Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2017, 11:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If i were still a regular cinema goer i'd definitely be up for Paddington 2.

I'll get my coat!
duffle coat of course...???

Old 7th October 2017, 08:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If i were still a regular cinema goer i'd definitely be up for Paddington 2.

I'll get my coat!
Don't forget your marmalade sandwich in case you get hungry during the film!

I was in two minds about Paddington 2, because the first one doesn't demand a sequel, but it's such a fund of movie that I could (and probably will) happily watch more of the same.
Old 7th October 2017, 10:10 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight's watches

Cannibal Ferox

A woman with brother and a friend go to the amazon to disprove the idea of cannibalism. Their car gets stuck so they walk on foot to the tribe, they then find 2 men; one wounded who take them their but try to hold off by warning them that these people are dangerous. Turns out the tribesmen are angry after one the 2 men tortured and killed for not finding emeralds. As well as this it turns out the torturer screwed the mob over. The tribesmen return and torture the people.

Umberto Lenzi's other delving into cannibalism is not too bad, I haven't watched it in a few years so it felt fresh in my mind. The acting is good, soundtrack dull but not terrible and the voice dubbing is ok.(of course though it was The vipco release so can't say much on quality).

6/10

Xtro

A man is playing with his son and dog, after throwing a stick in the air he's abducted by aliens, a few years later and an alien lands on earth, killing a couple and then impregnating a woman and birthing the father from the beginning, who then goes to find his wife and son and try to bring them back to the alien world by giving his son his powers.

For a low budget sci fi horror film; it looks great. The effects are amazing, plenty of memorable moments. However the acting is meh and the soundtrack is annoying and at times sounds like someone passed out in the keyboard of a synthesizer.

7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 8th October 2017, 02:27 PM
Cult Addict

Watched a couple of Giallo films which i'd not seen before.

5 Dolls for an August moon

five-dolls-for-an-august-moon (1).jpg

A lesser Bava film, but one which i found entertaining.
As with a lot of Giallo films the story doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense and the ending doesn't really hold together but there is just something about the genre that keeps drawing me back.

This one is about a group of people all brought together on an island to get smashed and some scientist guy, who has invented a new 'Resin' that everybody wants the formula for because it will make a shit tonne of money.

Just an excuse to show some mental dancing, bad fashion, a few boobs, kill off a load of people then and play some groovy music.

Because it's Bava though he manages to sneak in some stylish shots and camera angles/ lighting.

Edwige Fenech shows her face as usual, here sporting some really big hair and doing some dancing.

I enjoyed it but it's all a bit giallo lite.

dolls.jpg

7/10

Eyeball

51SNWPC457L._SY445_.jpg

Umberto Lenzi's optic bothering Giallo was another first watch, like '5 dolls' i found it enjoyable but nothing really special.
This one is not as stylish as Bava's film and spends a lot of time on police procedure, which is something that always is guaranteed to slow down a Giallo film.

This ones about a coach load of tourists going around Barcelona, who are getting offed one by one by a killer who likes to dress in a red plastic raincoat, said killer also has a thing about eyes and routinely gouges out the left eyeball as a trophy.

Anyway there are some good scenes in this, a murder on a ghost train, a photographer's death and the conclusion stood out, but all of the killings were very similar, and some of them are quickly over where the director should have created a bit more tension.

As usual with this genre, there's the odd tit shot and a groovy theme to make up for any plot shortcomings.

eyeball2.jpg

7/10

I think both of these films i will probably grow to like more on further viewings,
I enjoyed both but i think i was expecting a little more than they delivered.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:33 PM
Cult Master

tumblr_static_26osk19e9qck84sgcwogsw88w.jpg

Saw Bladerunner 2049 at the cinema last night amazing film i was so nervous going in that it would be a disaster but it totally surprised me in the best possible way. Visually stunning the look and feel was spot on and the music holy shit fantastic. Gosling and Leto were both perfect casting choices but would of loved to have seen more of Leto such a wonderful actor Harrison Ford was great as usual bringing a little humour into it without trivialising the film or making it feel forced. Im not going to talk plot or anything just go see this film if you are a fan of Bladrunner at all. I cant wait for the Blu Ray release to enjoy it at home our cinema has the worst seats and its a long film so i cant wait to rewatch it in the comfort of my own home. I also wanted to punch some hipster asshole who shouted out at the end that was shit. I heard him outside saying there was not enough action or explosions

9/10
Old 8th October 2017, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 197381

Saw Bladerunner 2049 at the cinema last night amazing film i was so nervous going in that it would be a disaster but it totally surprised me in the best possible way. Visually stunning the look and feel was spot on and the music holy shit fantastic. Gosling and Leto were both perfect casting choices but would of loved to have seen more of Leto such a wonderful actor Harrison Ford was great as usual bringing a little humour into it without trivialising the film or making it feel forced. Im not going to talk plot or anything just go see this film if you are a fan of Bladrunner at all. I cant wait for the Blu Ray release to enjoy it at home our cinema has the worst seats and its a long film so i cant wait to rewatch it in the comfort of my own home. I also wanted to punch some hipster asshole who shouted out at the end that was shit. I heard him outside saying there was not enough action or explosions

9/10
Not enough explosions, he sounds like the voice of reason to me. There can never be enough explosions in a film, it is where Bergman went wrong.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Not enough explosions, he sounds like the voice of reason to me. There can never be enough explosions in a film, it is where Bergman went wrong.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Not really I've seen films action packed and got bored and turned of .
And seen films that offer very little, slow and not upto much and have highly enjoyed .
trebor8273 likes this.

Last edited by gag; 8th October 2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Are you Michael Bay in disguise?

Old 8th October 2017, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And more what if Michael Bay directed on here as well inc Spongebob, shrek Teletubbies, Frozen ..

https://youtu.be/0px_bc-6X8k

Like this? Share it using the links below!