Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2017, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Astral Factor (1978)
Hmmm. I have a mildly betterer print of this as Invisible Strangler it seems
A crazed killer stalks the city. Hardbitten Lt Robert Foxworth (so great in The Questor Tapes) is the man on the case. Elke Sommer's in it ... as is the future Mrs Hart
Undemanding.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st October 2017, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched Aliens. The Theatrical cut.
"Eat THIS!!"
With this quip I knew we were in a different place to the sombre, moodridden atmos of the first

Or

If Alien is Joy Division
Then this is Slade

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st October 2017, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Key (1984, Tinto Brass). Arrow Films UK dvd.

Frank Finlay finds ways to finger his frigid frau in this rather coy Europudding that is half in unsubtitled Italian anyhow .... so I may be wrong about even that. Jess would have had a ball with this story.
Brass I've always found to be too 'dry' a director. AND IVE TRIED Cthulhu knows I have ....

Next!!

[B]
Old 21st October 2017, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Trap (1982, Sidney Lumet)

Right after Prince Of The City ... a somewhat more serious film came this little confection. Recommended highly ... mainly for the cast ... Reeve, Caine and Cannon ....not the portly tv detective .... Dyan Cannon . See a stagey premise! Hear Michael SHOUTING . A frothy watch all round .....

[B]
Old 21st October 2017, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Alien 3. Theatrical with the comm. Extended version on Sunday methinks. So ....
"Sit the FOOK down!!"

[B]
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Good comm. Barely scratches the surface mind. Recommended.
Justin101, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:40 AM
Cult Addict

Blair Witch Project
A group of students go into a forest to investigate a local legend. After the first couple of days, they get lost and are hearing noises at night.
Demdike said it before in a previous post, this film impacted the genre for better or for worse, depending on your view. But how they approachedit using subtlety wrks in its favour.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Rezort (2015)

The British zombie movie is alive and kicking thanks to this Steve Barker of Outpost (2008) fame.

Barker's film isn't exactly original as it borrows heavily from Jurassic Park and adds zombies. A hell of a lot of zombies. This could easily be seen as a sequel to Romero's original Dead trilogy.

After a long war between humans and zombies in which the humans win, the zombies are all carted off to a secure island where they are hunted for sport. The first half hour explains the hows and whys and shows us INGEN style why the island compounds are impenetrable and perfectly safe for our holidaying hunters, except of course things go wrong and we watch as one hunting party led by Dougray Scott and Arrow's Jessica De Gouw attempt to flee the island before the authorities fire bomb it.

I have to admit that i really enjoyed The Rezort. It has a decent budget and great island locations. The cast are strong (It was nice to see the lovely Claire Goose on screen again) and the hunting party are all characters worth rooting for, even the at first seemingly annoying gamers who won the experience via an internet shoot em' up aren't as dumb as they first seem but are totally out of their depth when it comes to actually aiming and firing real weapons. Barker keeps the film moving once the initial exposition is over and thrusts us into some interesting 'will they, won't they' scenarios.

The Rezort is the best zombie film i've seen in a few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-rezort-1-500x760.jpg (79.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:24 PM
Cult Addict

Just thought i'd mention that Alejandro Jodorowsky's film 'Dance of Reality" is on film four tonight at 12.55 if anyone likes his stuff.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Rezort (2015)

The Rezort is the best zombie film i've seen in a few years.
I completely agree with you in that it is derivative, but very well made and hugely entertaining.

With the 28 Days Later meets Westworld meets Jurassic Park setup, I was anticipating an unoriginal yawn fest, but was very impressed by the whole thing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!