Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2017, 11:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Im not sure if I have posted this up, last time I watched this movie I just came out of hospital and was on strong painkillers

The Lost Continent 1968.

A small ship carrying explosive materials and some passengers encounter problems and a small mutiny abandoned ship, the remaining passengers and crew sail through a storm and land on a island inhabited by some centuries old crew of a Spanish Galleon.

This movie is like the inspiration of Death Ship (1980) but there are no ghosts but killer sea monsters and and weird inhabitants of a island that Robinson Crosue was glad he didn't land there. I wouldn't say that this is a classic movie but was good in parts, it was made by Hammer Production company and based on the book by Dennis Wheatley.
Old 11th September 2017, 02:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sisters 1972

A journalist witnesses a murder in the flat across from her but the police don't believe her and starts looking into the occupier who was a siamese twin.

First time I have ever seen this movie all the way through, Brian Depalma's who dunnit movie the way Hitchcock would do it.

From start to finish I was gripped, Margot Kidder's acting in this film is brilliant. The film may seem like a, low budget horror but don't let that put you off, this is a classic movie. 10+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_kF8bq4r6ymAcQc5afzsF4fMxFKn.jpg (20.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 11th September 2017, 06:40 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ever read the novel K? It's very noir ...sparsely written. You can see where Dave could inject himself into it alright ...imo
A while back. I keep meaning to go back to his novels.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:03 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I found this review of Lynch (one) which I wrote before its release when I was given a DVD-R for review purposes; I should really buy the real thing:

When David Lynch released Inland Empire to reviews acclaiming it as brilliant and the work of a genius, it was shrouded in secrecy with the famously publicity shy director refusing to explain it and not providing a commentary or any such supplementary material for the DVD. Made as a series of ‘experiments’ and with the cast only receiving a few pages of screenplay at a time – it was shot without a finished screenplay – many fans, myself included, wondered how this project came about.

Luckily we now have this DVD which acts as a loose making of, showing the maverick auteur in abandoned Polish factories to take photographs, talking to his fans on davidlynch.com about the weather in LA, taking a call from Jeremy Irons and going through scenes with members of the cast, including Laura Dern. It is clear that Lynch was working very much on the hoof, inventing scenes just before they were to be shot and explaining to the Polish crew where he wants doorways cutting in the set.

It is clear he has a vision in his mind of where he wants this project to end up, but won’t tell anyone else exactly what is going on, or where it is going to end up. The secrecy and sense of oddness in the film is reflected in the way it was made and even in this documentary, directed and edited by blackANDwhite.

This shows how Lynch’s mind works – he is a very intense man and, though he will get on his hands and knees to help with the art decoration, you get the sense that there is an awful lot going on in that brain of his that he can’t (or maybe won’t) share with anyone else.

As someone who thought Inland Empire was a fantastic film that improves with every viewing, this provided a fascinating insight into how it was made and made me wish I had a spare three hours that evening to watch the film just to see if Lynch (one) cast any light on what exactly goes on in Inland Empire.

The Disc
Unfortunately, I was only provided with a DVD-R so there were none of the extra features and I can only guess that the AV quality will be the same on the retail version.

The Picture
Shot with DV cameras and occasionally smaller recording devices placed in rooms, this isn’t a visual extravaganza but sits well with the aesthetic of the film of which it is documenting. There are interesting camera angles and in terms of providing an insight, it does its job and that’s all we can ask or expect.

The Sound
An unspectacular dialogue dominated soundtrack which picks up the exchanges well and records the utterances from David Lynch (who sounds more and more like Jimmy Stewart the more I listen to him!) well, presenting everything clearly.

Final Thoughts
This is really only going to appeal to those who liked Inland Empire, that much is a given. It would provide a valuable insight into the way that David Lynch works if you think that he works like this all the time – he doesn’t. If you haven’t seen Inland Empire then this would be of no interest to you whatsoever but, if you’re a fan of Lynch’s work and haven’t seen the film, then it will be a good move to pick up both that film and this.

Running at 85 minutes, this would be a great DVD extra but, as a standalone piece, it’s really only for the most devout Lynch fans that have seen Inland Empire several times and intend to watch it many more. As such, the £15.99 RRP does seem a little on the high side, for what it is I’d expect it to retail for about half that.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
He's like that all the way through the book and every time he says something inappropriate the gang says "beep beep Richie" which for some reason was omitted from this script so when Pennywise said it to Richie in the Niebolt Street house it jarred a little and didn't make sense!

Richie is one of my favourites in the gang though, him and Beverley.
To be honest it has been about 7 years since I read it, so memory is rather fuzzy about richies character in the book.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 11th September 2017, 11:25 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

The Lost Continent 1968.

This movie is like the inspiration of Death Ship (1980)
I really like The Lost Continent but truly see no comparison to Death Ship at all, except there's a ship involved.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like The Lost Continent but truly see no comparison to Death Ship at all, except there's a ship involved.
It was like two Captains ignoring warning signs, trying to control everything, abandoning ship, instead of find a ship they find a island out of nowhere.....hope that makes sesnse
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Day The Earth Moved (1974, Robert Lewis, TVM)
Jackie Cooper, Stella Stevens and a bewhiskered Cleavon Little star in a cautionary tale of aerial photography and bloodymindedness .
Only really watching this due the shockkkkking print .... faded to a fuzzy sepia throughout ....it's like the good old bad old days of nth gen boots

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 11th September 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: sheeesh these beer goggles arent prescription for sure!!
Old 11th September 2017, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Urban Ghost Story (1998)

A rather nifty little low budget ghost story set in a run down Scottish apartment block. In this instance the pittance of a budget really doesn't matter as it means the film makers especially director Geneviève Jolliffe have to be creative and it really works in the films favour as the typical jump scares are out and tension and things that go bump in the night are in. Think The Haunting (1963) albeit in a council flat, rather than Insidious.

I won't go into the story as i think it best to let it all unfold as you watch. I hate to keep saying low budget but the film was made for a paltry £250k yet sports two terrific set pieces worthy of far bigger productions, one of them palm whiteningly gripping, and also an excellent cast including Jason Connery, Nicola Stapleton, James Cosmo and a pre-Pippin Billy Boyd. Special mention must go to Stephanie Buttle as the under pressure mother and unknown Heather Ann Foster as her daughter and the centre of the ghostly goings on.

The film isn't flashy, it's grim and gritty, a fantastic example of grittish horror as someone on here once coined it with a quietly effective and moving finale.

Urban Ghost Story is a film i really recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3208784.jpg (24.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th September 2017, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remember liking that. Don't have enough Us anyhow

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!