Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2017, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Gun of the Black Sun

It isn't every day you get to see craggy faced Richard Lynch and ex-footballer Ian Wright in a turdfest of the highest stink but today was my day...

A middle-aged bloke gets caught up with Neo Nazis in Romania who are after a Luger pistol carrying the power of The Spear of Destiny. This is plain dire but carries within it the seed of a good idea in the constant references to The Iron Guard, the Romanian Christian death cult of WWII. Had this been explored more we could have had Angels and all sorts of mystic bollocks that The Iron Guard believed in as they tried to create not just the superman but the transcended superman in their freaky deaky mix of Ultranationalism and Orthodox Christianity mixed with fascist ideas.

I must confess to being a bit of an Iron Guard junky, a genuine cult who worshipped death and self sacrifice and dedicated to St.Michael. Of course they were evil scum but the sheer oddness of them appeals to some traditionalist part of my brain that likes an airing every now and then.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Kickboxer (1989, DiSalle/Worth)
This will be the first time I've actually watched this. Had it on in the background whilst babysitting yes but still ...
Enjoying it so far.
Great film. The recent reboot is worth a look too, JCVD looks like he is having great fun in it.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Loving the ST.

I keep expecting David Bellamy to appear though ...

I've seen Vengeance. Yes tis worth a look certainly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th September 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This is some training regime Cooperish in places
Oooh the bad guys are pricks as well. Shaping up nicely tis

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th September 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
This is some training regime
Oooh the bad guys are pricks as well. Shaping up nicely tis
Are your local palm trees going to be safe?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, I think I have literally split my sides seeing JCVD dance.
No high kicking for this teuchter ....

[B]
Old 13th September 2017, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nascent romance, fighting, scenery and anal torture ... this film has it all.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 13th September 2017, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Gun of the Black Sun

It isn't every day you get to see craggy faced Richard Lynch and ex-footballer Ian Wright in a turdfest of the highest stink but today was my day...

A middle-aged bloke gets caught up with Neo Nazis in Romania who are after a Luger pistol carrying the power of The Spear of Destiny. This is plain dire but carries within it the seed of a good idea in the constant references to The Iron Guard, the Romanian Christian death cult of WWII. Had this been explored more we could have had Angels and all sorts of mystic bollocks that The Iron Guard believed in as they tried to create not just the superman but the transcended superman in their freaky deaky mix of Ultranationalism and Orthodox Christianity mixed with fascist ideas.

I must confess to being a bit of an Iron Guard junky, a genuine cult who worshipped death and self sacrifice and dedicated to St.Michael. Of course they were evil scum but the sheer oddness of them appeals to some traditionalist part of my brain that likes an airing every now and then.
Er, SOLD

[B]
Old 13th September 2017, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Cell211

97 on rotten tomatoes
7.7 on IMDb

Wow what a film , not you're usual predictable prison riot , with several turns and characters you care about .
A new guard is getting shown around before his first day and gets caught in the riot ,
The riot start more or less from the very beginning,
And last the whole film, the new guard has to concentrate on not getting found out and pretend he a new inmate , how far will he go and at what cost ?

Just watched on amazon firestick never heard of it before to day , I like prison film so thought I give it a try.
A highly recommended film that's grabs you and keeps you on your toes and one I will be seeking to buy very soon .
If you have netflix check out kidnapped. I believe some of the same team worked on it. I Highly recommend it.
gag and Demoncrat like this.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:33 PM
Cult Addict

IT

I was hoping I wouldn't have to write this. But....

It is a film of two halves.

The first half is a surprisingly competent drama. The child actors are uniformly great and the script is well crafted with some great dialogue. Some things are actually a little improved. Henry Bowers for example is a far more plausible character. Previously he was written as a generic greaser thug in the TV movie adaptation and in the book a repressed homosexual with psychopathic tendencies. Here he's a loathsome character however we see in his interactions with his father that he's trapped in a cycle of abuse. He's a more relateable character. The changes made make sense and the film has made an R-Rating pay off which means we should stop getting deluged with PG13 fluff.

However....

It's not scary.

Pennywise isn't at all threatening, there is little build up to scares and when he does let loose so does the computer effects. It also didn't help that it felt I was listening to scooby doo whenever he spoke but the overuse of CGI and the LOUD NOISE jump scares ware thin. I think it really made me appreciate how good Tim Curry is. Given he was given a lot less to work with his performance trounces this one easily.

Overall IT is a good movie. Hell, in places it's a great movie. Its technically better than the TV version for sure. It's just a bad horror movie. It's just very weird to say as a horror I found myself preferring Annabelle Creation. I did not see that coming.

Like this? Share it using the links below!