Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2017, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched half of Leprechaun Origins with the wife last night, oh dear! We knew it would be bad but it just wasn't engaging at all. A pair of rich American couples (well, students who can afford to not go to Harvard if they don't want to) are spending the last of their holiday in Ireland when they get talked into staying into a creepy cabin by a guy in a bar (essentially the Irish version of The Slaughtered Lamb). Needless to say it's a bad idea, as they find themselves locked in said cabin unable to escape. Looks like the locals have served them up as some kind of offering to the titular creature (never seen as it's so badly lit, and played by a wrestler?????).
It also adds "leprechaun vision" for some pov scrambles through "closed just in time" doors & the photography is great for the opening daylight scenes but overall, terrible. We gave up at 41 mins in.

Think we'd rather grab the first 5 Leprechaun films for a tenner & enjoy Warwick Davies having a laugh with it all!
Old 30th October 2017, 01:48 PM
Cult Addict

Piranha

A couple go to a military testing facility and are eaten. Their friend goes to find them and unwittingly lets piranhas escape. Now she and a drunk have to stop them killing everyone.

Meh, its alright. The acting is fine, considering its another corman film. Boobs and blood are all that kept me going.

6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 30th October 2017, 03:18 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Humanoids from the Deep
Sea monsters terrorize a small town, by killing their dogs and rape the woman. Its now up to a group of people to figure out a way to stop them.
Its ok, the monster effects and gore is great. Its a B movie so acting is not important. Probably would watch it again, but I won't buy it.
6/10
Is that the uncut version? Some are cut and some not.
Old 30th October 2017, 03:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Is that the uncut version? Some are cut and some not.
It was on Netflix so I'm guessing its cut

Old 30th October 2017, 03:23 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
It was on Netflix so I'm guessing its cut

I was watching the Original My Bloody Valentine last night and that was cut too,What is the purpose of showing cut versions of films in this day and age?
Old 30th October 2017, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
I was watching the Original My Bloody Valentine last night and that was cut too,What is the purpose of showing cut versions of films in this day and age?
No idea

Old 30th October 2017, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

The death of Stalin

The murderous thug has been turning up a lot on social media these days. Usually invoked when I challenge people on my Facebook feed posting 'Hitler was misunderstood' or 'Hitler was a strong leader who would have stood up to terrorists'. As soon as I chime in that 'no, Hitler was a genocidal madman' immediately said numpty will respond 'Stalin was worse'. Besides the bad taste of comparing bodycounts of two of the 20th century's biggest c*** I find it somehow weird logic that its ok to like one of them because the other is worse. Or that an intense hatred of one means I must really like the other guy, even though I'm talking to a Nazi so communism is irrelevant to the situation. Put me in a room with a Stalanist and I'll say the same thing.
Anyhoo.. The film has been somewhat controversial in that it plays the death of Stalin and the subsequent power struggle that ensued as a comedy. I would argue it totally works however. Firstly the film at no point downplays the horrors committed under Stalin. In fact the film relies on exactly how deadly things were under his regime to up the stakes for each character who must scheme and manoeuvre without really knowing if the person he is scheming with can ever fully be trusted. Certainly the desperate actions of each character can be, and often are funny. The film still maintains an extremely dark edge to things to remind you these are real characters and this is for the most part how things played out (though I'm sure a historian might correct a few things.
For all the people who complain good films don't get made anymore. Heres one. Though I suspect most will go see Jigsaw instead and complain how nothing original or good is made anymore while Hollywood looks at box office and makes more of the one people went to see.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)

53/100
Old 30th October 2017, 05:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Found (2012)

55/100
Old 30th October 2017, 05:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dead and Breakfast (2004)

60/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!