LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2017, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Baby Driver (2017)

**** out of *****

Is this a first time watch or a rewatch? I loved it but I’m nervous that it won’t hold up on subsequent watches.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th September 2017, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Is this a first time watch or a rewatch? I loved it but I’m nervous that it won’t hold up on subsequent watches.
First watch. I think I can already say that it's my favourite Edgar Wright film. And considering he made Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, that's really saying something.

Mindhorn (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 20th September 2017, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Christopher Reeve IS Superman forget that guy from Man Of Steel who has the personality and charisma of a plank of wood, Reeve nails the character perfecty and we have none of that edgy/dark crap of MoS and BvsS what we have is a fun and charismatic movie. 9/10
Old 20th September 2017, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Age Of Heroes (2011, Adrian Vitoria)
Dyer and Bean team up again to fight some Jerries in WWII. If it had been maybe Jack O'Connell instead ... but he did something that took me right back to Human Traffic and out of the film. Decent enough if you could care less

The Sender (1998, Richard Pepin)
Once in a while .... a movie comes along that just is. Accept it ... to struggle would end in a padded cell. No it's not the one with the killer telepath. That classic makes sense.
Recommended ... to those who like a dare. And to think I passed over it many times .... sigh. DTV Film of the year.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th September 2017, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Age Of Heroes (2011, Adrian Vitoria)
Dyer and Bean team up again to fight some Jerries in WWII. If it had been maybe Jack O'Connell instead ... but he did something that took me right back to Human Traffic and out of the film. Decent enough if you could care less
Feel free to let me know what happens to Bean in this film.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 21st September 2017, 07:35 AM
Cult Addict

mother!

The first thing to bare in mind when you go see mother! is that this is definitely NOT your run of the mill horror movie. The fact that people are walking in expecting another conjuring is probably down to bad marketing. It is a horror film though. It's a Horror the same way that The Fountain is a science fiction film & Noah is a biblical epic. I should also add that these two pictures are probably the closest thing to mother! in director Darren Aronofsky's back catalogue. He has a lot of things to say and its all best framed here in terms of a Horror movie.
There's no serial killers, Demons or witches in mother! The horror here is people. Basically the way people attach themselves to causes, ideas or belief systems and are prepared to defend these things to the death. It's main theme seems to be about creators, primarily the artist and his relationship to his audience. The need for the Artist to engage with his audience and the conflict with the need for solitude and the effect on the loved ones in the creators life. It also looks at creation myth, dealing with the cycle of birth, creation and then death. It also deals with themes of ecological destruction and even religion with definite nods to things like original sin, Caine & Abel and even a depiction of the eucharist framed as a desecration.
Pretty heavy going then. It pretty much explains the wildly mixed reactions to the film. I've talked about marmite films before but this is probably the most extreme case of that so far. I personally love it. Aside from cure for wellness, another film I praised simply for going against the grain of the cliche ridden Hollywood machine, mother! deserves to be a bigger hit than it is. It feels genuinely fresh and original yet at the same time, the audiences out there seem to only seek familiarity so its quite depressing.
Given that the first 30-40 minutes feel more like a comedy of manners, with the horror more as a subtle, slowly creeping menace its a tough sell for people used to scares placed regularly based on some mathematical formulae. mother! is a genuine nightmare, if you've ever had one of those loss of control dreams where everything seem to spin out of control then you will probably know where i'm coming from. I'm recommending it but I won't guarantee you'll like it.
Old 21st September 2017, 08:43 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
mother!
I was going to go on Monday after work but I felt pretty run down so thought it a bad idea, I think I'm glad I did now. I'm planning to go and see it on Monday afternoon as I have a day off work, I'll be fully focused on it then!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st September 2017, 08:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I was going to go on Monday after work but I felt pretty run down so thought it a bad idea, I think I'm glad I did now. I'm planning to go and see it on Monday afternoon as I have a day off work, I'll be fully focused on it then!
It really needs to be seen.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 21st September 2017, 07:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

SNAPSHOT
A girl quits her humdrum, poorly paid hairdresser job and enters a murky world of advertising, but soon finds that someone wants her dead, in this Aussie thriller. Alternatively titled THE DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN, this has nothing to do with Carpenter's classic or any of its ilk. Took a chance on this one and really enjoyed it, mainly thanks to an excellent central performance from Sigrid Thornton. Slasher fans should look elsewhere though.

THE RECKONING
Nicol Williamson stars as a Liverpool born lad of Irish descent, whose hard drinking, fast living, womanising life takes a further hit when the death of his father seems to have involved foul play.
I was completely hooked on this from the word go, mainly due to Williamson's powerful performance in the title role - he totally dominates every scene he's in ( which is pretty much the entire film ). Great to see Indicator uncovering seldom seen UK gems such as this ( with more to come, hopefully ). Recommended.
Old 22nd September 2017, 01:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Driver (1978)

If you’ve seen Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver, and loved it as I did, then you need to see this if you haven't, as it's one of the film's main influences.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!