Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179492Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2017, 04:59 AM
Cult Addict

Watched The Witch last night.
The film begins with a family getting banished from their community, so they leave and create a new life outside a forest, the mother becomes pregnant and gives birth to her 5th child, who sadly gets taken by a witch and sacrificed, as the film progresses through the family and their relationships between each other breaks down.
I thoroughly enjoyed this, especially considering the accurate use of dialect, even the kids do it. One thing that makes this film work is how the horror elements are not heavy. Great performances all around and definitely worth watching.
9/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 10th September 2017, 08:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

R.O.T.O.R – 'R.O.T.O.R' stands for something, but I can't remember what. I was too dazzled by the sheer lunacy of it all to take on board minor details like that. Maybe the 'R' stands for 'Robocop' and the 'T' for 'Terminator', because 'ROTOR' does owe something of a debt to both movies. But it is a rip-off like no other, and occupies a dimension next to the likes of 'Samurai Cop' in terms of toxic badness and unintentional surreality. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe something else is going on here. 'ROTOR' is perhaps more in the same league as 'Runaway Nightmare' in that it could equally be a clever, knowing parody of badfilm shitness, or, just shitness. It's all just too... words fail me, but you don't stick a ranch-owning top government scientist / cop next to a female robotics expert who resembles a militant bodybuilder, throw in a plot that switches from 'corporate intrigue involving cinema's shitest marrionette' to 'worlds longest and most inconsequential chase involving Village People-alike android', pepper it with dialogue that sounds like it was written by Mark E Smith on LSD and a few valium and still find time to hurl ominously random seeming shots of objects and doorways at an audience now collectively curled in a foetal position, eyes screwed shut... without knowing what you're doing. “The eternal enigma of ROTOR” is a sentence probably no-one has ever written, but really, someone should. So anyway, yeah, I was impressed. Anyone needing something to hold onto while their grasp of reality is systematically whittled away will be glad to know there's a plot, and you can probably guess that it's about an experimental law enforcement android that goes wrong and ranch-owning top government scientist / cop's attempts to play Frankenstein and take responsibility for the monstrosity he's unleashed etc etc. A woman is chased around by said android, but she ain't no Sarah Connor. And this is no 'Terminator', it's so, so much better! It's also endlessly quotable – that dialogue I mentioned, seriously, I wish I caught more of it, some of it didn't even make grammatical sense. Again, is it all a game? I wish I didn't care.
Old 10th September 2017, 09:02 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thank you, Frankie, for brightening up this Sunday morning with that wonderful review!
Old 10th September 2017, 10:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I've not seen this, is there a decent release?
I got an Italian DVD which is ok for £3.95. The price seems to have jumped up since.
Old 10th September 2017, 11:23 AM
Cult Addict

Wild at heart

David Lynch takes Barry Gifford's crime novel and injects his own sensibilities into proceedings to produce a road trip infused with references to Elvis and the Wizard of Oz. Nicholas Cage plays sailor ripley, a snakeskin jacket wearing rebel who gets out of jail after serving time for manslaughter. He promptly skips parole with his girlfriend Lula and heads on a roadtrip to New Orleans then beyond. Lula's mother, here the seeming personification of the wicked witch of the west, in a demented yet brilliant performance from Diane Ladd (Laura Dern's mother in real life.) She's got connections to Marcelles Santos (an excellent J E Freeman) and is worried that Sailor will spill the beans over the death of Lula's father as he used to work for Santos organisation and was present when he was killed. In a fit of desperation she asks Santos to kill Sailor and gives him permission to kill her current beau Johnnie Farragut, a private detective played by the always great Harry Dean Stanton.
Lynch and Gifford make an excellent combination. Álex de la Iglesia would later adapt another of Giffords novels Perdita Durango. While it was pretty decent its not as good a film as Lynches who adds a level of demented weirdness to proceedings that was sadly missing in Iglesia's film. From the random encounter with the squeaky voiced Freddie Jones in New Orleans, to Willlem dafoe as the utterly psychotic Bobby Peru the film is soaked in Lynchian weirdness that never overwhelms the plot or detracts from the story. Gifford would also later collaborate with Lynch on Lost Highway, a genuinely creepy noir-horror that would inspire some of the later episodes of the recent Twin peaks revival.
Old 10th September 2017, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Excellent while not particularly scary, it is very creepy and the young leads are very good and Bill Skarsgard is super creepy and makes Tim Curry's version look like a scooby doo villain. Might not be the best King movie but for me it is the most "King" like. Looking forward to part 2 but wonder if it will be as good as in the TV series fond the adult parts the weakest. 9/10
Old 10th September 2017, 04:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Stephen King's IT (Chapter One)

On the whole this was very good but not particularly scary (even though a lot of people kept leaving the screen during tense moments). The young cast were all excellent and handled the story and script beautifully. I just had a few little niggles and they are really minor ones. First, they cut some really good bits from the story, I'll give them this, it's a massive book and the film was already a bit long at 135 minutes and another part to come! I didn't really like the soundtrack, it was too bright and too much like a kids adventure film. Finally, I wasn't a fan of the CGI, it made it feel like every other horror film out there.

Definitely see it though, I had great fun and recommend to all.

4/5

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th September 2017, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
R.O.T.O.R – 'R.O.T.O.R' stands for something, but I can't remember what. I was too dazzled by the sheer lunacy of it all to take on board minor details like that. Maybe the 'R' stands for 'Robocop' and the 'T' for 'Terminator', because 'ROTOR' does owe something of a debt to both movies. But it is a rip-off like no other, and occupies a dimension next to the likes of 'Samurai Cop' in terms of toxic badness and unintentional surreality. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe something else is going on here. 'ROTOR' is perhaps more in the same league as 'Runaway Nightmare' in that it could equally be a clever, knowing parody of badfilm shitness, or, just shitness. It's all just too... words fail me, but you don't stick a ranch-owning top government scientist / cop next to a female robotics expert who resembles a militant bodybuilder, throw in a plot that switches from 'corporate intrigue involving cinema's shitest marrionette' to 'worlds longest and most inconsequential chase involving Village People-alike android', pepper it with dialogue that sounds like it was written by Mark E Smith on LSD and a few valium and still find time to hurl ominously random seeming shots of objects and doorways at an audience now collectively curled in a foetal position, eyes screwed shut... without knowing what you're doing. “The eternal enigma of ROTOR” is a sentence probably no-one has ever written, but really, someone should. So anyway, yeah, I was impressed. Anyone needing something to hold onto while their grasp of reality is systematically whittled away will be glad to know there's a plot, and you can probably guess that it's about an experimental law enforcement android that goes wrong and ranch-owning top government scientist / cop's attempts to play Frankenstein and take responsibility for the monstrosity he's unleashed etc etc. A woman is chased around by said android, but she ain't no Sarah Connor. And this is no 'Terminator', it's so, so much better! It's also endlessly quotable – that dialogue I mentioned, seriously, I wish I caught more of it, some of it didn't even make grammatical sense. Again, is it all a game? I wish I didn't care.

Review! Film! In awe F!!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th September 2017, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Wild at heart

David Lynch takes Barry Gifford's crime novel and injects his own sensibilities into proceedings to produce a road trip infused with references to Elvis and the Wizard of Oz. Nicholas Cage plays sailor ripley, a snakeskin jacket wearing rebel who gets out of jail after serving time for manslaughter. He promptly skips parole with his girlfriend Lula and heads on a roadtrip to New Orleans then beyond. Lula's mother, here the seeming personification of the wicked witch of the west, in a demented yet brilliant performance from Diane Ladd (Laura Dern's mother in real life.) She's got connections to Marcelles Santos (an excellent J E Freeman) and is worried that Sailor will spill the beans over the death of Lula's father as he used to work for Santos organisation and was present when he was killed. In a fit of desperation she asks Santos to kill Sailor and gives him permission to kill her current beau Johnnie Farragut, a private detective played by the always great Harry Dean Stanton.
Lynch and Gifford make an excellent combination. Álex de la Iglesia would later adapt another of Giffords novels Perdita Durango. While it was pretty decent its not as good a film as Lynches who adds a level of demented weirdness to proceedings that was sadly missing in Iglesia's film. From the random encounter with the squeaky voiced Freddie Jones in New Orleans, to Willlem dafoe as the utterly psychotic Bobby Peru the film is soaked in Lynchian weirdness that never overwhelms the plot or detracts from the story. Gifford would also later collaborate with Lynch on Lost Highway, a genuinely creepy noir-horror that would inspire some of the later episodes of the recent Twin peaks revival.
Ever read the novel K? It's very noir ...sparsely written. You can see where Dave could inject himself into it alright ...imo

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th September 2017, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict

Like a few above, went to see It today.
The film opens with Georgie and his boat and the first encounter with Pennywise and well you'll know the rest. It focuses on a group of social outcasts who band together to stop It from feeding of the children of Derry.
From that specific scene with Georgie at the beginning you are immediately aware that this is nothing like the TV movies.p, in terms of violence and overall tone. The cast is great for the most part, however Richies character unfortunately wears thin after a while with all the sex jokes he makes which gets tedious after a couple of them. But that's not important. What is important is that Bill Skarsgard does a fantastic job of playing Pennywise, despite not being humorous which doesn't detriment his portrayal (personally I still have love for Tim Curry more). Overall one of my favorite films of thos year.
9/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!