Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2017, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Whilst reeling from the information that my Inside is FOR SALE ONLY ...

Lolita (1961)
I read a lot of books ... some are filled with fun & frolics .... some are written by Nabokov. Can you see where this is going??
So I sits and watches the Kubrick version .... with a sort of startled fascination. Somewhat like being prodded on a bus. James Mason uses that voice to sort of tell the tale that unfolds ... narrators being paragons of virtue always of course.
Its bewildering tango betwixt the source material and the need to pander to Murica is almost as entertaining as the story (as is) itself. Have always avoided this and the remake because the book was ... unique cough. Bring it on!

Now watching Inside. It's been a while. Did I mention the case has these 'brief case' style latches btw?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 16th October 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: hmmph
Old 15th October 2017, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dirty War 2004

A Islamic terrorist cell plan to use homemade radiation bombs around London which tests the government.

This film was made by the BBC and HBO network, there are two sides we see. It gets down to business straight away with emergency services doing a mock test to see if it would work, then we see the terrorist shipping in chemicals and make the bombs. This is just fiction to make us wonder "if this can happen" and how the government would deal with the chaos that ensures. It's not a big budget movie but it is interesting to watch, even though it has nothing on the movie THREADS. 8 out of 10.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Church (1989)

75/100
Old 15th October 2017, 07:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

th.jpg
ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU (1957)

Underwater sailor zombies protect sunken diamonds from treasure hunters...

Enjoyable horror that for some reason gets a bit of flack. A good atmosphere all through the film. A good start as in the opening scene, a man (?) is knocked down in the road and the driver does not stop. Why ? We soon find out.
Some creepy scenes here toward the end. Some of the undead are seen in half light and it looks good.
Recommended low budget zombie thrills.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A L'interieur (2007, Bustillo/ Maury)
A pleasant Sunday teatime film. Incipent motherhood is complicated for recently widowed Alysson Paradis by the unwelcome overtures made by a nurse, whom she crosses paths with whilst having a pre natal check up.
Recommended. Still as gripping in places .... still as Pythomesque in others

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th October 2017, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Church (1989)

75/100
Mate bought La Chiesa in Fopp. Hasn't seen it ... but liked the cover
Mine within 3 months I reckon

[B]
Old 15th October 2017, 08:05 PM
Cult Addict

The ritual

Went to see kingsman 2. My mother borrowed the first film while I was away and genuinely seemed to like it. She doesn't like going to the cinema on her own so I went along. After she left in a taxi I walked back into the cinema and bought a ticket to this. I wasn't sure what to expect but after watching that bundle of disappointment for the second time but I thought what the hell.
Ralph Spall, who is becoming steadily more like his father year on year (this is not a bad thing mind) plays Luke who with his friends plan yearly boys getaways to places like Vegas and Amsterdam. This year after seeing one of their old college friends brutally murdered and failing to do anything, Luke, plagued by guilt, heads off with his friends to go hiking in Sweden. While there one of the group injures his leg and the friends decide to take a shortcut through some dense Forrest. Naturally this being a horror movie its an awful idea and pretty soon the group find themselves in a hunters cabin where there is some kind of pagan idol. Things go downhill as the group find themselves hunted by something in the wood.
Sadly the screen I saw this in was empty. Kingsman 2 was still quite busy.This pretty much explains why so much we see in cinema's today is so bad. The ritual, while employing a lot of familiar horror tropes, uses them well and crafts something that feels genuinely fresh and inventive. Sadly if no one see's it Jigsaw is probably going to do solid business and Hollywood will decide to churn out dozens more of those instead. Then we'll get endless moaning on social media about why nothing interesting is being made.
If your Vue does this for £4.99 or you have one of those cineworld passes get this watched. The soundmix is great, there's no 'the lead character was just insane' cop outs and we get a well realised creature that is wisely introduced in stages and doesn't just run at the camera constantly shouting loudly like pennywise, or feature endless jump scares of cats leaping out of cupboards.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted Keir!!

Samurai Bells Of Death (1979, Hsueh Li Pao)
Needed to unwind after Inside, so stuck this on. Easily one of the most 'stretched' prints I have that isn't on 23rd Century . The plot is therefore null & void as I cannot see half the sets/action/cast half the time, and the rather Gainsborough dubbing just lends itself to a humorous reading of this .... epic
What a year.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 15th October 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 15th October 2017, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The ritual

Went to see kingsman 2. My mother borrowed the first film while I was away and genuinely seemed to like it. She doesn't like going to the cinema on her own so I went along. After she left in a taxi I walked back into the cinema and bought a ticket to this. I wasn't sure what to expect but after watching that bundle of disappointment for the second time but I thought what the hell.
Ralph Spall, who is becoming steadily more like his father year on year (this is not a bad thing mind) plays Luke who with his friends plan yearly boys getaways to places like Vegas and Amsterdam. This year after seeing one of their old college friends brutally murdered and failing to do anything, Luke, plagued by guilt, heads off with his friends to go hiking in Sweden. While there one of the group injures his leg and the friends decide to take a shortcut through some dense Forrest. Naturally this being a horror movie its an awful idea and pretty soon the group find themselves in a hunters cabin where there is some kind of pagan idol. Things go downhill as the group find themselves hunted by something in the wood.
Sadly the screen I saw this in was empty. Kingsman 2 was still quite busy.This pretty much explains why so much we see in cinema's today is so bad. The ritual, while employing a lot of familiar horror tropes, uses them well and crafts something that feels genuinely fresh and inventive. Sadly if no one see's it Jigsaw is probably going to do solid business and Hollywood will decide to churn out dozens more of those instead. Then we'll get endless moaning on social media about why nothing interesting is being made.
If your Vue does this for £4.99 or you have one of those cineworld passes get this watched. The soundmix is great, there's no 'the lead character was just insane' cop outs and we get a well realised creature that is wisely introduced in stages and doesn't just run at the camera constantly shouting loudly like pennywise, or feature endless jump scares of cats leaping out of cupboards.
The Mail on Sunday gave this a good write up. It sounds like one i'll be buying on dvd.
Old 16th October 2017, 07:00 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Mail on Sunday gave this a good write up. It sounds like one i'll be buying on dvd.
If your fortunate enough to live near a reasonably priced cinema its worth seeing theatrically. If your local is still one of those £10 places then I'd wait.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!