Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2017, 09:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cult of Chucky. Chucky's back... unfortunately. Nina (Fiona Dourif), now in a mental home after being convicted of murdering her family because no one believes Chucky did it, finds her doll-sized nemesis on his way back with a score to settle and some new tricks up his sleeve in this massively disappointing entry in the series. The previous entry, 2013's excellent Curse of Chucky, put things back on an old school track after the bloated self-indulgent failure of Seed of Chucky back in the early 2000s, but apparently writer-director Don Mancini hasn't learned from his mistake after all, because what we get served up here is much closer to that godawful mess than it is the lean and entertaining Curse. Make no mistake, I fricking hated this movie. I didn't want to, in fact I've been looking forward to it for ages, but crap this was bad. The plot is lopsided, convoluted and fairly nonsensical, and there's also a new and decidedly unwanted sense of unpleasent mean-spiritedness to the film with its excessive gore (not something the series has ever really needed before), the implied fate of Alice, the little girl from Curse, and the nature of Nina's psychiatrist. I ended up wholly disliking this film from top to bottom. A huge disappointment.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Er, enjoy yourself then D!

AANYway ....

The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari (1919, Robert Wiene)
Without which ..... Rather truncated dvd r (was stuck to the back of one of them ahem) ... nae tinting either! A lovely old chap builds a cabinet .... to store his beer in . A visit to a brewery is filled with hilarity. Must dig out my Eureka vhs methinks!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th October 2017, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Teenagers From Outer Space (1959)

When I stop laughing .... I'll write a review.
The most uptight aliens I've seen outside Farscape invade Earth. Hilarity ensues. Ophelia I can hear though so if I get cut off you'll have to excuse me ahem !!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th October 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict

The Snowman

Michael Fassbender plays detective Harry Hole investigating a killer with a penchant for killing people with a device like the one in Argento's Trauma. Harry is a drunk and somewhat troubled but he's a good detective so he begins tracking the killer who strikes when the snow is falling and leaves a snowman at his crime scenes.
A solid serial killer flick for people who like Nordic Noir. Its well paced and reasonable gripping. My only real complaint was Val Kilmer. Apparently he's been struggling with throat cancer. They've had to dub him and they have done a real half arsed job doing it. Its genuinely jarring when he opens his mouth and I suddenly think I'm playing a psone game.
Old 17th October 2017, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had a Mario Bava penciled in for the weekend but the only thing that was spinning in the player was the second series of Thomas the Tank Engine which my 2-year old daughter has recently discovered. But lovely to watch her thrilled by the sight of David Mitton's model trains coming down the track. It's kinda fitting that I've been rediscovering Thomas this weekend, I've also been rediscovering Blur's 1993 album Modern Life is Rubbish, the tenuous connection being the album cover which features a Mallard steam engine. I need to investigate those BFI Transport films next !

Old 17th October 2017, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict

Avoid the Thomas film with Peter Fonda, it's awful.
Wes and Susan Foreman like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th October 2017, 02:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr. Terrors house of horror 1965

Five men in a rail carriage are told their fortune by a mysterious man Dr Shreck.

This film was made by the rival company of Hammer movies Amicus, this one is enjoyable and atmospheric. Peter Cushing plays the role of Dr Schreck very well and can be creepy. Even though the title says "house of horror", its what Dr Schreck calls his tarrot cards. Each story has a fantastical or supernatural twist.

The stories are as follows:

Jim Dawson (Neil McCallum )travels to his old Scottish family home as the new owner wants some work done discovers a secret involving a werewolf.

bill Rogers (Allan Freeman) returns home to find a strange plant in his garden that will kill anything in its path.

Biff Bailey (Roy Castle) travels to the West Indies and discovers voodoo can have a nasty effect.

Franklyn Marsh (Christopher Lee) a art critic who takes out a act of revenge which comes back to haunt him.

Bob Carroll (Donald Sutherland) marries a French woman who is hiding a dark secret.

This is one to watch with the lights out 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr-terror-s-house-of-horrors-1965.jpg (89.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th October 2017, 02:08 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Dr. Terrors house of horror 1965

Five men in a rail carriage are told their fortune by a mysterious man Dr Shreck.

This film was made by the rival company of Hammer movies Amicus, this one is enjoyable and atmospheric. Peter Cushing plays the role of Dr Schreck very well and can be creepy. Even though the title says "house of horror", its what Dr Schreck calls his tarrot cards. Each story has a fantastical or supernatural twist.

The stories are as follows:

Jim Dawson (Neil McCallum )travels to his old Scottish family home as the new owner wants some work done discovers a secret involving a werewolf.

bill Rogers (Allan Freeman) returns home to find a strange plant in his garden that will kill anything in its path.

Biff Bailey (Roy Castle) travels to the West Indies and discovers voodoo can have a nasty effect.

Franklyn Marsh (Christopher Lee) a art critic who takes out a act of revenge which comes back to haunt him.

Bob Carroll (Donald Sutherland) marries a French woman who is hiding a dark secret.

This is one to watch with the lights out 8 out of 10.
Amicus were brilliant with these portmanteau films - so atmospheric. I'd be far more excited if someone had brought back Amicus vs any other horror studio.
Old 17th October 2017, 02:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Amicus were brilliant with these portmanteau films - so atmospheric. I'd be far more excited if someone had brought back Amicus vs any other horror studio.

I agree with you Almar, Vault of Horror is next on my list to watch, that one was darker and more atmospheric. V/H/S trilogy and The Theatre Bizarre and the best anthology movies recently the latest one i saw XX was a bit disappointing.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th October 2017, 02:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I agree with you Almar, Vault of Horror is next on my list to watch, that one was darker and more atmospheric. V/H/S trilogy and The Theatre Bizarre and the best anthology movies recently the latest one i saw XX was a bit disappointing.
Vault rules - it is my favourite of theirs - just love the concept. I gave up trying to get a decent HE release of it - last one I watched was the VIPCO one - pan and scan with some interesting moments of damage!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!