s setting and vibe is also very nice. All in all the new IT is a more than worthy effort and a very entertaining horror flick.
Old 7th September 2017, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A couple of new films which I watched on Amazon Video last night:

John Wick: Chapter 2
The sequel to arguably the most violent film of 2014 is probably the most violent film of 2017 which begins with the titular character wanting to retrieve his car and doing so with extreme prejudice. The film contains some amazing action set pieces, some of them quite wince inducing because of the sheer physicality, using guns, fests and, in the case of the opening sequence, vehicles. It is also an extraordinary audiovisual experience and one which I look forward to watching (and hearing) in UHD in the not too distant future.
I quite enjoyed the first John Wick. But most violent film of 2014?? Really? Didn't seem any more violent than your average Bond flick to me.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Didn't seem any more violent than your average Bond flick to me.
I've only seen it the once (not much of a fan) but I do recall it being much more violent than an average James Bond flick.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 7th September 2017, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

IT (2017)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 7th September 2017, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I've only seen it the once (not much of a fan) but I do recall it being much more violent than an average James Bond flick.

Understatement of the day.
I recommend The Raid 2 then .... as it makes JW2 look like the average Carry On
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2017, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Ebola Zombies

A gang of high kicking martial artist jewel thieves battle it out with zombies in a high rise building. A odd little film but not in a good way. There is plenty of fight action and zombie attacks but it is all done so poorly and in slow motion for the most, had these scene been in real time I doubt the film could fill 60 minutes of screen time. Inbetween the action stuff there are mindless flashbacks of the gang leader sprouting philosophy to the gangs youngest member which appears more like a grooming exercise than the passing on of immortal wisdom. Avoid if you can.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I mean I'm talking Daniel Craig era here not Roger Moore but still. I enjoyed John Wick but it really didn't seem all that violent. Just another action film.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Entertaining Mr Sloane (1970, Douglas Hickcox)

That opening .... on the big screen must gave been something. .... and while Sloane isn't really of top calibre ( it's too stagey in places ... a curse of filmed plays .... you have to let the characters breathe dearie) .... I digress
Beryl Reid was in some weird films in her time ....the archetypal 'game old bird'

Would have like to seen Trevor Howard as the brother personally ... he could have summoned the hollow bluster that Eddie consists of. I love Orton's work and even in this half chewed form the lines are there.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th September 2017, 07:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE ITALIAN JOB (1969)

It was funny seeing Benny Hill in it.As I was watching the movie I kept waiting for the Benny Hill music (Yakkity Sax)to kick in during one of the car chases.They should of added an additional audio track so Yakkity Sax would play during all the car scenes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!