Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2010, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Maniac Cop for the first time, it's a pretty good film and the awesome Tom Atkins is in it, my only gripe is the picture quality, optimum have done thing to the picture and it looks slightyly better that an vhs copy. but good film none the less...
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:15 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave tonight and in all honesty, I really didn't think much of it. It had some really nice moments, but I was expecting a bit more gore (especially with cover art like it has). The DVD was very poor quality too which probably never helped.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Watched The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave tonight and in all honesty, I really didn't think much of it. It had some really nice moments, but I was expecting a bit more gore (especially with cover art like it has). The DVD was very poor quality too which probably never helped.
But...but...the fit redheads...REDHEADS I SAY! REDHEADS!!!

Old 3rd April 2010, 10:18 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Well okay, maybe it wasn't too bad then
Old 4th April 2010, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
But...but...the fit redheads...REDHEADS I SAY! REDHEADS!!!

I watched I spit on your grave last night. Was my 2nd viewing as I last saw it a few years back. Rape scenes were quite bad but the rest wasn't too bad. I guess the remake wont have a rape scene as long as the original or maybe even not that graphic like Last house remake.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 4th April 2010, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Which version did you see?

I have it as part of NoShame's Emilia Miraglia box set and the pq was excellent. Having said that, I was expecting a little bit more from this one too. Enjoyable enough, but I preferred the director's other giallo The Red Queen Kills Seven Times.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Which version did you see?

I have it as part of NoShame's Emilia Miraglia box set and the pq was excellent. Having said that, I was expecting a little bit more from this one too. Enjoyable enough, but I preferred the director's other giallo The Red Queen Kills Seven Times.
I also preferred Red Queen to Evelyn, but do enjoy them both.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I didn't like either film, thought they were both quite poor. Though I'm glad I got the No Shame box before it went OOP.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th April 2010, 02:30 PM
Ex-member

"Daddy's Girl" (2006) - aka "Cravings"

British (indeed a rare Welsh one) 'Horror' film about a troubled psychiatrist looking into the case of a teenage girl who has cut herself and drank her own blood.

Very slow burning and more like a drama/thriller for the first hour this is well acted and well made but the script is unsure on what kind of movie it's meant to be.
Why the (plot wise utterly pointless with no payoff) possible supernatural elements were thrown, for a basically separate sub-plot, into what is otherwise a grounded, serious, real world narrative is a mystery but in general this is an interesting little film that packs in some very bloody moments and some violence in the last half hour...leading to a nicely dark, if motivationally forced at the last minute, ending.

"Jack Says" / "Jack Said" - (2008) - (2009)

Low budget British noir/thriller/gangster films that are confusingly plotted thanks to most of the (produced later) "Jack Said" being a prequel to the earlier "Jack Says"...except for the last part of "Jack Said" which is in fact a sequel to "Jack Says"!

As such no matter which order you watch the film's in...you lose out somehow as far as plot/spoilers go.

Acting is pretty bad, but "Jack Says" is the only one really hurt by it...where some wooden or hammy all to hell performances make viewing the film (already densely, confusingly plotted and presented) a bit of a chore.

"Jack Said" (with Danny Dyer in a support role) is better made and (mostly) better acted and has a more coherent plotline and can at a stretch be, sort of, enjoyed without "Jack Says".
Sadly though you do need "Jack Says" to fully appreciate the story, even though "Jack Says" brings the entire enterprise down.

But really both are not as good as they have bravely strived to be (the hardboiled, graphic novel, noir styling and plotting is rare for a British film) thanks to dubious thespian skills, sometimes annoyingly cliche dialogue and messy plotting.
Nice try though.
A 3rd film is supposedly in production to explain exactly what happened at the end of "Jack Said"...which does end in a partially open-ended fashion.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I didn't like either film, thought they were both quite poor. Though I'm glad I got the No Shame box before it went OOP.
I am not glad that I didn't! Goes for silly money now!

Bah!

Like this? Share it using the links below!