All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2017, 05:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DEATH SHIP – Surprised I'd never seen this one before – when I was a kid, I mentally linked it with 'Das Boot' for some reason, and that really put me off, as I'm no Mark Corrigan when it comes to my viewing habits as I'm sure you're all aware. My loss back then became my gain yesterday afternoon, 'cos 'Death Ship', well, I wouldn't call it 'great', but it is a fine example of old early eighties creakiness and is actually a delight in places. Cranky George Kennedy is a pissed off cruise liner captain about to pass on the mantle to his second in command when disaster strikes in the form of a big menacing ship full of Nazi ghosts (or something like that). Cruiser gets rammed by said Nazi battle ship, protags escape in a boat in a hilarious “hours later, after all that crisis at sea stuff happened off screen cos we didn't have the $ to film it” scene, climb aboard Nazi death liner and so begins what's basically a novelty 'haunted house' type scenario. 'Death Ship', like so many of its ilk, does drag a little in places, but it also features a lot of what made its era great – bursts of ominous electronics on soundtrack, a smattering of prosthetic corpses and mouldy faces, sudden lurches into showboating effects-based non-sequiturs like that random shower of blood, slo-mo bits, acidy flashbacks / forwards / sideways, basically the whole grindhouse bag of tricks. It's pretty dumb, but, whilst the hokeyness sets it on a certain level, it does manage to work up some creepy atmosphere by virtue of its derelict location, which is all rusty machinery and dark, oppressive corridors. The camerawork is pretty good, whilst directing, acting, editing etc etc are either set to 'bland' or 'hysterical'. The whole is greater and more charming than the skronky parts. All in all, senseless fun to fill the void while your frontal lobes are taking a nap.
Sir!! I applaud thee!!!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
SNAPSHOT
A girl quits her humdrum, poorly paid hairdresser job and enters a murky world of advertising, but soon finds that someone wants her dead, in this Aussie thriller. Alternatively titled THE DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN, this has nothing to do with Carpenter's classic or any of its ilk. Took a chance on this one and really enjoyed it, mainly thanks to an excellent central performance from Sigrid Thornton. Slasher fans should look elsewhere though.

THE RECKONING
Nicol Williamson stars as a Liverpool born lad of Irish descent, whose hard drinking, fast living, womanising life takes a further hit when the death of his father seems to have involved foul play.
I was completely hooked on this from the word go, mainly due to Williamson's powerful performance in the title role - he totally dominates every scene he's in ( which is pretty much the entire film ). Great to see Indicator uncovering seldom seen UK gems such as this ( with more to come, hopefully ). Recommended.

Oooooh The Reckoning. Not since a late night showing on telly. SOLD !!!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who Dares Wins (1982, Ian Sharp)
Had to get the taste of that tepid Age ... out of my eyes. Basically an extended Professionals episode, watch it with The Bullshitters as supporting feature , Why didn't we make more films like this? Pure Exploitation from the fake Profs main theme to the wacky stunts (the boat leap ) and the leaps in logic. Patrick Allen. It's the only British Polizetesschei .... ah I never remember how to spell that

Film!!!

[B]
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Bounty Killer (1965)

After being on the receiving end of some hard knocks, mild mannered Willie Duggan decides the way to make some quick money and provide for his new love is to become a bounty hunter.

The Bounty Killer is a genuinely surprising film. Playing out quite differently to other films of the period. Dan Duryea is excellent in what is essentially a character study of how a man's personality changes through the terrible business of killing. Duryea isn't someone i'd normally associate with nice roles as Duggan is in the film's first few acts but he carries it off with charm and ease as he falls in love with saloon singer Audrey Dalton. His transformation from character actor to leading man, effortless. His metamorphosis into a sawn off shotgun wielding killing machine is shocking to witness.

The film isn't perfect though. In truth Duryea is, at 55, too old for the role and especially as a lover for Dalton who was 26 years his junior and the final scene is predictable and you'll see it coming (perhaps not who though) a good ten minutes before it happens.

Oh, finally. Look out for Larry 'Buster' Crabbe, from the old Universal Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials.

On the whole, The Bounty Killer is an excellent western that i really enjoyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Bounty-Killer-Poster.jpg (83.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, you had me at Duryea.
Sold.

[B]
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ah, you had me at Duryea.
Sold.
If you are genuinely interested D, the Odeon dvd is currently £3 at HMV. I used it as an add on item a while back to guarantee free postage on something else.

I've no doubt this film was better than the main event.

https://store.hmv.com/fopp/hollywood...-bounty-killer
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sold then. I'll nip on tomorrow. Ta!

[B]
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Sold then. I'll nip on tomorrow. Ta!
I wouldn't guarantee it will be instore.

But it might be. If you hit the link you'll notice it's a Fopp promotion on HMV's website.

https://store.hmv.com/fopp/hollywood...ge=1&view=grid
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, meant at library.
Ordering feck all on this phone
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sex Lives of the Potato Men (2004)

Johnny Vegas, Mackenzie Crook and Mark Gatiss star in this modern take on the classic British sex comedy from the 70's.

Following a great credits sequence with an extended version of Motorhead's Ace of Spades playing, the film goes downhill very quickly and it soon becomes clear that vulgarity is not the same as good old smut. (For all the crude sex jokes, there's absolutely no nudity whatsoever in this film.) Whilst the three leads are all okay, the material they have to work with is an embarrassment that barely raises a titter, whilst the film itself plays out like a poorly put together series of sketches rather than a cohesive plot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sex-Lives-Of-The-Potato-Men-Posters.jpg (43.4 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!