Like Tree179607Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2017, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

**** out of *****

The Foreigner (2017)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 11th October 2017, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GATE/GATE II

Was suppose to be cleaning up my house and came across these DVD and that was the end of the cleaning
Old 11th October 2017, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Last Shark

A complex examination of reality verses insanity curiously modelled on JAWS. Wonderful stuff.
Old 11th October 2017, 09:21 PM
Ex-member

Loved this remake 10/10 (now hides behind sofa) and hated the Original....0/10..Shock!! Horror!!
Old 11th October 2017, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Legend of Hell

Sadly, a not particularly successful medieval fantasy from German God of Gore, Oalf Ittenbach. Fortunately not all the budget was spent on peasent smocks and pitchforks and Ittenbach unleashes gore, slaughter and mayhem every ten minutes or so. As always with Ittenbach, the gore is fantastic and worth watching just for its own sake.

Last edited by Make Them Die Slowly; 11th October 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I always return to Premutos when at a loose end.

Currently in the land beyond beyond with a squeaky genie, a bald magician and some fairly caucasian totty .... just around the corner lurking are Dynamation monsters. Yup tis ....
The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad (1958)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2017, 05:35 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
GATE/GATE II

Was suppose to be cleaning up my house and came across these DVD and that was the end of the cleaning
I like the attitude!
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th October 2017, 07:21 AM
Cult Addict

Sunday

Rabbit

A woman has visions of her missing twin sister being pursued by masked men through a forest before being captured at a strange diner. The visions become so powerful she collapses. Taking time out from her medical studies, she heads home to search for her sister as she's convinced that her twin is still alive.
Rabbit is a strange film. Compared by the festival to Jane Campion doing Martyrs. The journey into the outback is a strange almost Lynchian journey with strange characters that would not be out of place in something like fire walk with me. It also has shades of Ozploitation vampire picture thirst and shades of Gialli pictures. Its got a brilliant soundtrack and cinematography. Its not for all tastes but Its well worth giving it a chance.

Dave made a maze

Already seen it and reviewed it here. It stands up well to repeat viewing and its a lot of fun seeing it with an audience.

The call of Charlie

A couple set up a blind date for their friend with a work colleague who also happens to be a Lovecraftian deity. Its a nice little short that plays as a darkly funny comedy of manners.

M.F.A

Tackling the Thorny issue of campus rape. Clint Eastwoods daughter Francesca Eastwood plays an art student called Noelle who is raped at a party. The rape and her treatment after the assault triggers a deep rage in her and after accidentally killing her rapist and getting away with it she decides to go Ms.45 on Campus Rapists.
Its a somewhat flawed movie, especially the ending. However its still worth watching. Clint's daughter seems to have had a few acting tips from her dad and its almost unnerving at places. Its also an interesting look at the way colleges in America handle these sort of crimes as it feels like the film-makers have taken time to research the subject.

Nimmer

Baffling but beautiful short about a man whose wife is trapped on a lighthouse. He attaches loads of strings to birds so he can fly over to her.

Borley Rectory

A labour of love for its director. Made over 6 years with crowd funding. Its a mixture of animation, green screen and compositing that details the dark (and very real) history of one of Britain's most haunted houses and the people who passed through it. It's a genuinely unique and fascinating film that comes highly recommended.

Mohawk

Ted Geoghegan, director of a previous Grimmfest favourite we are still here delivers a brutal revenge western. The film presents a well researched and compassionate depiction of the Mohawk who are siding with the British in the war of 1812. Eamon Farron in a huge departure from his role as the evil scumbag Richard Horne in Twin peaks series 3 plays a British soldier in a mutually respectful three way relationship with a Mowhawk woman and a Brave. Apparently this was not uncommon in Mowhawk culture. After the Brave launches an attack on an American base the three are pursued by American Troops through Mohawk territory.
Along with Rabbit and 68 kill this is one of the best of the festival. Its a taut, tragic pursuit movie that refuses to default to the black hat/white hat model that a film like this might fall back on. The British are not the sneering redcoats that they are in junk like The patriot. The Mohawk are not portrayed as brutal savages and the Americans, who unusually here are the closest the film comes to villains are plausible characters with understandable motivations. Seriously, check this out.

Attack of the Adult babies.

Hugely divisive. Dominic Brunt's latest channels early Peter Jackson and Troma to deliver 90 minutes of astonishing bad taste. Two step kids and their mother/step mother have to head to a mansion to recover some files as their father / step-father is held hostage. At the mansion various rich men are roleplahying adult babies. However something seems odd, especially when they develop pig noses. The film then introduces aliens, masonic cults, lots of shit and gore as the film goes for a level of humour that might make fans of Chubby Browns UFO the movie blush. I'm not ashamed to say it made me chuckle. Then again I'm messed up. There were walk-outs however and my friend Adam who also goes to these festivals absolutely hated the film and refused to go to the afterparty because he thought he might start something with Brunt! (i'm not even kidding). I reckon some people here might get a kick out of this so long as you like deeply purile humour.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:34 AM
Cult Addict

Blade runner

whats left to say? A film as important to modern science fiction cinema and modern cyberpunk as any I can think of, made as a big budget, high concept art movie. Also a terrible adaptation of the Phillip K Dick source material. A film where there's something like seven different cuts as the definitive one took 20 years to reach us. Its a film that tanked heavily at the box office but found its audience over time. Admittedly a mess in many ways yet manages to find moments of poetic beauty in-between the melancholy. Its one of my favourite Sci-fi pictures for its world building alone and in spite of its flaws it still works somehow.

Blade Runner 2049

While doing nothing original, Blade Runner 2049 still does it well enough to be recommended. Part of the problem is that since the original came out, the cyberpunk genre has been well mined, to the point that the stuff that might have felt more fresh back in the mid eighties now feels like you've seen it before.
However. It's still a great movie. Visually its one of the most jaw-dropping things I've seen and needs to be seen on the biggest screen you can see it on. Ryan Gosling is astonishing, but I'll say no more as you need to go into this blind. The attention to detail is amazing, with the technology looking very much like an advancement of the stuff in the first film to the point it feels a little retro. Atari and pan am still advertise and all the little details work to make the film feel like a genuine sequel and set in the same universe.
Overall its not perfect but I would happily recommend it.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema today to see Happy Death Day. Groundhog Day meets Scream in this entertaining tongue in cheek horror flick as a bitchy college girl finds herself endlessly reliving the same day over and over again - the day that, no matter what she does, always ends with her being brutally murdered by a mysterious masked killer. This is an unremarkable but still fun piece of fluff that almost feels like a throwback to the late 90s post-Scream run of 'yoof' horror flicks, and there are worse things to be, it has to be said. Not great but perfectly watchable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!